Driver on A8 injured by cyclist's punch

2»

Comments

• bdave262000
    bdave262000 Posts: 270
    I got smashed over the head by a charming lady for asking her if she was in the que for a taxi, it even took some convincing to the other people in the que that I'd done nothing wrong by which time she had run off.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I got smashed over the head by a charming lady for asking her if she was in the que for a taxi, it even took some convincing to the other people in the que that I'd done nothing wrong by which time she had run off.

Must have been a bloke in drag :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,752
    dilemna wrote:
    thelawnet wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Er when did it become acceptable for a man to hit a woman?

Tbh, I find your statement to be quite sexist. Assault is fine as long as it's being done to a man?

Yeh so wot? I never said I wasn't sexist I just think any man that hits a woman is a total c**t who needs d-locking.

I'm usually pretty passive this however is one of my tender spots.

depends really. Some women can be pretty vicious, especially when they're lagered up. You can't assume every woman is a 5' tall, 6 stone tender flower.

Indeed some are more violent than men. I don't care whether male or female, if some one was aggressive and came at me I would defend myself.

We only have this BBC report based on allegations made by this woman to plod.
    Officers said the woman thought she had collided with him and pulled over. When she got out of her car the man hit her in the face before cycling off.

How can you think you collided with some one. EIther you did or you didn't. This sounds really fishy. So the woman hit the cyclist with her car ............. and when she stopped to investigate something obviously kicked off and she may have been been hit by the cyclist with his fist. Seems fair to me - quid pro quo. I don't think this woman was an innocent party. If the cyclist does come forward which is probably unlikely I hope he can shed some light as to why he was knocked down by this moton.

As for the police stating
    "This has been a vicious attack on a woman who has been left with a perforated ear drum as a result."

I don't think the woman will be as blame free as perhaps she currently maintains.

Not like you to jump to conclusions and blame the driver (especially if they are driving an Audi)! Could be the cyclist was a psycho, surely if he hadn't been at fault he would have hung around to speak to the police?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,821
    Hitting women is a big taboo because of it's connotations of domestic abuse - or at least - abuse that is very one way.

Any situation where violence occurs is bad enough, but one-way violence, on people who do not have the strength to defend or resist is, understandably, thought as worse.

It's not meant in a sexist way, and I'm sure if a male got into a fight with, say, a female bouncer, people wouldn't be so quick to say "can't hit women".

Why even entertain assaulting anyone on the road (or indeed elsewhere) anyway?

It's one of the biggest gripes people on bikes tend to have - verbal and physical abuse from other road users.

I think we can all agree punching a driver adds no value to any plausible situation on the road, even after an accident.
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    Hitting women is a big taboo because of it's connotations of domestic abuse - or at least - abuse that is very one way.

Any situation where violence occurs is bad enough, but one-way violence, on people who do not have the strength to defend or resist is, understandably, thought as worse.

It's not meant in a sexist way, and I'm sure if a male got into a fight with, say, a female bouncer, people wouldn't be so quick to say "can't hit women".

I would normally agree but since I moved to London I have seen a thing or two where this rule isn't so black and white.

One night on one of those boats moored on the Thames down at Embankment I had a 120kg West Indian woman punching into me because I took the bottle of beer back off her that she deliberately stole from my "6 in a bucket" deal. Hand went in for the beer, I grabbed it, asked her to drop the beer back in the bucket which she did followed by pow, left hook to the side of my head. Being an Aussie, I had to set the beer down without any spillage before trying to defend myself. This did involve the type of wrestling that is only acceptable to blokes when the other party is female too and wearing a bikini while covered in Jelly. Luckily her friend backed my version of events or I would have got a kicking from the bouncers.

So..... in the original situation it was unacceptable to hit the lady motorist but as I wrote, not always is it so black & white.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    noodles71 wrote:
    I would normally agree but since I moved to London I have seen a thing or two where this rule isn't so black and white.

One night on one of those boats moored on the Thames down at Embankment I had a 120kg West Indian woman punching into me because I took the bottle of beer back off her that she deliberately stole from my "6 in a bucket" deal. Hand went in for the beer, I grabbed it, asked her to drop the beer back in the bucket which she did followed by pow, left hook to the side of my head. Being an Aussie, I had to set the beer down without any spillage before trying to defend myself. This did involve the type of wrestling that is only acceptable to blokes when the other party is female too and wearing a bikini while covered in Jelly. Luckily her friend backed my version of events or I would have got a kicking from the bouncers.

So..... in the original situation it was unacceptable to hit the lady motorist but as I wrote, not always is it so black & white.

pfff. any decent aussie would have had those 6 beers drained before any hands could grab 'em. :D

your right though...are we just supposed to take all those hits and still end up looking like the guy that started it, unless someone not in our party backs us?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,821
    noodles71 wrote:

My post never said it was black and white?
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    There is such a thing as etiquette. The man buying the round cannot consume the whole round before he gets back to the table from the bar. I might be confused for a Kiwi who doesn't know how to dig into the pockets if I were to polish them all off so quickly.

Besides, there is no need to hurry in the UK now it has been discovered that beer is served cold.
    cee wrote:
    pfff. any decent aussie would have had those 6 beers drained before any hands could grab 'em. :D

your right though...are we just supposed to take all those hits and still end up looking like the guy that started it, unless someone not in our party backs us?
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719

The thing is of course, domestic abuse on men is a big problem too, but it's not really recognised as one.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/ ... c-violence

"Data from Home Office statistical bulletins and the British Crime Survey show that men made up about 40% of domestic violence victims each year between 2004-05 and 2008-09, the last year for which figures are available. "

It notes:

"His then fiancee, Michelle Williamson, punched him in the face several times, stubbed out cigarettes on his body, lashed him with a vacuum cleaner tube, hit him with a metal bar and a hammer and even poured boiling water on to his lap. That at 6ft he was almost a foot taller than her made no difference."

"During more than a year of attacks and intimidation, he had lost his job, home and self-respect. He had been too scared to go to the police and had considered suicide. She was only arrested after two neighbours saw her punch him."

Perhaps a consequence of the 'you should never hit a woman' thinking.
  • itboffin wrote:
    Er when did it become acceptable for a man to hit a woman? I don't care what the reason might be.

I hope they catch the prat and throw the book at him.

Nice to see some are still living in the dark ages, if a woman hit me I would not hesitate to hit her back, watch any drunken nights by pubs, females swearing and fighting as well you know, and when have "we" again begun to bury our heads in the sand, hello, there are countless "bullied" husbands etc out there.

yeah I was a victim of domestic abuse, all 6ft 2in and 19 stone of me, and fairly violent too.

the scars on my head and body stand testament to that. and you knowwhat not once did i hit back . Because i was brought up properly. NEVER hit a female.

they say real men don't eat quiche this is wrong A real man never hits a female.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    itboffin wrote:
    Er when did it become acceptable for a man to hit a woman? I don't care what the reason might be.

Nice to see some are still living in the dark ages, if a woman hit me I would not hesitate to hit her back, watch any drunken nights by pubs, females swearing and fighting as well you know, and when have "we" again begun to bury our heads in the sand, hello, there are countless "bullied" husbands etc out there.

yeah I was a victim of domestic abuse, all 6ft 2in and 19 stone of me, and fairly violent too.

the scars on my head and body stand testament to that. and you knowwhat not once did i hit back . Because i was brought up properly. NEVER hit a female.

they say real men don't eat quiche this is wrong A real man never hits a female.

Chapeau sir :wink:

Erm I quite like quiche :oops:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,765
    itboffin wrote:

Although I wouldn't limit it to women. Not hitting back is not the same as doing nothing either.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    He is described as being white, between 30 to 35 years old, and of athletic build.

He was wearing dark or purple leggings with neon flashes on the side, a black and grey helmet, and he was riding what has been described as a hybrid-type bike.
    If it was you I'd lose the purple and neon leggings and spray paint your helmet and break out a different bike or fit drop bars until the heat's off. Let's face it that description could fit describing pretty much any male cyclist.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • bails87 wrote:
    Jeez, there's some ridiculousness going on here. Has the change to summer time messed up everyone's heads?! :roll:

If someone attacked you are you really saying you wouldn't do anything back?

Yes, assaulting anyone where the situation doesn't warrant it is wrong, male or female.

I'm sure I'm probably less able to defend myself than a lot of women, but gender has got sweet FA to do with it, or do I get the same moral protection because if women are too weak to be attacked, then so am i?

If a woman attacked me and I needed to, I'd hit her (as it happens I've never thrown a punch in my life, so don't be so f*cking ridiculous as to call me a 'woman beater' too!). As an example, a few of my mates went to Exeter uni, apparently while they were there there was a woman mugging people in town while threatening them with needles/syringes. If she went to stab you with that, would you let her? Or would you defend yourself, and risk the 'woman beater' title?

As for the case in question, only 2 people know what the real story is, so I'm not going to get involved in speculating there.

Finally a sensible comment.
  • He is described as being white, between 30 to 35 years old, and of athletic build.

He was wearing dark or purple leggings with neon flashes on the side, a black and grey helmet, and he was riding what has been described as a hybrid-type bike.
    If it was you I'd lose the purple and neon leggings and spray paint your helmet and break out a different bike or fit drop bars until the heat's off. Let's face it that description could fit describing pretty much any male cyclist.
    I think I'm safe on that one :wink: