GP Harelbeke *live*

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Boring cobbled Classics season in prospect then.

Strava is not Zen.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Get a grip you bunch of bedwetters. :wink:

It's not a given he'll win one, never mind both.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    I don't think Boonen would have changed the race much - other then perhaps lighting it up on the Taaienberg.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:
    Get a grip you bunch of bedwetters. :wink:

It's not a given he'll win one, never mind both.

Better a bedwetter than Leopard Trek fanboi :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Just saw the final 5km... I like the way he sat up and straightened his jersey at the finish so he could point out his sponsors.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Bloddy Haussler should have saved his energy for second...does he not care about my PTP!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    afx237vi wrote:
    Just saw the final 5km... I like the way he sat up and straightened his jersey at the finish so he could point out his sponsors.

well played! :lol:

Great win, but I hope this is not a prediction of what's coming...
  • Are there any video highlights knocking around?
  • afx237vi wrote:

Yes,I thought that was quite funny,he was at a bit of a loss really !
  • anyone dare to bet against him for flanders and roubaix?

I thought he was supposed to be winning Liege this year?

:D
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Tankink had a hell of a quick recovery from cramp after cancellara came past. Pained grabbing of the leg and an expression of being shot by a 12 bore in the Hamstring but a second passes and he's out of the saddle sprinting again. My cramps were usually a sign to grab my drink and hobble home after a night of torture usually being brutalised by Greg Sandy who rode off the front of the 40 man group Cancellara style.
    I think the faked cramp may have been for the Manager saying "please don't ask me to chase; my poor legs!" :wink:

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    edited March 2011
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Tankink had a hell of a quick recovery from cramp after cancellara came past. Pained grabbing of the leg and an expression of being shot by a 12 bore in the Hamstring but a second passes and he's out of the saddle sprinting again. My cramps were usually a sign to grab my drink and hobble home after a night of torture usually being brutalised by Greg Sandy who rode off the front of the 40 man group Cancellara style.
    I think the faked cramp may have been for the Manager saying "please don't ask me to chase; my poor legs!" :wink:

-Jerry
    Ha ha - just watched that bit. Funny.

Got to feel for the others though. All their reference points about how much power they need to kick out go out of the window when Cancellara comes monstering past, Gawd knows what goes through their minds, it must feel like something is wrong with them.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    le patron wrote:
    Go to feel for the others though. All their reference points about how much power they need to kick out go out of the window when Cancellara comes monstering past, Gawd knows what goes through their minds, it must feel like something is wrong with them.

Or wondering how high his haematocrit is? That was scary dominating - a little too dominating perhaps? Still, I'm sure it's had the desired effect and scared the crap out of all but the top contenders for flanders and p-r.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • calvjones
    “It's unbelievable. It's not normal... I mean, it's impossible to beat him,” Vanmarcke said.

Strava is not Zen.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    OK, it was impressive and he is strong favourite for flanders/roubaix but the quality in the field yesterday was pretty thin.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    anyone dare to bet against him for flanders and roubaix?

I thought he was supposed to be winning Liege this year?

:D

i think he wanted to give it a try but with leopard being in its first year they wanted a better chance of winning a big race so they 'don't 'do a sky'
  • rick_chasey
    Pffft - watched it again.

Cancellara comes from a hell of a long way back, and he barely has an respite before he launches himself for the solo win.

Reminds me a bit of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6DmNMGEuI0

Just smashing everyone and using the groups just as respite.

I can't look past him for the double again.

He has the speed where he can put strong guys like Gilbert and Boonen under pressure when on the flats so come the hellingen there is no response.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    The young rider (Vanmarcke) was attached to countless moves that went in the finale, but when the move that defined the day went, like everyone else, he was powerless, left only to think of superlatives at the end of the day.

"How would I describe his performance in one word? Ridiculous."

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/7913/Garmin-Cervelos-Sep-Vanmarcke-on-Fabian-Cancellara-Ridiculous.aspx

Is this a rider voicing his suspicions, or a young rider truly in awe of Canc's power?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • rick_chasey
    It's hard to know what he really meant unless you hear it in his mother tongue - cycling websites don't necessarily translate that accurately...

I'm sure Cancellara is calm - err I mean tranquilo.
  • Bernardus
    Bernardus Posts: 136
    It's hard to know what he really meant unless you hear it in his mother tongue - cycling websites don't necessarily translate that accurately...

I think it is poorly translated, he said zot a word used in Flanders which means crazy/insane/foolish. Ridiculous is a much "stronger" (more judgmental) word.
  • calvjones

Cancellara comes from a hell of a long way back, and he barely has an respite before he launches himself for the solo win.

He has the speed where he can put strong guys like Gilbert and Boonen under pressure when on the flats so come the hellingen there is no response.

Yeah, he'll take Flanders but he could easily get done in Roubaix if everyone is watchful enough.

Another for Stuey maybe?

Strava is not Zen.
  • rick_chasey
    calvjones wrote:

Yeah, he'll take Flanders but he could easily get done in Roubaix if everyone is watchful enough.

Another for Stuey maybe?

I think O'Grady is too old - the way that roubaix panned out was very unusual anyway.

I can't see how anyone can hold Fabian's wheel in Roubaix. Flanders is the more tactical of the two.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    Cancellara is the first rider since I have been watching who can ride like that. It is the closest I have seen to a rider being a certainty for a one day race, to have that many mechanical problems and then be able to jump across to the break before going straight through and winning by that sort of margin is awesome (genuine use of one of the most over-used words!).
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    calvjones wrote:

Flanders but he could easily get done in Roubaix if everyone is watchful enough.
    They will be and Tom will be very watchful this time. :wink:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Bernardus wrote:

I think it is poorly translated, he said zot a word used in Flanders which means crazy/insane/foolish. Ridiculous is a much "stronger" (more judgmental) word.

Thanks for clearing that up. I really hope he is clean, coz he's an amazing rider, but I think it was Boardman (?) who said "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true..."

Still, he'll be my PTP pick for Flanders for certain.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    If this domination was shown on a mountain there would be numerous pages and threads of you guys trying to assert doping. Because it is a flat road it doesnt matter or matters much less.

Before you ask, no I dont think he is a doper.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    If this domination was shown on a mountain there would be numerous pages and threads of you guys trying to assert doping. Because it is a flat road it doesnt matter or matters much less.

A lot of people don't believe his performances. Anyone whos ridden for Ferriti and Riis and been "coached" by cecchini spells trouble.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • calvjones
    iainf72 wrote:

A lot of people don't believe his performances. Anyone whos ridden for Ferriti and Riis and been "coached" by cecchini spells trouble.

+1.

Strava is not Zen.