single speed advice

ladeside09
ladeside09 Posts: 39
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
folks, need some advice- I'm considering buying a single speed bike for commuting to work - I cycle approx 23 miles mainly along flat canal paths and main roads etc - very few hills, been looking at the pro's and con's of single speed bikes -

can anyone who uses a single speed bike let me know if they are okay for this sort of distance - (only cycle one way as I jump the train at night) so will be approx 23 miles per day

fancy the idea of hardly any maintance etc

also any good recomendations for single speed bikes (flat bars) that can take paniers and mudguards - looking at a Genesis Day one (2009) model for £300 new just now - any other suggestions
any help is appreciated
cheers

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    If it's flat you'll be fine with a SS.
    If you're after really low maintenance could always go for a Trek District with a belt drive?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I want a belt drive, I'd ideally like to convert my pista but I'll need to get a framebuilder invloved.

on topic; yes a SS will be fine ride the route only using only one gear and voila there's your acid test and with a couple of rides you'll sort your gearing for the new bike too
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I can't recommend the District highly enough, even in standard trim it is very sprightly and maintenance is as close to zero as you can get.

Added to this there is no grease or oil to worry about smearing on your trousers.

There are a few other belties out there now as well, the Distric isn't the only game in town any more.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I hear there are issues with the pedal threads in the cranks on Trek belties, apparently melted wax is harder :wink:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    redvee wrote:
    I hear there are issues with the pedal threads in the cranks on Trek belties, apparently melted wax is harder :wink:

No, it's simply the atomic power of my right thigh ( not helped by the initial bike shop cross threading the pedal on assembly) :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    short answer yes, i normally just ride to work which is only 4 miles there, but now and then take longer trips and yes it's fine,

The belt drives do look fun, but single speed chains are tough stuff, so not sure you really do gain much really.

I went for a revolution track, which is fairly cheap and copes with mild off road paths as well as whipping along the open road.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    23 miles sounds like quite a distance to me. I do a 15 mile round trip on a single speed and it does the job nicely, but I do often wish for at least a few gears. When there's a nasty headwind I'd like to have a gear or two to drop down to. When my legs are feeling great, I'd like to have an extra couple to go up to. Apart from anything, having gears to play with must add an extra fun element to riding.

If you want simplicity then you could consider a hub geared bike. If you want to ride fixed then a SS is pretty much your only option. If you want cheap then SS does offer better value for money and the Genesis you mention does get great revues.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I do 28 miles a day on canal path/roads on a fixed gear. On a windy day it can be a bit of a slog but I would never go back to gears.

The Genesis is a good choice but for long distances drop bars are far more comfortable. The Day one could be adapted to drop bars with suitable levers and bars so not overly difficult or expensive to do.
  • jonny_trousers
    pastryboy wrote:
    The Genesis is a good choice but for long distances drop bars are far more comfortable. The Day one could be adapted to drop bars with suitable levers and bars so not overly difficult or expensive to do.

They already do an off-the-peg drop bar Day-One. I totally agree though, for those kind of distances, the hand position options offered by drops make sense.
  • pastryboy
    There is indeed but as I found out when I went to order one the drop bar variant sold out fairly quick - if he can get the flat bar for £300 I think it's a very good buy. There's at least two people on this very forum riding around with Day Ones that were converted from flat to drops me being one of them.
  • jonny_trousers
    pastryboy wrote:
    There is indeed but as I found out when I went to order one the drop bar variant sold out fairly quick - if he can get the flat bar for £300 I think it's a very good buy. There's at least two people on this very forum riding around with Day Ones that were converted from flat to drops me being one of them.

The chrome finish on the flat bar bike looks way nicer than the orange too.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    A flat(ish) 20+ mile commute and you want a low maintenance SS?
    How about the lowest maintenance SS (chained bike) you can get and go fixed?

I am genuinely surprised how good my fixed is on the hills.
    Freewheels wear out and need replacing much more frequently than a track sprocket does*. Should be cheaper too (by about a fiver).

*I'm guessing here as I've only been riding fixed for a month!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • thanks very much folks for all your feedback guys, at the moment I have raleigh cyclocross bike which is great so I must be nuts to consider going to a single speed but it sounds good and I like the low maintance part which is better for the winter etc- might be blowing oot my backside but think i'll give it a go

I looked up review on the Trek district -ta - looks good but the cheapest I see it on the web for is £450 - £150 more than the Genesis - my MTB is a Genesis just now so I know they are good bikes

might just plump for the 09 flat bar then

thanks agin folks -much appreciated
  • EKE_38BPM
    As has been said, drops are advisable. More hand positions and you can duck out of the wind (a bit).

Otherwise, go for it and have fun.

• I ride 100mile+ training rides on my SS... Just get one. No fuss, minimal maintenance, and any day where there is a nasty headwind is a day where you get to have a can of MTFU and push out some strength training. Conversely, with a nice tailwind or downhill, you can learn how to spin at speeds the washing machine would get jealous of. Get one, ride it for a week and post back to let us know how much you love it!
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    edited March 2011
    I do rides around 16 miles off road on one without too much severe pain, so for a flat 23 mile road and canal path route a SS will be fine.

However,
    Why not build one up yourself, a nice steel frame, some PX model B's and clearance/2nd hand finishing kit and stuff will get you just a nice SS with exactly the spec you want, as well as it being unique, which is nice.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • pastryboy
    Buy it.

First you'll run single speed and think actually this is fine, why did I bother with gears at all I have up to this point been wasting time and effort faffing about with gears - I have seen the light.

Then you'll think hmm I wonder what riding fixed is like, I don't want to wear tight jeans but a lot of people seem to rave about it and I do have a flip flop hub so what the heck I'll give a cheap sprocket and lockring and give it a bash.

Then you'll start riding fixed and be like, yeah this is much better I don't even need to use my brakes any more - my bike is totally silent and there's no pawls or other bullshit to go wrong - my chain never skips and I don't need to waste my weekend on maintenance. Then you'll be like oh shit my thighs are getting really big and I have awesome power now. Then you'll be like hey that trackstand stuff looks cool and you'll learn to trackstand at the lights whilst fools on fancy road bikes are unclipping and reclipping- your trackstand skills and awesome leg power will leave feeling inadequate as you accelerate past with your perfect spinning technique. Then you'll try skids and be realise you're even cooler, something you didn't think was possible.

That's what happened to me anyway.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    pastryboy wrote:
    Buy it.

First you'll run single speed and think actually this is fine, why did I bother with gears at all I have up to this point been wasting time and effort faffing about with gears - I have seen the light.

Then you'll think hmm I wonder what riding fixed is like, I don't want to wear tight jeans but a lot of people seem to rave about it and I do have a flip flop hub so what the heck I'll give a cheap sprocket and lockring and give it a bash.

Then you'll start riding fixed and be like, yeah this is much better I don't even need to use my brakes any more - my bike is totally silent and there's no pawls or other bullshit to go wrong - my chain never skips and I don't need to waste my weekend on maintenance. Then you'll be like oh shoot my thighs are getting really big and I have awesome power now. Then you'll be like hey that trackstand stuff looks cool and you'll learn to trackstand at the lights whilst fools on fancy road bikes are unclipping and reclipping- your trackstand skills and awesome leg power will leave feeling inadequate as you accelerate past with your perfect spinning technique. Then you'll try skids and be realise you're even cooler, something you didn't think was possible.

Then you'll think, hey, who needs two wheels, and bars, and end up on a unicycle, then you'll get bored with riding over cars, so you'll take it offroad, and end up like this

1020832337026193861S600x600Q85.jpg
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • EKE_38BPM
    I hope that unicyclist either already has all the kids he wants coz I really don't like the look of that landing!

• jonny_trousers
    thel33ter wrote:
    pastryboy wrote:
    Buy it.

Then you'll start riding fixed and be like, yeah this is much better I don't even need to use my brakes any more - my bike is totally silent and there's no pawls or other bullshit to go wrong - my chain never skips and I don't need to waste my weekend on maintenance. Then you'll be like oh shoot my thighs are getting really big and I have awesome power now. Then you'll be like hey that trackstand stuff looks cool and you'll learn to trackstand at the lights whilst fools on fancy road bikes are unclipping and reclipping- your trackstand skills and awesome leg power will leave feeling inadequate as you accelerate past with your perfect spinning technique. Then you'll try skids and be realise you're even cooler, something you didn't think was possible.

Then you'll think, hey, who needs two wheels, and bars, and end up on a unicycle, then you'll get bored with riding over cars, so you'll take it offroad, and end up like this

1020832337026193861S600x600Q85.jpg

And then you'll realise that going off quite such a large drop on a unicycle wasn't the best idea and that you will now have to hire a brain surgeon to remove your testicles.
  • alright guys, just to say I took the plunge and bought it - the Day one flat bar 2009 model (black)....just back from a bike shop in Glasgow where I had a shot on the 2010 flat bar version (gunmetal) - must amit think it will take a bit of getting used to after always being used to gears but I'll give it a go

in the worst event I can always sell it- probally would get my money back on it I reckon but hopefully wont come to that

anyway cheers again guys for the advice

regards
    Ladeside09
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Does feel very weird at first.
    Then slightly weird.
    Then normal.
    Then better :D

Stick with it, and enjoy!
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I appreciate that it's a little late now but I'm with EKE here, I don't get the point of single speed. I commute on an FG because I like the "fixed" bit. If I am going to have a freewheel and a rear brake then as with my road bike why not have 30 gears to go with it? If you just want the challenge managing with one gear then don't use the shifters.

Or is it that SS looks like you are FG? (so long as you remember to keep pedalling)
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • EKE_38BPM
    ladeside09, enjoy your visit from the new bike fairy. Now, flip that back wheel around and go fixed!
    Butterd2 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I appreciate that it's a little late now but I'm with EKE here, I don't get the point of single speed. I commute on an FG because I like the "fixed" bit. If I am going to have a freewheel and a rear brake then as with my road bike why not have 30 gears to go with it? If you just want the challenge managing with one gear then don't use the shifters.

Or is it that SS looks like you are FG? (so long as you remember to keep pedalling)

Now I'm a veteran* fixie rider, riding SS seems a bit like having a temporary tattoo. You're almost there, but haven't got the bottle to go the whole hog and commit.

*Yeah, after all of one month!

• jonny_trousers
    Butterd2 wrote:
    I don't get the point of single speed. I commute on an FG because I like the "fixed" bit. If I am going to have a freewheel and a rear brake then as with my road bike why not have 30 gears to go with it? If you just want the challenge managing with one gear then don't use the shifters.

For the same reasons as people ride fixed - barring the riding-without-the-ability-to-pedal-backwards thrill. Single speeds are way cheaper (the OP has bought himself a very nice, new bike for 300 quid!), the simplicity and reduction of mechanical parts to potentially go wrong and the stronger chain and more direct drive between front and rear cogs (whatever that is worth), among other reasons. To suggest someone might ride a single speed bike on a freewheel cog simply to look as though they are riding fixed is as silly as suggesting riding fixed actually does make you look cool.

I rode fixed on my single speed for many months until I was knocked off and then when getting back into riding again a few months later, I flipped my flop simply to make myself feel more secure for a while. That was about almost three months ago now and I haven’t gone back. Although I do miss a certain, unique ‘fun’ element to riding fixed, all things considered, I much prefer using the freewheel for city cycling. My commuting times are no longer, I make sure I get just as good a workout, but I feel much happier having the additional tool in being able to readjust my pedal position in a split second or to glide along when I want to. All of the above said, however, I actually do agree with you. Why deny yourself the option of gears when they are pretty easy to maintain these days? For me it comes down to money, but I’m pretty certain my next commuter will be a geared bike. Maybe then I will turn the SS back into a fixie and re-find that ‘fun’ factor.

One thing that does always make me smile at this forum: we all think our option is the best option. Be it drop bars over flats, a road bike over a hybrid, gears over no gears. Just ride whatever does the job, keeps you safe and above all, puts a massive grin on your face.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Butterd2 wrote:
    I don't get the point of single speed. I commute on an FG because I like the "fixed" bit. If I am going to have a freewheel and a rear brake then as with my road bike why not have 30 gears to go with it? If you just want the challenge managing with one gear then don't use the shifters.

For the same reasons as people ride fixed - barring the riding-without-the-ability-to-pedal-backwards thrill. Single speeds are way cheaper (the OP has bought himself a very nice, new bike for 300 quid!), the simplicity and reduction of mechanical parts to potentially go wrong and the stronger chain and more direct drive between front and rear cogs (whatever that is worth), among other reasons. To suggest someone might ride a single speed bike on a freewheel cog simply to look as though they are riding fixed is as silly as suggesting riding fixed actually does make you look cool.

I rode fixed on my single speed for many months until I was knocked off and then when getting back into riding again a few months later, I flipped my flop simply to make myself feel more secure for a while. That was about almost three months ago now and I haven’t gone back. Although I do miss a certain, unique ‘fun’ element to riding fixed, all things considered, I much prefer using the freewheel for city cycling. My commuting times are no longer, I make sure I get just as good a workout, but I feel much happier having the additional tool in being able to readjust my pedal position in a split second or to glide along when I want to. All of the above said, however, I actually do agree with you. Why deny yourself the option of gears when they are pretty easy to maintain these days? For me it comes down to money, but I’m pretty certain my next commuter will be a geared bike. Maybe then I will turn the SS back into a fixie and re-find that ‘fun’ factor.

One thing that does always make me smile at this forum: we all think our option is the best option. Be it drop bars over flats, a road bike over a hybrid, gears over no gears. Just ride whatever does the job, keeps you safe and above all, puts a massive grin on your face.

My comments were meant slightly tongue in cheek (certainly the bit about looking like you are FG anyway).
    However as we seem to agree SS has most of the downsides of FG (and there are several) but none of the upsides of gears and therefore gives the worst of both worlds (bit like a Hybrid really).
    I don't really believe many people buy SS because it is cheaper (right now I think the marketing people are taking the p!ss with the prices of SS/FG bikes as they are in fashion). Or that the maintenance is reduced (I spend more time fettling the FG than the road bike), it is about the look.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I bought my Pompino for reduced maintenance after many years of riding a geared commuter bike. I've stuck with the freewheel just so that I can comfortably use it with trainers when popping into town.

Dammit, I've come over all utilitarian again. It's got mudguards too !
    Misguided Idealist
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I have a SS - I like free-wheeling down hills.

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jonny_trousers
    Butterd2 wrote:
    I don't really believe many people buy SS because it is cheaper (right now I think the marketing people are taking the p!ss with the prices of SS/FG bikes as they are in fashion). Or that the maintenance is reduced (I spend more time fettling the FG than the road bike), it is about the look.

Meh, quite possibly for a certain kind of person, but I think there will be plenty of people out there like me who bought a SS/fixie because it was cheap, light and nippy. I tried both sides of the flip-flop and decided freewheel worked best for where I cycle and the style of riding I enjoy. If that makes me less cool than you crazy-cat hipsters out there than I will just have to find a way to deal with it. :)
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    Butterd2 wrote:

On the contrary, I've wondered about getting a SS/FG becasue they are cheap and low maintenance but am concerned people will look at me and think I'm a fasion victim. :?