Gent Wevelgem

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Farrar in peloton 1....
  • rick_chasey
    Chavanel's driving the break for a top 4 - QS need the points rather than risking all those points for a possible win....
  • rick_chasey
    Peloton's not getting any closer....
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    You know there is already a cycling news feed donthcha?! :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • peterst6906
    peterst6906 Posts: 530
    ddraver wrote:
    You know there is already a cycling news feed donthcha?! :wink:

Yeah, but where's the fun in that... :D
    Plus, it's CN... :(
  • rick_chasey
    Who will lead who out - Steegmans for Boonen? or the other way around?

Me thinks Steegmans for Boonen...
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Stannard all or nothing, no bad decision - both Sagan and Chavanel are faster
  • rick_chasey
    YEAAAH
  • peterst6906
    peterst6906 Posts: 530
    Finally some PTP love. Boonen!!!
  • ddraver
    AARRGGHH!!!!!

(Cav would have won that n'all!!)
    - @ddraver
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Great effort by Stannard- gutted he couldnt hold on. Thought he had half a chance with 1k to go.
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:
    AARRGGHH!!!!!

(Cav would have won that n'all!!)

pffft. Cav can't handle the Flemish ways.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    when was the last time boonen won a bunch sprint
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • ddraver
    was nt helped by my stupid computerturning itself off at 6km!!!
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    when was the last time boonen won a bunch sprint

I believe the last time Steegmans was with Quick-Step...
  • I wouldn't really call that a bunch sprint as such
  • rick_chasey
    Reminded me of the quick-step of 3 or 4 years ago.

Timed their effort at the front perfectly, covered the break - Boonen won with a long sprint having been led out by Steegmans.
  • ddraver
    Gotta love Dutch Television. G-W finishes, the there's a short news break about basketball and they throw straight to the Madison at the world cup!

One of these days I ll learn Dutch enough to understand the commentators!
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:
    Gotta love Dutch Television. G-W finishes, the there's a short news break about basketball and they throw straight to the Madison at the world cup!

One of these days I ll learn Dutch enough to understand the commentators!

Even the Dutch watch the Flemish coverage....
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Good sprinting by Boonen, he led from the front.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,818
    Oh and once again, a photographer causes a crash just after the finish line.
    Stupid idiot filming in the middle of the road, brings down Duque and Offredo.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    The photographer was in the demarcated zone but I don't think the riders have that in their heads too much after 200km
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,818
    The photographer was in the demarcated zone but I don't think the riders have that in their heads too much after 200km

Isn't the press area to the rider's left, as they finish?
    There were a only a couple on the right and the riders ended up on the floor, here:

pic186890771_600.jpg

Also known as the middle of the road.
    Shows that other riders were on a similar line, too.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    The photographer was behind the white line , looked to me like a bad bit of funneling from the organisers.

Anyway...Stannard, what a gutsy ride! Boonen responds to the doubters, but nowhere near as impressive looking at Cancellara.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Yeah. I think we're going to see a long train of elite riders glued to Fab's wheel next week and the one after, and one of the lesser Leopards (or Flecha) shoot off to win it. Which will be kind of ironic given what's happened to Tom in the past.

Strava is not Zen.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    calvjones wrote:
    Yeah. I think we're going to see a long train of elite riders glued to Fab's wheel next week and the one after, and one of the lesser Leopards (or Flecha) shoot off to win it. Which will be kind of ironic given what's happened to Tom in the past.

If anyone is going to benefit from them all marking Cancellara then i'd love it to be Flecha...have always been a fan of his and would love him to get a big one on his palmares before he retires.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    Anyway...Stannard, what a gutsy ride! Boonen responds to the doubters, but nowhere near as impressive looking at Cancellara.

Indeed.

I think, in fairness to Boonen - the way the race panned out and the nature of the course meant that it was never going to be useful or productive trying to smash the opposition.

Having said that, Boonen didn't look particularly amazing on the Kemmel.

It was however a good quick-step team performance.

The bet for putting Boonen in Gent for the world tour points seems to have paid off...
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Funny, yesterday morning in the coffee shop reading an interview with Boonen saying what a sh*t race G-W is now, and how he'd be riding E3. Clearly from his reaction on winning I could see just how sh*t G-W is :roll:
  • rick_chasey
    dougzz wrote:
    Funny, yesterday morning in the coffee shop reading an interview with Boonen saying what a sh*t race G-W is now, and how he'd be riding E3. Clearly from his reaction on winning I could see just how sh*t G-W is :roll:

He made it clear in the interview post race he prefers E3 for his flanders warmup - he doesn't find G-W gives him the information he needs about his form - but ultimately he needs to consider the team's objectives, not his own personal ones.

E3 is a better warm up since it's just a smaller verison. Gent is in a different part of the country.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    His main objection seemed to be a move from the big wide roads with cross wind, to the small roads with no room for team cars and support.