broken collar bone rehab

spagforth
spagforth Posts: 17
i had a big off on tuesday on a diesel spill resulting in broken collar bone and mild concussion, thank goodness for helmet! just when i wasreaching peak fitness for sportives april onwards. Dr says off work for 3 weeks and 6 to 12 weeks before regaining full fitness. i have never suffered this type of in jury before so its unchartered territory fo me. is there anyone else out there who has suffered the same? who can offer any advice on rehab timescales, return to fitness, any ongoing problems to watch out for? though 55yrs of age i am very fit turning in about 200 plus miles a week. apologies for grammar lack of capitals etc, operating single digit only!

cheers spagforth :(

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Like any broken bone, depends a lot on the nature of the break. Just keep doing whatever you can do with it and take it easy.
    I had a nasty one over 3 years ago, it will probably never be fully fixed but it's OK apart from the strange shape - the clavicle was pretty much shattered in the middle.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I broke mine last August, quite a bad break but I was back on the bike in 6 weeks.

I still have a lump and it sometimes feels weak if I'm lifting - no problem with cycling which is the main thing :wink:

Good luck for a speedy recovery.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Set up a turbo and ride it

When I broke my collar bone I used the turbo pretty much every day during the 12 weeks recovery time. When I finally was back on the road I was back to riding 200km within a couple of weeks. It took me a year to get back to good form but I could ride ( albetit more slowly ) pretty much straight away
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Ouch. Sorry to hear that, it's a painful injury.

Some good tips in this thread:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16449070
  • gazeds
    gazeds Posts: 182
    broke mine last august, and was back on the bike 4 week's later, but what surprised me was it took around 12 week's to get my fitness back to the level it was before the accident. Only been discharged from the out patient's clinic last month due to the time it took to heal back together
  • spagforth
    spagforth Posts: 17
    cheers guys, encouraging that you have coped with it and got back into it. thanks for advice.

cheers spagforth
  • If you're still in a sling make sure you get one that supports the elbow as well as the wrist. This stops the weight of your arm pulling down on the break and causing discomfort. I think the one I ended up with was called a polysling.