Do pure race tyres really help us amateurs

2»

Comments

• donkykong
    donkykong Posts: 160
    just pedal harder and faster and you dont need spend loads of dosh on fancy tyres that puncture and wear out quickly
  • mentalalex
    mentalalex Posts: 266
    http://www.kendausa.com/en/home/bicycle/road/kaliente.aspx

Best tyres i have used, much better grip than pro race threes, i used those last season,
    no on theses for this season

http://www.kendausa.com/en/home/bicycle/road/volare.aspx

then these for my tub wheels. which are very nice
    I do science, sometimes.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    If I'm coming down a hill at 40+ miles an hour, I want the best grip and handling that I can afford. That tends to come from better quality tyres. Arguably it's more important for your safety than wearing a helmet, i.e. active rather than passive safety.
  • Nickwill wrote:
    If I'm coming down a hill at 40+ miles an hour, I want the best grip and handling that I can afford. That tends to come from better quality tyres. Arguably it's more important for your safety than wearing a helmet, i.e. active rather than passive safety.

+1 - My Michelin Krylions were given a severe test (emergency stop to avoid a motorist at a roundabout, my fault, I assumed he knew how to operate his indicators), and performed better than I imagined possible.

These are the first premium brand tyre I have owned, but the grip and control under pressure make them worth every penny.
  • Google roues artisanales for a bit of data.

Thick tester continues to justify his moniker. Good clinchers with latex tubes have less rolling resistance than (very close) to all tubs.

That said I race on tubs because they feel great and if I do get a puncture I can ride round to the hut to swap for a service wheel.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    donkykong wrote:
    just pedal harder and faster and you dont need spend loads of dosh on fancy tyres that puncture and wear out quickly
    Is there any good reason why you're trolling this thread?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    donkykong wrote:

Whilst your rivals with better tyres do the same, and leave you behind. :roll:
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I've just ordered a pair of Vredestein Fortezza Superlites to replace the bog standard Continental Ultrasports that came with the bike. Will report back after first race.

Won't be very scientific though, as I've done a fair bit of training since the last race and the conditions/track will be different.
  • I've been using Vredestein Fortezza TriComps - are these considered any good? (Looking on wiggle, they appear to be slightly more expensive than the others mentioned here: Krylions, GP4000, Pro3).

Also, is it worth me upgrading my tyres when the time comes to replace them, given that the rest of my bike isn't exactly top of the range anyway? (e.g. my wheels are Mavic Aksiums and I don't have a separate set of racing wheels, my components are mostly Shimano 105).
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724

Also, is it worth me upgrading my tyres when the time comes to replace them, given that the rest of my bike isn't exactly top of the range anyway? (e.g. my wheels are Mavic Aksiums and I don't have a separate set of racing wheels, my components are mostly Shimano 105).

Yes, tyres are the best way to make your bike better regardless of it's equipment. Spend as much as you can afford on tyres, you can always swap them around for races/training etc if you want to save the best ones for races day.