motopatter wrote:
    I feel I'm only arguing for the sake of it

No you're not!

:)

arrrrffff arrrrrrfff :lol:
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I've not got a great deal of time for the cyclist here, TBH.

It's not so much the fact that this guy was able to bluster his way out of a ticket which irritates me, it's the fact that he saw fit to plaster his 'triumph' all over the internet. The copper went to work in the morning to do the job we pay him to do. He got rolled over in an unequal battle of wits: I guess that happens to all of us sometimes. But was it really necessary to rub salt in the wounds?

What's his point? That some coppers need a bit more training? (surprise surprise). That cyclists should be immune from road traffic legislation? (not sure how humiliating an individual makes the case for that). That this particular copper is a bully who needs bringing down a peg or two? (I got more of the impression that if the cyclist had been civil instead of confrontational, the whole thing would have been resolved with a 'OK, if I see you doing it again, you can probably expect a ticket').

I hope next time he bumps into an experienced and confident copper who does know the law! I guess we'll not see that film, but I'd certainly like to think it'll happen one day!
  • Waddlie wrote:
    Those of you thinking Plod should be able to recite the legislation relating to their powers etc verbatim, have a read of the PACE Act and you might understand why they can't:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/60/contents

should know the relevant section title . section 5 for public (dis)order etc.

most if not all of the traffic officers i know , know the relevant sections of the Road traffic act for most motoring offences.

I have asked before what they do if they don't know the relevant bit , and the answer ids that they use the radio to find out.

the more I watch it the more i come to detest the bike riiders attitude to the copper. ( notice I didn't call him a cyclist )
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • The cyclist guy goes by the name of spiritualentertainer. Apparently his real name is Danny Shine and he is pretty much a professional antagonist. Many of his arguments have been used in his other videos and are well rehearsed, the copper was unprepared.

Best not to give him the oxygen of publicity. Viewing his videos can only offer encouragement so, having watched a few to make this judgement, I for one wont be bothering to do so anymore.. Trust me they are neither humorous or entertaining.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    Aye, it's all rehearsed (on his part) bullshite.

He even states the same line of "is that a request or an order" when the copper politely asks to give the megaphone a rest as it's doing peoples heads in.

What a loon. He just needs a good hiding and then everything will be okay. :lol:
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    clearly the cyclist has a agenda and is a bit of twit.

this said we don't live in a police state and people will ask awkward questions. if it' to complex to know totally well thats the police's problem not awkward publics.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited April 2011
    Waddlie wrote:
    Those of you thinking Plod should be able to recite the legislation relating to their powers etc verbatim, have a read of the PACE Act and you might understand why they can't:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/60/contents

should know the relevant section title . section 5 for public (dis)order etc.

most if not all of the traffic officers i know , know the relevant sections of the Road traffic act for most motoring offences.

I have asked before what they do if they don't know the relevant bit , and the answer ids that they use the radio to find out.

the more I watch it the more i come to detest the bike riiders attitude to the copper. ( notice I didn't call him a cyclist )

We cyclists do seem to lead a bit of a charmed life where things like RLJ's are concerned so I can understand the Cop not being 100% sure if the rules applied the same way to bikes as MV's, Also calling it in would in all likliehood put him in touch with a civilian radio operator probably isn't as legally aware or trained as he is so there wouldn't be an instant answer to precise legal enquiries.
    Whether he should have collared the twonk without making a quick call to get someone looking for the info to relay back to him or argued back is another matter but at the end of the day he's a human being under the uniform, not a robot and no doubt didn't expect to be confronted with Perry Masons d**khead brother.

god help the next RLJ he catches, they'll get the works.
  • Link not working (again).
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    Can't believe some many posters are against the cyclist in this vid

OK RLJ is wrong. Boo!Hiss!

However I'd rather not live in a society where authority goes unchallenged.

You want my name and address, you better know what law gives you the authority to ask for those details. Nor am I going to accept a penalty notice from a policeman who can't tell me what offence I've commited.

The answer is better trained police...not some muppet in fancy dress
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!