Gutted.

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Just got back from Whinlatter... one of my all time fav trails!

But, very disappointed with the bike :(

Great at climbing, comfortable to ride but...

Descending the tight, twisty, slippy and fast trail was just no fun. The bike was twitchy, had no grip, I felt a fair bit of flex in the back end and I was having yet more trouble with my SRAM gears (I really don't like the shifters).

Depressing or what!

Going to give the fork a service to make sure that was ok (it did feel fine but you never know).

Whats worse, I was wishing i'd taken a hardtail... even the P7!

bigfistfulofmeh/10.

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    What tyres are you running? Whinlatter is quite tyre sensitive, particularly in the damp. The locals do like Panaracer Rampage SC and insist that nothing else will work that well there (although a few of my mates have used Nevegal StickE and other similar stuff).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The bike was twitchy, had no grip, I felt a fair bit of flex in the back end and I was having yet more trouble with my SRAM gears (I really don't like the shifters).
    What bike is that on? I tried a Meta years ago, and had a similar feel about the bendy back end, but I presumed they'd stiffened it up by now.

And, I can't put my finger on it, but I don't like my SRAM gears. I'm willing something to die, so I have a valid excuse to replace it with Shimano :lol:
  • minion supertacky single ply on the front and minion maxxpro on the rear.

Same tyre's i've always used :(

Never had this issue at Whinlatter before, usually I come away beaming... but it just didn't click today!
  • The bike was twitchy, had no grip, I felt a fair bit of flex in the back end and I was having yet more trouble with my SRAM gears (I really don't like the shifters).
    What bike is that on? I tried a Meta years ago, and had a similar feel about the bendy back end, but I presumed they'd stiffened it up by now.

And, I can't put my finger on it, but I don't like my SRAM gears. I'm willing something to die, so I have a valid excuse to replace it with Shimano :lol:

Yea on the Meta. Its just with Whinlatter, there is loads going on... roots, drops, berms all in the same few seconds. Something thats hard to find elsewhere... which is why I really like the trail.
    At one point it felt like the rear was going to overtake me, as though it was on a completely different line!
    Or as you lean in, the front will go but the rear stays on the same track... causing everything to lose grip.

Maybe i'm at my own limits (I didn't feel it, if i'm honest I descended much much quicker on the P7/Surge) or i'm at the bikes limit.

I'm in the same boat with SRAM.. If I had the cash i'd be ditching it immediately. I've got used to the rear mech and how (stupid) it feels, but the shifters are utter utter turd.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Maybe you were just having an off day, it happens. Or the conditions threw you off. If you're shifters are stressing you out that could affect your mind for riding so that could have something to do with it. Something like that could throw you off for a whole ride.
    Now if I had sram I would want to change them too. I prefer Shimano too.
    Next time eh!
    Many happy trails!
  • You could just be having a bad day dude. Happens to me alot as well!

Either way, sucks theres some disappointment there.
  • Anonymous
    Maybe the meta just isn't an aggressive enough frame for you.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Off day I think. I sometimes ride my bikes and wonder what I see in them, and then realise it is me, not the bike. Basically, I'm shit.
  • supersonic
    Check tyre pressures? I have to run 30psi or more in my rear (tyre), or when cornering sometimes I get a similar vague feeling at the back as it squirms slightly. This may cause you grip probs too.
  • Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    minions aren't the best in slippy mud either
  • Yah I checked pressures after the 1st descent, went from 40 to 30psi which made a slightdifference. Can't go too low at Whinlatter as there is a load of sharp rocks!

Now that I've calmed down a bit I'm going to put it down to riding the Cwmcarn every almost every weekend for the last 6 months.I need more variety.
    I think the ride today has shown that knowing the trail makes things easy, and I've probably forgotten all the correct lines around Whinlatter.

But I think its also shown me that the stuff at Cwmcarn is a bit tamer and less technical (unless I ride the DH obv.) than stuff I have ridden.

Plus, I've probably been looking forward to this ride for too long (well I have driven about 500 miles!!) I think I was expecting far too much!

Hopefully the Norco can bring in a bit of variety to keep me interested!

Today was a massive let down though :(
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Now that I've calmed down a bit I'm going to put it down to riding the Cwmcarn every almost every weekend for the last 6 months.I need more variety.

But I think its also shown me that the stuff at Cwmcarn is a bit tamer and less technical (unless I ride the DH obv.) than stuff I have ridden.

:(

1st point: it's cos you're always away at places like winlatter when we ride elsewhere :wink::lol:

2nd point: yeah, there's nothing that isn't rollable at cwmcarn, the faster you ride it the more interesting it becomes but it's definately not the most technical trail is it :D
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    possibly it has been dry for a couple of weeks and then a little bit of rain makes the surface slippy but the hard ground underneath makes it super twitchy, don't worry too much about it, we all have off days
  • welshkev wrote:

:(

1st point: it's cos you're always away at places like winlatter when we ride elsewhere :wink::lol:

2nd point: yeah, there's nothing that isn't rollable at cwmcarn, the faster you ride it the more interesting it becomes but it's definitely not the most technical trail is it :D

1) yeah you bastards :lol:

2) I'm not saying I don't like Cwmcarn, I think its a cracking trail! especially as its only 25 mins from my flat! The new route that Ian showed us last week is brilliant!
    However, I drove 2 hrs each way today.... so I wanted it to be so much better :(
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I've ridden Whinlatter 4 or 5 times,always on Minions(42aF,60aR)always run about 30psi(I'm 14st)Only done it once in the dry and have never had any trouble with grip only that the trail just doesn't flow :roll:
    I know some people rave about it but I think its OK at best.I'd ride it again if I was in the area for a few days and just fancied a quick blast but certainly wouldn't drive the 140 miles just to ride it.
    Maybe you're just used to it and riding faster?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    the meta is abit flexy imo, i rode one at BRL last year and it was a huge dissapointment, one of the worst bikes i rode all weekend. i assume you have the standard qr rear end and not the maxle dropouts fitted? im loving the stiffness of my HD140 with the maxle rear end, it feels super planted and i cant feel any twist or flex from it, which i found i could with the meta and the standard mojo, might be worth trying out to see if it fixes the problem, or like others have said, you could just have had an off day :lol:
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    Just got back from Whinlatter... one of my all time fav trails!

But, very disappointed with the bike :(

Great at climbing, comfortable to ride but...

Descending the tight, twisty, slippy and fast trail was just no fun. The bike was twitchy, had no grip, I felt a fair bit of flex in the back end and I was having yet more trouble with my SRAM gears (I really don't like the shifters).

Depressing or what!

Going to give the fork a service to make sure that was ok (it did feel fine but you never know).

Whats worse, I was wishing i'd taken a hardtail... even the P7!

bigfistfulofmeh/10.

I have to say that i like that twitchy feel i get from my Meta it gives me a good feeling that i'm riding at the edge of my abilities. Although i'm still getting used to riding a full suss so over time i'll probably get used to it a little more.

As for SRAM me and my riding mate both took our Meta's (he copied me) in for there 6 week check and we both mentioned that the X9 rear mech wasn't engaging properly so we just put it down to cable stretch. Anyway we both got a phonecall on friday telling us that both had to be sent off to the distributor for waranty issues, the lad in the shop says that they have had a lot of problems with last years X9 i just hope i get my bike back by the weekend as i've been out twice on my hardtail in the last few days and it just feels wrong.
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • meh... I did try a few bikes and read a load of reviews (iirc, it got 4 stars in wmb and was described as a "playful bike".).

Maxle might be the way forward. its bloody expensive though, especially if it doesn't work out!

I tried a normal meta before buying, along with a Lapierre and a Trance. I was going to buy an Orange Blood and I hope i'm not starting to regret choosing the Meta.... I wanted a frame to push further and harder, but it did feel a bit limited today.

meh, time to sleep on it I think and forget it. a few tweeks may be needed!
  • Phillw454
    Phillw454 Posts: 101
    I had a slightly similar experience with my bike the 1st time I pointed it down a hill after week or so of owning it. It was a very rocky trial that I had not ridden, seemed hard enough walking up it, my feet slipping off the rocks and even just pushing the bike I felt the rear slip off lots of the small wet rocks.

I got to the top pointed it down and It felt ok, the back felt loose but held up on the *iffy* landings on the drops and berms. But just felt un-stuck overall and like I had to work hard just to keep the back in line.

Then lately I tried a similar trial in the dry and it was a world apart. Back felt completely solid and fully confident.

Maybe as people have said try a different tyre or just find a similar but new trial and give that a go.

All else fails I'm sure you can exchange/sell it for it for a bike you prefer.

Don't judge it all on a ride or two give it a couple of weeks to feel at home on the bike.
  • Anonymous
    "Trail"

I've never personally seen the meta as a bike to be pushed hard. Too light and spindly. You've got to be careful when reading reviews to pick up what context they're talking about though. If they're talking about long-ish travel bikes under 28lbs, then they won't expect as much from it as a 35lb rig.
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940

Maxle might be the way forward. its bloody expensive though, especially if it doesn't work out!

I disagree. Bolt through is a good solution to a stiffness problem, however Maxles are probably the worst solution to a problem that didn't even exist.

Bolts take 5 seconds to remove with a multitool. Maxles take 3 seconds to remove, without a multitool (which you will be carrying anyway).

Difference is, the Maxle will need to be tightened every 5 minutes.

It's an absolute pile of junk. Why on earth they put it on DH bikes I will never know. I hate the fact that I check the Maxle before I drop in, simply because I don't trust that it's tight.

Considering getting the dropouts on the Shocker machined to take a normal bolt through.

/rant
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621

I need more variety.
    I think the ride today has shown that knowing the trail makes things easy, and I've probably forgotten all the correct lines around Whinlatter.

I totally agree with the above statement.

I think riding the same trail centers week in week out can flatter your skills and lul you into the false belief that you are a better rider than you actually are.

Find a rideable but previously unridden section of bridleway to see what I mean.

Variety is the key to becoming a better rider.
  • Anonymous
    yoohoo999, I found that my problems with the rear maxle were being caused by seized wheel bearings! It still needs to be done up tight though, and is not as good a solution as a bolt thru.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yoohoo999, I found that my problems with the rear maxle were being caused by seized wheel bearings! It still needs to be done up tight though, and is not as good a solution as a bolt thru.

ahhhhhh
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    A mate rides a 2007 Meta 5:5:1(the one with the 4-bar rear end) and he's always said the front fork let it down and it felt "twitchy" he's just put a 2nd hand Pike with a bolt-through on it and says the bike is now 100% better 8) He says the rear always feels planted.
    I've ridden it a few times and it doesn't feel as slack as my Enduro and I always felt as if I was too far forward even though its(technically) a size too big for me :roll:
  • Anonymous
    nicklouse wrote:

ahhhhhh
    :lol: yeah, you remember that debacle then!
    I spent most of last year thinking I was seriously unfit, until i realised the effort it took to rotate the wheel :lol:
  • supersonic
    If the flex is in the pivots and linkages, or swingarm, a maxle wiill amplify it.
  • I want my HT back :cry:
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    I want my HT back :cry:

Give it time, after 3 rides of my hard tail i can't wait to get my Meta back. Seriously put it down to a bad day and try and forget about it, ride it at the weekend and get the smile back on your face :D
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • Muttly1981 wrote:
    I want my HT back :cry:

Give it time, after 3 rides of my hard tail i can't wait to get my Meta back. Seriously put it down to a bad day and try and forget about it, ride it at the weekend and get the smile back on your face :D

Or he could always trade the meta with me! I'd be willing to send a hardtail that I have laying around for a swap. Albeit nowhere near the same price!