How to trian while commuting every day??

andysol
andysol Posts: 125
So i commute every day riding a undulating, a little hilly and with a constant head wind on the journey home. About 14-15 miles per day. I also enjoy a game of football midweek.

I tend to get sucked in to a bit of silly racing during the commute so my legs end up pretty tired by the journey home on friday. Especialy as its mostly up hill.

Im wanting some tips on how best to increase my fitness ready for the Northern Rock Cyclone 100miler. How do in corporate training distance and a daily commute?

Any tips
Andy
Evidently i mostly have a FCN of 1. I'm now a lady!

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Extend your commute home some days. Getting easier now with the lighter evenings. And if you're doing a lot of riding at the weekend then take it easy on some of your commutes.
    More problems but still living....
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Or have very easy commutes some days (use a HR monitor and pick a max and stick to it), and have a turbo interval session when you get home.

Or do intervals during your commute.
  • DON'T WATCH TV!!!!!!

Spend that time out on your bike a couple of times a week.

Fitness will improve
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • As above,

Do a combination of Intervals some days on commutes and taking the long 50 mile route home on others. And for recovery days just pootle the short commute.
    Orange Crush AM 15
    Airnimal Chameleon Ultra
    Planet X Team Alu
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    lotuseater wrote:
    As above,

Do a combination of Intervals some days on commutes and taking the long 50 mile route home on others. And for recovery days just pootle the short commute.

+1

Training is easy when you commute by bike. No problem to have a hard interval session. I have a few routes home with a series of shortish steepish hills (easy to find round these parts), nail it up the hills, take it easy between. I have other routes which I can throw some flat sprints in.

Leave work at 5, back home for 6.30 all done. I leave long rides for Sunday morn.