single speed advice

2»

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    ladeside09, where is your commute, are you near Glasgow? Just like to know other people's routes.... I know most folk know mine..... :wink:

On the SS/FG debate, I am SS now as I like the test on one gear, but also enjoy the relaxation that the free wheel gives, and the decreased maintainence is a bonus.

I could not care about being some "cool" fixed gear afficianado, although I now have pretty cool handlebar tape on the old Elan and do like the lovely retro look of it.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Butterd2 wrote:
    I don't really believe many people buy SS because it is cheaper (right now I think the marketing people are taking the p!ss with the prices of SS/FG bikes as they are in fashion). Or that the maintenance is reduced (I spend more time fettling the FG than the road bike), it is about the look.

Meh, quite possibly for a certain kind of person, but I think there will be plenty of people out there like me who bought a SS/fixie because it was cheap, light and nippy. I tried both sides of the flip-flop and decided freewheel worked best for where I cycle and the style of riding I enjoy. If that makes me less cool than you crazy-cat hipsters out there than I will just have to find a way to deal with it. :)

:lol: A crazy cat hipster I am not. Don't be so insecure about not being able to ride fixed.....

(joke)
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    El Gordo wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:
    I don't really believe many people buy SS because it is cheaper (right now I think the marketing people are taking the p!ss with the prices of SS/FG bikes as they are in fashion). Or that the maintenance is reduced (I spend more time fettling the FG than the road bike), it is about the look.

On the contrary, I've wondered about getting a SS/FG becasue they are cheap and low maintenance but am concerned people will look at me and think I'm a fasion victim. :?

Nah, not if you live in Derbyshire. Shoreditch maybe :wink:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Butterd2 wrote:
    However as we seem to agree SS has most of the downsides of FG (and there are several) but none of the upsides of gears and therefore gives the worst of both worlds (bit like a Hybrid really).

Really? I thought that a SS would avoid the potential pedal strikes and crazy spinny downhill legs of a FG but keeps the light weight, reliability, simplicity, low cost, efficient chainline etc. plus the fun of having a pretty much direct correlation between effort and speed. Compared to gears a SS obviously loses, well... gears, but keeps the upside of having a freewheel. Seems like the best of both worlds to me.

I'm interested because I'm building up a SS hack from a frame that I acquired.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    With SS you can never escape the niggling suspicion that you may actually be a Wuss.

Cheers,
    W.

PS Joking aside, I like the fixed-feeling: It's just like riding a bike, only more so.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    SS has a few advantages - no danger of pedal strike on a kerb, can use a 9 o'clock position on the pedals when going through puddles or over bumps, bunny hops much easier.

Still staying fixed though.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Hi,
    With SS you can never escape the niggling suspicion that you may actually be a Wuss.

Cheers,
    W.

PS Joking aside, I like the fixed-feeling: It's just like riding a bike, only more so.

As opposed to this guy who is clearly as hard as nails.

3471801899_7baf190394.jpg

The funny thing is, even though you and buttered2 say you are joking, there are plenty of people out there who do believe that riding fixed makes them more of a man. Bizarre :lol:
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 wrote:
    However as we seem to agree SS has most of the downsides of FG (and there are several) but none of the upsides of gears and therefore gives the worst of both worlds (bit like a Hybrid really).

Really? I thought that a SS would avoid the potential pedal strikes and crazy spinny downhill legs of a FG but keeps the light weight, reliability, simplicity, low cost, efficient chainline etc. plus the fun of having a pretty much direct correlation between effort and speed. Compared to gears a SS obviously loses, well... gears, but keeps the upside of having a freewheel. Seems like the best of both worlds to me.

I'm interested because I'm building up a SS hack from a frame that I acquired.

Taking those one at a time;
    1) Light weight - my road bike is 4kg lighter that my FG
    2) Reliability - the gears have never failed on my road bike
    3) Simplicity- I don't find my Scott overly complex to be honest.
    4) Low cost - not compared to what you are actually getting - bet the margins are higher on SS's.
    5) Efficient Chainline - if you really are at the level you notice chainline efficiency then I look forward to seeing you compete in the forthcoming Olympics.
    6) My geared bike gives me correlation between effort and speed, the harder I pedal the faster I go? If you want true correlation between leg speed and bike speed you have to ride fixed.

As an aside I did a sportive the other week with a guy who I had not ridden with since starting to ride fixed. He said my riding style had changed completely and I do think I ride the road bike more smoothly and pedal more consistently as I am now conditioned to always be pedalling.

Anyway I have clearly hit a raw nerve with the SS brigade so apologies, I'm sure they are lovely really.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Butterd2
    Hi,

Cheers,
    W.

Precisely, I do it for the "fixed" feeling not because I only want one gear. If I could get a multi geared Fixed I probably would.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Butterd2
    Hi,

Cheers,
    W.

Precisely, I do it for the "fixed" feeling not because I only want one gear. If I could get a multi geared Fixed I probably would.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • jonny_trousers
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Anyway I have clearly hit a raw nerve with the SS brigade so apologies, I'm sure they are lovely really.

No need to apologise; we just have chips on our shoulders because we are less skilful, manly and cool. :lol:
  • jonny_trousers
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Hi,

Cheers,
    W.

You can. There's a Sturmy Archer fixed 3-speed hub.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Hi,

Cheers,
    W.

You can. There's a Sturmy Archer fixed 3-speed hub.

Yeah IIRC the reviews said it was a bit sh!t?
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Butterd2 wrote:

Taking those one at a time;
    1) Light weight - my road bike is 4kg lighter that my FG
    So? Take the cassette, derailleurs etc. off your roadbike in order to convert it to SS and it will be lighter than it is now.

2) Reliability - the gears have never failed on my road bike
    Thanks for the anecdote. Again, so? There are more bits to go wrong with gears. Statistically you are reducing your time to failure (assuming that you don't use a hugely crap SS freewheel).

3) Simplicity- I don't find my Scott overly complex to be honest.
    I'm glad. I don't think that geared bikes are over complex, just more complex (mechanically and in terms of feel) than SSs.

4) Low cost - not compared to what you are actually getting - bet the margins are higher on SS's.
    Very possibly, I can imagine Evans et al. enjoying fleecing the hipsters when and however possible. But it should still be possible to build an SS cheaper than a geared bike using the same frame, wheels etc.

5) Efficient Chainline - if you really are at the level you notice chainline efficiency then I look forward to seeing you compete in the forthcoming Olympics.
    True, probably not much difference there. Although I assume that you may as well get it right if building an SS/FG.

[6) My geared bike gives me correlation between effort and speed, the harder I pedal the faster I go? If you want true correlation between leg speed and bike speed you have to ride fixed.
    True, all bikes give you a correlation between effort and speed. Assuming that you are actually pedalling the bike, SS and FG should give you the same direct correlation between effort, leg speed and bike speed. But having that correlation in all situations is not what I'm after, I'd like to freewheel when I want to.

Similarly you seem to be very keen to leap to the defence of FG as the best thing since sliced bread. I'm not a member of the SS brigade. I'm building my first one at the moment, it seemed simpler and cheaper than buying a newgroupset, and going SS was simpler than going FG since it involved just sticking a single sprocket on the existing (MTB) freewheel.
  • Butterd2

Similarly you seem to be very keen to leap to the defence of FG as the best thing since sliced bread. I'm not a member of the SS brigade. I'm building my first one at the moment, it seemed simpler and cheaper than buying a newgroupset, and going SS was simpler than going FG since it involved just sticking a single sprocket on the existing (MTB) freewheel.

Sorry but if you read my posts that is not what I am saying. My road bike is the best thing since sliced bread, I enjoy FG and don't get SS (or FG lite :wink: .)

If you have just decided to build an SS then I am very happy for you and please don't be embarrassed when you meet someone on an FG, remember you are very nearly as cool.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    P
    U

D
    N
    I
    W Merchant.
  • Butterd2
    P
    U

D
    N
    I
    W Merchant.

Yeah sorry, bored and hungover today. Last post on this thread.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Butterd2 wrote:
    Sorry but if you read my posts that is not what I am saying. My road bike is the best thing since sliced bread, I enjoy FG and don't get SS (or FG lite :wink: .)

If you have just decided to build an SS then I am very happy for you and please don't be embarrassed when you meet someone on an FG, remember you are very nearly as cool.

I'll try to choke down my embarrassment as I freewheel past them! :D
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    SS is fun, currently borrowing my uncles waiting for my frame to arrive, about a 4 mile commute but very hilly (if i go in that direction).

Yesterday i took the hilly route, 51mph head gust winds the lot and it was soo much fun and slightly slow motion haha.

I would'nt buy one however personally, always been into gears its just not my cup of tea but from you're perspective you can get away with it easily and yes very low maintenece. If you can i'd try and borrow one for the day and see how it goes, see what you prefer.
  • alright troops, sorry guys did not mean to start a SS /FG war here -lol

wallac1495 - I cycle from Kilbirnie to Ross hall hospital near Cardonald virtually all cycle path -then from there it's a cat a mouse game along Paisley rd west avoiding all the arseholes down towards the clyde -across bells bridge -past SECC -along st vincent st then to my work

reason I thought a SS would be better is I commute all year on my cyclocross but thought the low maintence would be better for the dark winter months

also I have a wife that nags I spend too much time cleaning an lubing the bike etc than with her -lol

anything for a quiet life
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    ladeside09 wrote:
    ...also I have a wife that nags I spend too much time cleaning an lubing the bike etc than with her -lol

anything for a quiet life

Stop the nagging. Get a low maintenance fixie and spend the time cleaning and lubing the wife instead!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Steady .................lol