Alchohol and cycling

iclestu
iclestu Posts: 503
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Just wondered what the consensus of opinion on this subject is?

You Londoners often meet up for drinks at the Morpeth or whatever (and presumably cycle home afterwords?). Do you always exercise moderation when you know you have to cycle home? Ever been totally legless and still hopped on?

I once went on a night out in Leeds with a view to staying at my mates overnight. Given that we left the last bar/club so late it was daylight i didnt see the point in getting some shut eye at the time :roll: and promptly cycled 15 miles(!) back to my GF's house before going to bed. In hindsight it was perhaps reckless but I felt ok (I wasnt UBER drunk but definitely very 'merry' when i set off, sobered up a bit by the time i arrived!)

and what state do you need to be in before you can get charged with being drunk in charge of a bicycle??? anybody have any experience?
FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    My understanding is that it's a arrestable offence only if you are a danger to yourself or others.

http://www.bikeforall.net/content/cycli ... he_law.php

CYCLING WHILE DRUNK

Cycling is intoxicating, it gives a natural high but it's also a very sociable activity and those who partake in the weekend 'pub run' will attest that cycling is easier after the odd drink or two.

A social tipple, imbibed in moderation - the proverbial swift half - will not lead to a massive impairment in your ability to ride home but, despite alcohol's pain reducing effect, it impairs athletic performance so too much booze is bad for biking.

The Licensing Act 1872 makes it an offence to be drunk in charge of a bicycle (or any other vehicle or carriage, or cattle) on a highway or in a public place but this old law also forbids any public drunkenness - even in a pub - so is clearly never enforced.

In law a bicycle is defined as a carriage for use on the highway but cyclists are not in charge of 'mechanically propelled' vehicles so, in law, do not have to adhere to exactly the same 'drink drive' rules as motorists.

Section 30 Road Traffic Act 1988 says: "It is an offence for a person to ride a cycle on a road or other public place when unfit to ride through drink or drugs - that is to say - is under the influence of a drink or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the cycle.

In Scotland a PC may arrest without warrant a person committing an offence under this section. There is no obligation for a cyclist to submit to a blood or urine alcohol test.

'Road' in the above bit of legislation includes a bridleway so don't think you can get blotto at a country pub and ride home 'off road' without risk.

And here's the rub. If you ride drunk you risk endangering yourself and possibly others by your actions. Would you ride home blindfolded? Beer-googles and bicycles do not mix. And, as stated above, cycling 'dangerously' can be fined by up to £2500.

You cannot get endorsements on your UK driving licence for a 'drink cycling' offence. Some US States have such a law so be careful when searching on this topic via Google.

More from

From NCALT:

Section 30 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, as amended by the Road Traffic Act 1991, provides the offence of cycling on a road or public place whilst under the influence of drink or drugs. It states:
    30(1) A person who, when riding a cycle on a road or other public place, is unfit to ride through drink or drugs (that is to say, is under the influence of drink or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the cycle) is guilty of an offence.

NOTES

(i) The evidence of the extent to which a person is affected must be measured by means other than the provision of a specimen of breath, blood or urine, as there is no power to require such a specimen in these circumstances. However, if such a specimen was offered, it is probable that the evidence obtained by analysis of the specimen would be admissible.
    (ii) In Scotland a constable may arrest without warrant a person committing an offence.
    (iii) In England and Wales a constable may only arrest without warrant in accordance with the powers of arrest set out in section 24 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984. In such an instance, that power might be exercised where a satisfactory address has not been furnished, or the constable has reasonable grounds for believing that arrest is necessary to prevent such a person causing physical injury to himself or any other person (see also other conditions in s24 of PACE).
    (iv) The absence of a specific power of arrest in England and Wales affects the ability of the police to present any form of medical evidence of the accused's condition.
    (v) There is no offence of 'being in charge' of a cycle under the Road Traffic Acts, but such conduct may well be an offence of drunk in charge of a carriage under section 12 of the Licensing Act 1872. A bicycle or tricycle is a carriage for the purpose of that section.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    What's that over there? An elephant, you say.
    What's this thing I'm standing in? Ah, a room...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    I have a nice scar under my chin from the last time I cycled when p*ssed!

It was on a private road (campsite in France) but it is never a good idea. (I was pretty smashed at the time (literally!)
  • iclestu
    JonGinge wrote:
    What's that over there? An elephant, you say.
    What's this thing I'm standing in? Ah, a room...

ahhh but this is why we tackle such thorny issues with the relative* anonymity of an internet forum!

*This caveat is necessary after Hambones-gate!

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Cycling whilst piffed is a bad idea - I've found it reduces my speed by at least a couple of mph......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    My rotator cuff injury and later surgery might have been caused by such a combination of Morpeth + cycling, then again maybe it would have.

Beer is good 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Cycling whilst piffed is a bad idea - I've found it reduces my speed by at least a couple of mph......

It was the other way round for me - I found that the road moved too fast for me.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Beer you say*

*Heads of to find the Morpeth post to see whether any takers for a couple tomorrow night
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    I once found a bike outside a nightclub and cycled it home, I don't think there was an owner about though that one has always confused me, I didn't remember setting off on it, no idea where it got to either...
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • Mmmm...there's a pattern emerging here.

It's along the lines of "no one ever died by colliding with a bike so I'll do as I please"

Have none of you come across drivers that "have never had an accident" but have caused dozens???

Still, it's sweet to see that the "drinking is well hard" philosophy of life is alive and well. Bless you......
  • iclestu
    Marcus_C wrote:
    I once found a bike outside a nightclub and cycled it home, I don't think there was an owner about though that one has always confused me, I didn't remember setting off on it, no idea where it got to either...

uuurrrrmmm. isnt that just nicking a bike?

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Mmmm...there's a pattern emerging here.

It's along the lines of "no one ever died by colliding with a bike so I'll do as I please"

Have none of you come across drivers that "have never had an accident" but have caused dozens???

Still, it's sweet to see that the "drinking is well hard" philosophy of life is alive and well. Bless you......

Refer all questions to JGs elephant
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:

Refer all questions to JGs elephant

Surely you shouldn't refer to it......Isn't that the point? Don't worry about it anyway, we're only playing word games after all....
  • given that i find walking difficult after a "few" i can say i have never cycled whilst drunk. unless you count the time i got in and decided to do a few miles on the trainer. even then i fell off a few times.

not big not clever and it might mean i end up under the wheels of a larger vehicle
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I've done it. Didn't hurt anybody, didn't rob anybody, didn't lose .... 1 damn job. Laughed my ass off, and went about my day. Still remember the best trackstand I've ever done was up a 17% hill while fairly toasted...

I was drunk, but still fairly competent. I'd probably be a lot more careful now, but even then it was only on the zero traffic roads round here. I think it's probably a bit more dangerous than being drunk and walking, and even then only to yourself.

With apologies to Bill.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076

erm, where?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    I once cycled home along the towpath with just one pedal (long story) having had rather too much to drink. Foot slipped off the remaining pedal, bike swerved, I thought it best to avoid landing in the drink, cracked a rib, ouch.
    I'm an idiot, I will still have a few and ride.
    i can recommend a lovely pub wobble for anyone near Kingston or Richmond. Start at The Boaters Arms in Kingston along the river to Teddington lock and The Tide End Cottage then back over the river to Richmond and a choice of pubs, up the hill to the Roebuck and a spectacular view and back to Kingston through the park. Nearly entirely away from traffic with a few refreshment stops along the way. Roll on summer.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Alchohol and cycling? Two of my favourite things.
  • nmac_2011
    nmac_2011 Posts: 49

Well not really along those lines at all.
    People have died by colliding with bikes.
    I am quite sure that an arguement exists that cyclists have died/been badly injured by swerving to avoid drunk jaywalking pedestrians.

Surely the test should be as recognised in law " incapable to the extent of not being in proper control "

ighXm.jpg
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    When I cycle drunk, I'm always sure to wear a helmet.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    it's ok as double vision makes you twice as alert on the roads surely?
    Hat + Beard
  • notsoblue
    edited March 2011
    Also, alcohol acts as a muscle relaxant causing a rag doll affect when you fall off, this protecting you from wrist and collarbone injuries.*

*this isn't true.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    It definitely isnt true NSB - I've woken up with a broken collarbone, broken wrist and broken rib after what appeared the night before to be a fairly inocuous off.
  • notsoblue
    It definitely isnt true NSB - I've woken up with a broken collarbone, broken wrist and broken rib after what appeared the night before to be a fairly inocuous off.

Hmm, well that goes against all my extensive orthopaedic training... But you're probably right ;)
  • clarkey cat
    Well it was either the off or my rather cack-handed attempts at getting into a bunk bed when I got in so you may still be right
  • notsoblue
    Well it was either the off or my rather cack-handed attempts at getting into a bunk bed when I got in so you may still be right

I'm definitely not right, I lied about my orthopaedic training :oops:

Chapeau for sleeping through three breaks though!
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    notsoblue wrote:
    Chapeau for sleeping through three breaks though!

Alcohol is a wonderful for stemming pain - when I left my last job I attempted a flying kick on a colleague after having spent the afternoon in the pub. Didn't think at the time about how I was going to land - so 17st landing on the shoulder wasn't a good idea. Missed my own leaving party - was told it was excellent. Anyway I slept through the pain until the early morning, only to be told by A&E there was nothing they could do and just to take pain killers - spent 6 weeks constantly in the pub - never felt a thing. :lol:

Then there was a golf trip a few years ago when I kicked a concrete boulder in a street in Portugal thinking it was a football. Slept through the pain again until the morning when realised I may have broken my foot - played* 36 holes aided by beers.

*most people would dispute I was playing and have never picked up a golf club since
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I find that the approximate limits that are supposed to apply to driving work ok for cycling

So I try to have 2 pints or less when cycling home. Mind you that's on quiet lanes. I don't think I'd risk it on busy roads.

When I actually drive a motor vehicle my limit is zero pints
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I've done it a few times and am not proud of it. Messes with your balance, you see.

First time I forgot to put my foot down when I pulled up at a junction and just fell over.

Second time I just fell off while hammering it down OKR in the pouring rain. Had to cycle the rest of the way home with the handlebars pointing 30 degrees to the left.

Third time I don't even remember.

As a result of time three, I'm trying very hard to ensure there isn't a fourth time.
  • clarkey cat
    JZed - that boulder story sounds grim. Like stubbing your toe but a thousand times worse.

NSB - shame on you. :cry: