Castelli Body Paint Bibshorts - any one own any?

Philip Whiteman
Philip Whiteman Posts: 470
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
Does anyone own and wear Castelli Body Paint bib-shorts? They are quite expensive but I am considering a top of the range short for endurance riding and comfort.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2009/07/30/cas ... ib-shorts/

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If they are better than the castelli ones I have then they, well, it's impossible! My castelli shorts (can't remember which model) are my faves, but they are the ones for summer use. My word they are brill! So I reckon if the body paints are better then they will be the bestest shorts in the world.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Ribble seem cheapest at the moment, I've just ordered the free race aero version on recommendation.
  • paggnr
    paggnr Posts: 101
    I normally have the Castelli Aero bibs which are my favorite bibs ever with a great chamios.

I was lucky to get a full Garmin-Cervelo team kit through my companies sponsership of the team and I can tell you that the step up to the Bodypaint bibs is something else. I didn't think I could get a more comfortable fit than my aeros until I wore these.

Expensive YES - Worth it - ABSOLUTLY (IMHO)
    Cheers
    Pagey
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    I can't see how any bibs are better than these. Definitely worth the money, absolute quality. Had mine about a year, still like new and comfortable after 8 hours in the saddle. I will be buying the new 2011 design.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    i've got some, they are the most comfy shorts i've ever had

the same progetto x2 pad is used in a few other castelli shorts, the free aero for instance
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Them's the ones I have, free aero, freaking brilliant! :D
    Didn't think I'd be able to get anything more comfortable than assos but, well, they are. As I said, if the body paint are even better then they must be the bestest shorts in the world EVER!
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Nap their the bestest shorts in the world. :lol:

They shite all over assos.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    I've got 2 x Bodypaints and 1 x Free Aero.

Both are awesome! I actually prefer the styling of the Free Aeros, but the mesh bibs on the Bodypaints is epic.

Since buying my first pair of Castellis, I won't even consider any others...
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • rogerthecat
    rogerthecat Posts: 669
    What is the Sizing like on the Castellis? Better to judge on weight, height or waist.

Thanks

RTC
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    What is the Sizing like on the Castellis? Better to judge on weight, height or waist.

Thanks

RTC

Always go a size up.

I'm a medium in other clothing but always buy castelli in large.

Wiggle and PBK have sizing charts.
  • Dodger747
    I'm only 54kg and quite tall, so it's always small for me... 8)
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    FYI Ribble have got an extra 5% off castelli shorts atm (code. CAST5) Just ordered a pair of Free Aero's, hope there are as good as everybody says. Our club jersey is a Castelli one which has been excellent so hopefully more of the same.
  • rogerthecat
    Happy to go a size up, but from what?

I am 6 ft 2 inch therefore going a size up I need a 3XL, but I have a 32 inch waist so therefore a L oh and I weigh 89kg
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552

I am 6 ft 2 inch therefore going a size up I need a 3XL, but I have a 32 inch waist so therefore a L oh and I weigh 89kg

choose based on waist/hips

imho you'd be ok with L, but if XL was a bit big, they are so thin/stretchy that i don't think sizing is as critical as it is with some others

i'd try L but first check with the retailer to see if they are ok for instant return/swap if they turn out too small (or large)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Happy to go a size up, but from what?

If it helps I am 85kg, same height as you but with a 34inch waist and wear XL in my Castelli, Assos and Santini shorts vs Large in DHB.
  • rogerthecat

If it helps I am 85kg, same height as you but with a 34inch waist and wear XL in my Castelli, Assos and Santini shorts vs Large in DHB.

Outstanding Thanks
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    Err picture's a bit NSFW!
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • rogerthecat
    Just like to say thanks to all that gave input and helped me get the correct size Shorts, they arrived today from Ribble, and are the dog's thanks

RTC
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Just like to say thanks to all that gave input and helped me get the correct size Shorts, they arrived today from Ribble, and are the dog's thanks

RTC

Snap!! Mine dropped through the letter box as well today from Ribble. I got the Free Aero ones as I couldn't stretch to the Body Paint ones. Not upset though, the fit is amazing, snug all over but not tight anywhere. The quality looks top draw, just got to go and test them tomorrow and see how they fair.
  • Ordering a pair shortly. Will report back!
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Ordered. Am looking forward to trying them out!
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    About to order, quick question, LARGE in Assos, so XL in these?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • About to order, quick question, LARGE in Assos, so XL in these?
    Yes, size up small.
  • ShutUpLegs

At least :lol:
  • rogerthecat
    These shorts are the dog's I have two pair of Assos and two pair of Endura and these are by far a better fitting and more comfortable pair of shorts, I just hope they are as durable.

FYI

Assos XL
    Endura XL
    Castelli XL

Height 6, 2
    Weight 89 KG
    Waist 32 / 33 Inch
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

At least :lol:

Had a pair of Velocissimo in XL. They were just fine. Weight is 12 stone 10kg, would XXL be better?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ShutUpLegs
    XXL would probably be too big, but the XL's are a bit more snug than assos large
  • Dodger747
    Used my new pair [I own three now] and the feel of the new pad is awesome! My older pairs are the most comfortable shorts I own, but I had forgotten how they feel when new... 8)
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I've just ordered a pair from Ribble. Fingers crossed they arrive in time for the weekend! :D

I wear XL in Assos, and ordered XL in these on the basis of the Ribble sizing information. Hmmm...just ordered an XXL pair as well having read some of the sizing comments above. I'll send the other pair back if they don't fit.
  • rogerthecat
    Consider the name of the item and how it should fit! my XL Body paint are tighter than my Assos and I am the better for it, or should I say my seat is better for it., although the front is rather low, make it easy to pee! :lol: