Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    it's painful to watch, but seems educational
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    That bloke is lucky he came across a fairly passive officer. If you spoke like that to a lot of them they would find a way to deliberately inconvenience you.

I think he sounds a bit of a prat.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Just been watching more vids from the same bloke. Seems like he's on a mini crusade against the Police, because he's studied the law.
  • Subaqua
    Subaqua Posts: 73
    He probably isn't the type of bloke it'd be great to share a cpl of beers with, however I think his point is that if police think you've done something wrong, it'd be nice if they can tell you what law you broke and what sanction they are entitled apply in the circumstances, be it a ticket, a fine or arrest. Bit unfair on the copper in question tho.... As it's clear the law means that he has to police a rule but different laws mean a miscreant can basically refuse to accept the ticket!
    Black Pearson Imnotanumber- FCN 4
    Blue Marin Team Issue MTB - FCN around 30
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    Sorry but that cyclist is a total c0ck.

He dosn't state if he actually jumped the red light or not (I'll assume he did as I'm sure he would have mentioned it several times if he hadn't)

So he broke the law, he got caught, and rather than own up and give his details he argues with the policeman over technicalities. What an idiot.
  • Clever Pun
    edited March 2011
    garryc wrote:
    Sorry but that cyclist is a total c0ck.

He dosn't state if he actually jumped the red light or not (I'll assume he did as I'm sure he would have mentioned it several times if he hadn't)

So he broke the law, he got caught, and rather than own up and give his details he argues with the policeman over technicalities. What an idiot.

Doesn't that highlight to the force that they need to tighten up on this technicalities? this is the kind of dross that gets cases chucked out of court and criminals walk free

Edit: For clarification, Dan is a giant douche
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    What a douche on a bicycle, and I am not talking about the police officer.
    I am sure he jumped the light, otherwise he would have shown the footage.
    The officer should have had him arrested.
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    I totaly agree with you, the Police should know the laws that they are enforcing.

However here we have a bobby out on the beat just doing a bit of 'community policing' and he pulls over a smart arse, he dosn't know all the exact laws to deal with an obstructive individual (which he really should do).

The cyclist, a 'student of the law' knows he jumped a red light and got caught. Arguing over technicalites dosn't change anything, he still broke the law (regardless of how minor an offence you think it is).

I wonder how it would have turned out if the cyclist had been pleasent, genuinely sorry, put on the charm and promised it wouldn't happen again. But that wouldn't have happend as he's a c0ck.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Cyclist is a proper kn*b .... but police should know what he's doing rather than make it up.
    exercise.png
  • Mr Sharky
    Mr Sharky Posts: 172
    Police should have radioed through to station and got exact wording spoken to him to pass on to the other cyclist... then done him for wasting Police time.

He ran a red light, he got caught and started being a knob.

Can't see how you expect the Police to know each individual law verbatim!
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Glad you think the cyclist too is a nob. I couldn't watch past the first minute or so - he was just too irritating and I could see how it would end up.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just watching this linked from a car drivers forum, the cyclist is a grade A pr@t and needs taking down a peg or two, shame the officer was a bit soft, an arrest would have been entirely justified and really put the jerk in his place.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yeah, initially I bailed after about a minute. I forced myself to watch it all after CP's comment above.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • WisePranker
    WisePranker Posts: 823
    The cyclist was a prick...Not a very clever one either, he couldn't even spell bicycle properly at the start of his video :lol:
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I got as far as "I'm a student of the law myself" and had to stop. What a smug to$$er.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have to feel sorry for the Policeman in that, he's only dong his job.

And that bloke, what a prick.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Whilst he puts across some valid points, he's just showing off to everyone how he got one over the law despite being caught committing an offence. Just read the video title and his comments, it amounts to nothing more than a self promoting exercise in trying to get himself on Rude Tube.
  • d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    I thought the PC did well not to strangle the annoying git after about 5 seconds :wink: What worries me is the PC is supposed to be a professional. I think lunging at the camera is somewhat worrying. Any policeman should be stand by his actions and being filmed should not worry him/her as their actions should be legal, proportional and rational.
    The alledged red light jumperdoes seem a first class twunt though.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    so - putting aside the guy was a dick. Was he actually right?

Do you have to give your name?
    Do you have to accept the fine?
    Do you have to produce any documentation?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Clever Pun
    garryc wrote:
    I totaly agree with you, the Police should know the laws that they are enforcing.

However here we have a bobby out on the beat just doing a bit of 'community policing' and he pulls over a smart ars*, he dosn't know all the exact laws to deal with an obstructive individual (which he really should do).

The cyclist, a 'student of the law' knows he jumped a red light and got caught. Arguing over technicalites dosn't change anything, he still broke the law (regardless of how minor an offence you think it is).

I wonder how it would have turned out if the cyclist had been pleasent, genuinely sorry, put on the charm and promised it wouldn't happen again. But that wouldn't have happend as he's a c0ck.

if the popo really wants to deal with it, he should call for back up...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • nich
    No he wasn't right. He obviously RLJ'd, and but was too stuck up his own backside to pay the fine, and instead tried to be cocky about it and blabber on about the law.

What makes a mockery of this guys intelligence, is that he clearly (or seems to!) know the law better than most people, but he's not clever enough to admit responsibility for jumping the red light.

In the end it appears he cycled off.

Oh well, I'm sure if he RLJ's and gets knocked down, he'll suddenly decide to give his name and address to the policeman, so he can go to court and try and sue the world.

:D
  • Clever Pun
    nich wrote:
    What makes a mockery of this guys intelligence, is that he clearly (or seems to!) know the law better than most people, but he's not clever enough to admit responsibility for jumping the red light.

there's zero proof he did... even knuckle dragging crims know not to admit to anything wot they did
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • nich
    Clever Pun wrote:
    nich wrote:

there's zero proof he did... even knuckle dragging crims know not to admit to anything wot they did

True, I'm just assuming he RLJ and got caught. If he didn't, life would be much less stressful if he said, no copper, your're wrong, and I have the video evidence to prove it :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Clever Pun wrote:
    nich wrote:

Watching it again it seems the Police chap only went to give him a ticket because he was being a prick.

I bet if he'd not been a facetious little prat, admitted what he'd done and apologised ("sorry guv, won't do it again") he'd not have been issued a ticket and would have been on his way in no time.
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Cyclist is a pedantic twat. I am sure that if he hadn't run the red light he would have shown that. Shame he didn't get nicked.

edit - i didn't actually use the word fool, despite being a huge a-team fan!
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968

The guy could well be onto something, although a "real" policeman would simply have locked him up for some other generic, catch-all offence.

AFAIK a cyclist involved in a RTA is not obliged to provide details or even report it to the police - only motorists are. Not the same as jumping a red light, not sure what legalities apply there.

There are very few offences on the books that apply to cyclists - as written, most apply only to motor vehicles.
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    Video now seems to be 'private'?
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    snailracer wrote:

The guy could well be onto something, although a "real" policeman would simply have locked him up for some other generic, catch-all offence.

AFAIK a cyclist involved in a RTA is not obliged to provide details or even report it to the police - only motorists are. Not the same as jumping a red light, not sure what legalities apply there.

There are very few offences on the books that apply to cyclists - as written, most apply only to motor vehicles.

Actually, on further digging, you DO have to provide particulars:

"6) Refusing, or giving false name and address.

Source: Road Traffic Act 1988 Section 168

Offence: It is an offence for a person who is:
    ii) the rider of a cycle who is alleged to have committed an offence under s.28 or s.29.

to refuse, on being required by any person having reasonable grounds for so requiring, to give his name and address, or give a false name or address.
    "
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    hmbadger wrote:

Yeah. "This video is private. Sorry about that."
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Agent57 wrote:
    hmbadger wrote:

Yeah. "This video is private. Sorry about that."

So I don't get to watch it?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!