edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Sad to heat

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e ... e-12867156

- wonder what the whole story is tho'

Acha

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    No excuse for that regardless of whole story.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    No excuses but its good to see the BBC refer to the idiot as 'a man on a bike'.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    "and he was riding what has been described as a hybrid-type bike."

Figures...

;)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    iPete wrote:
    No excuses but its good to see the BBC refer to the idiot as 'a man on a bike'.

Yeah, but after a headline and opening line using "cyclist". In fact, cyclist is used 5 times.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Er when did it become acceptable for a man to hit a woman? I don't care what the reason might be.

I hope they catch the prat and throw the book at him.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,124
    itboffin wrote:
    Er when did it become acceptable for a man to hit a woman? I don't care what the reason might be.

+1 no excuses
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    itboffin wrote:
    Er when did it become acceptable for a man to hit a woman?

Tbh, I find your statement to be quite sexist. Assault is fine as long as it's being done to a man?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • itboffin
    jds_1981 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Tbh, I find your statement to be quite sexist. Assault is fine as long as it's being done to a man?

Yeh so wot? I never said I wasn't sexist I just think any man that hits a woman is a total c**t who needs d-locking.

I'm usually pretty passive this however is one of my tender spots.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    jds_1981 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Not sexist at all. We can't give birth, they cannot be punched. That's how it works.

I have punched many a man.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    itboffin wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Yeh so wot? I never said I wasn't sexist I just think any man that hits a woman is a total c**t who needs d-locking.

depends really. Some women can be pretty vicious, especially when they're lagered up. You can't assume every woman is a 5' tall, 6 stone tender flower.
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    notsoblue wrote:
    "and he was riding what has been described as a hybrid-type bike."

Figures...

;)
    The Lycra lout in question would probably call it a "flat-barred road bike" ;)
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    edited March 2011
    thelawnet wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

depends really. Some women can be pretty vicious, especially when they're lagered up. You can't assume every woman is a 5' tall, 6 stone tender flower.

Indeed some are more violent than men. I don't care whether male or female, if some one was aggressive and came at me I would defend myself.

We only have this BBC report based on allegations made by this woman to plod.
    Officers said the woman thought she had collided with him and pulled over. When she got out of her car the man hit her in the face before cycling off.

How can you think you collided with some one. EIther you did or you didn't. This sounds really fishy. So the woman hit the cyclist with her car ............. and when she stopped to investigate something obviously kicked off and she may have been been hit by the cyclist with his fist. Seems fair to me - quid pro quo. I don't think this woman was an innocent party. If the cyclist does come forward which is probably unlikely I hope he can shed some light as to why he was knocked down by this moton.

As for the police stating
    "This has been a vicious attack on a woman who has been left with a perforated ear drum as a result."

I don't think the woman will be as blame free as perhaps she currently maintains.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    itboffin wrote:

I think you'll find the general principle is not to hit ladies.

In these liberated times not all women like to be ladies, and indeed many want to be one of lads and act like one of the lads (and usually the loutish lads at that). They want to be treated like a man, they get treated like a man.

Simples.
    "Coming through..."
  • What s frustrating is that the police are following this up and reviewing cctv footage, speaking to the media etc (as they should) and yet the guy who got mown down by a van driver when he pulled up in front of the van at a crossing to ask him why he kept trying to run him off the road, got virtually no interest from the police whatsoever (there was another thread on here about that). Is it just because he wasn't actually injured and it was 'just' his bike that was demolished?

EDIT: That thread is here
    Offroad: Canyon Nerve XC8 (2012)
    Touring / Commuting: On-One Inbred (2011)(FCN9)

http://uninspiredramblings.wordpress.com
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited March 2011
    Making a couple of assumptions that to wind him up that much, she's hit him in some way and he's not got some medical thing rendering him prone to random violence.

that she stopped implies it was a genuine mistake on her part, however aggravating, frightening or painful it may have been to the bike rider, she's done the right thing where 99% would have kept on driving. highly unlikely she'd have stopped if she'd deliberatey rammed the guy.

he's responded to this with an act of deliberate violence, even if it was in the heat of the moment, he's made a choice of physical assault rather than verbal or hearing what she'd got to say and taking her for decent compensation through her insurance.

sexist or not (& not for me, you don't hit women) he's been an absolute arse I hope he gets caught and punished through the right channels for what he did.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    TuckerUK wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I think you'll find the general principle is not to hit ladies.

In these liberated times not all women like to be ladies, and indeed many want to be one of lads and act like one of the lads (and usually the loutish lads at that). They want to be treated like a man, they get treated like a man.

Simples.

Awesome, so all you need to do to justify punching a woman is adjust your definition of a "lady".

Good job!
  • shouldbeinbed
    What s frustrating is that the police are following this up and reviewing cctv footage, speaking to the media etc (as they should) and yet the guy who got mown down by a van driver when he pulled up in front of the van at a crossing to ask him why he kept trying to run him off the road, got virtually no interest from the police whatsoever (there was another thread on here about that). Is it just because he wasn't actually injured and it was 'just' his bike that was demolished?

EDIT: That thread is here

To be fair it one side of a story again & as its on a forum sharing/victimising a common interest we'll happily leap to a different conclusion. Impartially, it sounds similar to here, an initial incident veh v bike that PoB by his own admission has reacted badly to and in that case chased and had a go leading to the running over - maybe psycho driver, maybe genuine incompetent, maybe a simple driving mistake and terrified by this mad cyclist hunting him down and forcibly blocking his way inviting him out to for all driver knows get his head kicked in. PoB clearly irate as a) given chase, b) effed & jeffed at the Police operator & c) admits themself they've handled it badly there and then. Not read the full thread but initially he's done himself no favours at all & as far as I know Police don't attend damage only's where there is no road hold up. Been there after a fender bender, dialled 999 got told to call in to cop shop to register a report.

In this one it hasn't been property damaged, its been people and for the police that takes it to a different level. Particularly as its a perceived stronger male on perceived more vulnerable female. Its also different as the driver stopped right away.

Legally too attacks on the person generally weigh more than damage to property, so worth having a pop a parliament too for enacting the laws in the first place.
  • thelawnet
    Making a couple of assumptions that to wind him up that much, she's hit him in some way and he's not got some medical thing rendering him prone to random violence.

that she stopped implies it was a genuine mistake on her part, however aggravating, frightening or painful it may have been to the bike rider, she's done the right thing where 99% would have kept on driving. highly unlikely she'd have stopped if she'd deliberatey rammed the guy.

he's responded to this with an act of deliberate violence, even if it was in the heat of the moment, he's made a choice of physical assault rather than verbal or hearing what she'd got to say and taking her for decent compensation through her insurance.

sexist or not (& not for me, you don't hit women) he's been an absolute ars* I hope he gets caught and punished through the right channels for what he did.

Well the thing is there are quite a few posts on here where people have recounted how they have punched motorists. Nobody bats an eyelid generally.

We don't know what's happened here, perhaps she came close to killing him and as for what happened in the exchange of views prior to him hitting her, again who knows.
  • thelawnet
    Nice headline here:

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topst ... 6740838.jp

"Cyclist assaults female driver who stopped to help"

Or in other words "Driver hits cyclist with car, then cyclist punches driver".

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it does it.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Well I'll be thinking twice about whether to get out the car if I ever think I've had an accident.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    thelawnet wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

It dosen't matter if it was male or female, assaulting someone is wrong.

I have been threatened while refereeing a football match. In a way I was pleased because it showed the player had no compunction about whether I was female or male.

I did however say I would knock him into next week if he tried (yes I realise this wasn;t a wise thing to say). I can hold my own in a fight if attacked, especially after 10 years training in Tae Kwon Do and Karate.

Oh and the player was sent off for threatening behaviour and the manager dismissed him from the team there and then as it had been the second time he had threatened a referee
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • shouldbeinbed
    thelawnet wrote:

sexist or not (& not for me, you don't hit women) he's been an absolute ars* I hope he gets caught and punished through the right channels for what he did.

Well the thing is there are quite a few posts on here where people have recounted how they have punched motorists. Nobody bats an eyelid generally.

We don't know what's happened here, perhaps she came close to killing him and as for what happened in the exchange of views prior to him hitting her, again who knows.

Nobody bats an eyelid generally??? The few I recall seeing have prompted quite polarised views and debate. I don't recall any at all where any man has admitted to repeatedly punching a woman in the face either. We've all been hit by cars or suffered abject stupidity but haven't reacted like a Jeremy Kyle level thug.

Also lets remember neither the bike nor biker were so badly damaged that they couldn't ride off after having smacked her about for a bit.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    itboffin wrote:

Nice to see some are still living in the dark ages, if a woman hit me I would not hesitate to hit her back, watch any drunken nights by pubs, females swearing and fighting as well you know, and when have "we" again begun to bury our heads in the sand, hello, there are countless "bullied" husbands etc out there.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Nice to see some are still living in the dark ages, if a woman hit me I would not hesitate to hit her back, watch any drunken nights by pubs, females swearing and fighting as well you know, and when have "we" again begun to bury our heads in the sand, hello, there are countless "bullied" husbands etc out there.

MTFU you TW*T
  • thelawnet
    NGale wrote:
    thelawnet wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

It dosen't matter if it was male or female, assaulting someone is wrong.

Eh that's a bit of a generalisation. Friend of mine rugby-tackled a bag snatcher, a public service I think.

Obviously punching someone because they've looked at you the wrong way is wrong, but there are certainly some circumstances under which you'd be justified in hitting someone. Whether they were present in this case we really can't say.

We are jumping to conclusions from the fact we're told there's a woman driver with a perforated eardrum - stereotyping, whereas if the story had named the driver as a man in a white van or a black cab driver, etc. there'd be very little sympathy for him. Pure stereotyping, maybe valid maybe not, but in this day and age it's wrong to insist that we judge people by stereotypes alone.
  • itboffin wrote:

Interesting how you are the first one to complain that standards of politeness have disintegrated, yet you come across in other posts as an Airzound-blasting, intolerant, women beater.

I'm with ITB: Hitting a woman is never acceptable. Lead as you would have others follow.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    itboffin wrote:

Interesting how you are the first one to complain that standards of politeness have disintegrated, yet you come across in other posts as an Airzound-blasting, intolerant, women beater.

I'm with ITB: Hitting a woman is never acceptable. Lead as you would have others follow.

Jeez, there's some ridiculousness going on here. Has the change to summer time messed up everyone's heads?! :roll:

If someone attacked you are you really saying you wouldn't do anything back?

Yes, assaulting anyone where the situation doesn't warrant it is wrong, male or female.

I'm sure I'm probably less able to defend myself than a lot of women, but gender has got sweet FA to do with it, or do I get the same moral protection because if women are too weak to be attacked, then so am i?

If a woman attacked me and I needed to, I'd hit her (as it happens I've never thrown a punch in my life, so don't be so f*cking ridiculous as to call me a 'woman beater' too!). As an example, a few of my mates went to Exeter uni, apparently while they were there there was a woman mugging people in town while threatening them with needles/syringes. If she went to stab you with that, would you let her? Or would you defend yourself, and risk the 'woman beater' title?

As for the case in question, only 2 people know what the real story is, so I'm not going to get involved in speculating there.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jw6
    jw6 Posts: 4
    thelawnet wrote:
    Nice headline here:

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topst ... 6740838.jp

"Cyclist assaults female driver who stopped to help"

Or in other words "Driver hits cyclist with car, then cyclist punches driver".

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it does it.

The edinburgh evening news is a ridiculous paper, its probably safe to say that this isnt the full story. That said, there's no excuse for that sort of behavior.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    bails87 wrote:
    Jeez, there's some ridiculousness going on here.
    What do you expect? Patience, tolerance and empathy are usually left at the door in this place :(
    bails87 wrote:
    assaulting anyone where the situation doesn't warrant it is wrong, male or female.
    Agree. Sounds pretty awful IMO if the story is true. I can't think of many situations where a punch to the face would be a good idea. He wouldn't have done it if it had been a big bloke that got out of the car. You should treat others as you wish to be treated.

We don't know the full story, but "Fearing she may have struck a cyclist"??? I'd swap that for "Knowing". Some uncharitable people might argue she didn't hit him hard enough in the first place.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Both articles are broadly similar, either way there was no excuse for hitting someone who it appears had stopped to do the right thing.

As for hitting women, there will be circumstances when I think it acceptable, nothing is black and white, but generally its pretty much beyond the pale (mixing metaphors).

I wonder if he was most miffed by being caught out riding a hybrid in his fancy MAMIL gear......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.