Alchohol and cycling

2»

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    It definitely isnt true NSB - I've woken up with a broken collarbone, broken wrist and broken rib after what appeared the night before to be a fairly inocuous off.

So, you went to bed fine, and woke up with 3 broken bones?
    Sleep, it's dangerous, kids.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    davis wrote:
    It definitely isnt true NSB - I've woken up with a broken collarbone, broken wrist and broken rib after what appeared the night before to be a fairly inocuous off.

So, you went to bed fine, and woke up with 3 broken bones?
    Sleep, it's dangerous, kids.
    OMFG you would not believe how many people die in their sleep! Ban it now
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    or at least make people wear helmets if they're going to put themselves at risk by getting under the duvet.
    Hat + Beard
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Fell off and dislocated my shoulder after an all-afternoon sesh celebrating Hearts winning the cup in '98. Nice scar on the top of my shoulder from the fixation.

(Ain't big, ain't clever still have a few and cycle home, but not to excess. I can not abide standing about waiting for a bus when I could already be home tucked up)
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Never more than two pints of bitter.
    will be back on the fixed for the Pub run this evening.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    JZed - that boulder story sounds grim.

Grim it was - I think i said something like "F*** Ronaldo watch this" before running 20 yards and wellying it. Colleagues said that I rolled around on the floor like Ronaldo for a good while afterwards.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    How many times have people hurt themselves while walking back from the pub leathered?

lots, that's how many.

It's not a case of cycling home drunk will hurt you. It's a case of you've drunk more than your body can take it's life way of teaching you a lesson you'll remember in the morning.

Edit: I've hit my head both walking and cycling drunk, the cycling was me doing something dumb and the walking was stumbling and hitting my head on a bench. both times I've been on pt after with blood on my face. You get plenty of room that way
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Yeah, done it, and luckily got away with it. Just consider for a moment the logistical nightmare of attempting to get both a drunk rider and his bike on the correct side of a 'kissing gate' at the same time. I have also, as a pedestrian drunk and not a cyclist, been run over by a parked car....

My attitude now is that, whatever you are doing and no matter how little you have been drinking, you can expect to be blamed as a drunk if anything goes wrong!

BTW, I'm a new poster dipping my toes in here, so be gentle, I'm a virgin. Cheap (Apollo Code) hybrid and 'retro classic' Raleigh road bike.
  • A terrible thing to do. You'd never catch me drinking and cycling hopes nobody here knows me or noticed my avatar :roll: .

However in the interest of science I'm willing to give it a go. Am planning a trip down to the Big Smoke with the bike and some friends in the next couple of months. The less experienced/ more nervous cyclists will be comming from the South Coast, so I guess London Bridge or Victoria might be best starting points. Those of us attending from N/W/E are more able to do a few extra miles and contend with London traffic. Something like 20 miles, taking in a few sights and decent pubs would be nice. Can anyone suggest a pleasant route / pub crawl?

Sorry for straying slightly OT.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Always take the steel wheeled Raleigh twenty out when I hit the beers. Not only is the thing slow but it zaps strength due to its life spent out in the rain. Rust is your friend on a beer bike.

Must get the brakes working though….. :wink:
  • OK OK I'll come clean. Memorable incident happened many year's ago after final 'A' level exams. Stopped off at the pub on the way home then a few off us continued the journey on bikes. One guy runs into the back of an ambulance. Lights flashing so you wouldn't think he'd miss it. Doors open so he finishes half in and half out. Paramedics have to untangle him and his bike before this frail little old lady can be taken to hospital.

Not big and not clever :oops:
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    WBW - just head down the river stopping off at whatever pubs take your fancy and then get the train back to Waterloo from, say, Weybridge.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    A "friend of mine" rode home drunk the other night and remembers only 10 seconds of the journey. Somehow he had no injuries or any sign that he fell. He won't be doing that again!
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • squeeler
    squeeler Posts: 144
    I do it most weekends, not for a proper session but just popping out to the pub for four or five pints with a friend. It's quite quiet on the roads in my area so I don't perceive there to be too much risk, I walk occasionally but much prefer using my pub hack.
    Also £5 in a taxi each way would almost double the cost of the night.

edit: although I wear a helmet for commuting, mountain biking and "fitness" road riding oddly I never wear one to go to the pub!
  • WBW - just head down the river stopping off at whatever pubs take your fancy and then get the train back to Waterloo from, say, Weybridge.

Thanks clarkey cat. I have some other questions so may just start a new thread rather than highjack this one....
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    How many pints is too many?

ps Morpeth beer gives you special powers
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i cycled home drunk once. Never again. horrible experience.

I do occasionally stop by for a beer or two maximum with some friends before riding home.....

My issue is that....beers straight after work seem to knock me for 6. I'd rather go home first, then go out at about 11pm.

course.....i think there is a different culture in england what with the licensing hours being different (?in the past? no idea what the current licensing situation is down there.....but here....standard pubs have stayed open til 1pm for as long as i can remember, and some clubs never seem to close.)
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • iPete wrote:
    Still, it's sweet to see that the "drinking is well hard" philosophy of life is alive and well. Bless you......

erm, where?

Read a post....any post....
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    iPete wrote:
    Still, it's sweet to see that the "drinking is well hard" philosophy of life is alive and well. Bless you......

erm, where?

Read a post....any post....

They all came after I posted, face palm for me.

Anyway, drinking is well hard...
  • drummondjhn
    drummondjhn Posts: 175
    Alchohol and cycling? Two of my favourite things.

dito
    Life is not a spectator sport
  • I own, what I lovingly call, a pub bike 8)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Pub bike yes = win win

Talking yesterday to one of my neighbours who's just taken up cycling, he told me "the other night on the way home whilst a tad tipsy" he had an off - nothing dramatic just one of those soft drunken bouncy offs that you just can't do sober - I was a little surprised as he works in the next village along one of the most dangerous roads in the area - thankfully he'd ridden home along the fields not the road.

Anywho I digress, I'm not condoning others drunken cycling, what I did love is when he blamed his tyres for his off :lol::lol: ACE! best cycling quote ever!!!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    in my chequered biking history i have cycled miles after having a night on the sauce....i remember one time having a bet i could cycle down a dual carriageway with my eyes closed (i won the bet)

another true story i remember a mate falling off his bike straight into a sand bunker on our local golf course, then remerging covered in sand.....brilliant

but totally agree cycling drunk is nearly as bad as drink driving

dont do it, its not big an its deffo not clever
    Keeping it classy since '83