Anyone got any unusual or quirky hobbies?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I used to carry knives in my youth, I'd often take them to a gunfight, cause I'm well 'ard :lol:
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    mak3m wrote:
    split the kipper

Do i even want to know what that is, or why you need a knife to do it??? :shock:
  • montevideoguy
    montevideoguy Posts: 2,271

I did quote a bit of shooting whilst in the military, both for ‘work’ and for pleasure: Clay-pigeon, (shotgun), Plate (handgun) and Long range (sniper rifle). Obviously having young kids around and various changes in the UK’s gun laws have pretty much curtailed this. Still plink at targets with an old air pistol and an even older air rifle to keep my eye/hand in.

There are a few gun ranges here and been interested in going along to shoot stuff. Just about finding the time. Used to have fun with air rifles back in my youth and been hunting in Italy.
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Gazlar wrote:
    joshtp wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:
    I enjoy eating out

:shock:

I mean in restaurants, although if you want to know the Bolton story..............

It doesn't matter where you do it, he's too young to be told about it!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • yoohoo999
    edited March 2011
    i shoot. not that unusual/quirky a hobby where i'm from though. haven't shot game since i was a kid though, not really my cup of tea now.

my family have always been right into shooting, my great uncle has a bit of land that people have shot on for years, it's a great day out.

My current gun is kept in a club back near where i'm from in scotland, i don't like the idea of it being in the house when i spend so much time away with work and my gf is left alone. All it takes is one idiot spotting a gun slip coming out of the car one day and you end up having your house broken into. Plus, i don't like the idea of having to carry a gun back home with me whenever i go back for a visit, I sometimes like to fly or catch the train so it wouldn't be as practical. Much easier to leave it there and just borrow a gun for a shoot down here.

It's a lovely Beretta Silver Pigeon that my uncle gave to me quite emotionally when he thought he was dying (seriously!) but then he made a full recovery and used it as an excuse to buy a new gun. My auntie didn't complain!
  • Anonymous
    Hmm, let's see.
    I play guitar a bit, and keys, and make Drum n bass and trance music. I mess about with CGI a bit. I'm a photographer. I snowboard, run, box and ride, and do weights. I do a bit of programming.
    I used to be into my RC car racing

Nothing unusual, I suppose.
  • yoohoo999
    you got any tracks up on soundcloud yeehaa?
  • Anonymous
    Nah, I hardly ever finish anything these days. I used to make tracks as a hobby, and had them DJed at raves and such, but these days, I just play about a bit to unwind sometimes. After a full day working in the studio, I often can't be arsed when I get home, so I just fiddle occasionally.
  • joshtp wrote:
    Haha.... thanks! My mate's only a moderately fit biker... And I'm only a moderately good skater... but with lot's of practice we've got it pretty much down... it's really hard to capture... but it's awesome fun.

:D

If that's an insult i will have to beat you down...

:x :D
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    :lol:

not an insult my man, just a fact of life....

:wink:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    joshtp wrote:

Ha Ha sprung!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • joshtp wrote:

your only saying that because you're two counties away so you think your safe but believe me it's coming like a freight train and you won't know whats hit you...
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    make Drum n bass and trance music.
    nice!
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    yoohoo999 wrote:
    mak3m wrote:
    split the kipper

Do i even want to know what that is, or why you need a knife to do it??? :shock:

lol two knife wielding maniacs stand opposite each other feet should width apart you thow the knife between their feet to leave it sticking out the ground, then bend and pick it up

if you fail you have to move your feet closer together

game carries on each taking a go, winner is the one who doesnt get a knife stuck in their foot :twisted:

@yee we only had one or two full on gun fights with .22 air rifles but even back then authorities would get twitchy about a fully armed troop of boys :D, usual weapon of choice was catapult, didnt bother with any of that black widow rubbish, straight in with a diablo with elephant elastic, could bury a ball bearing 6 inches into a tree
  • VWsurfbum
    mak3m wrote:
    didnt bother with any of that black widow rubbish, straight in with a diablo
    OOH OOH I had one of those (before in confiscated thanks to my brother :roll: ) Our target of choice was scouts, we had a never ending supply of them, as our house backed on to one of the scout woods 8)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    joshtp wrote:

is fun though, I promise. :lol:

Its not though is it.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    just hockey at the moment, I haven't got time for anything else. I went through phases though:
    tennis
    shooting (back garden)
    fishing, I got really into it at the time. I even knew when the 'feeding time' was because of where the moon was.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    ethanurwin wrote:
    joshtp wrote:

your only saying that because you're two counties away so you think your safe but believe me it's coming like a freight train and you won't know whats hit you...

Ian is my only worry
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Gave up hockey after being landed in hospital, twice. It was one compressive skull fracture too many! :lol:

Used to race model cars in my youngers years (RC10, Schumacher Cat and a Yokomo Super Dogfighter). Did a lot of potholing too - took me all over the place.

Now paintball (part of a cool ad-hoc team) and rally set-up take most of the spare time.

....always wondered if I could combine the two....... :twisted:
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I like watching 12 year old boy's throwing their toys at each other across two counties, when in reality they'd be hard pushed to chuck 'em across the room.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Anonymous
    Seems a lot of people on here used to race RC cars!
  • yoohoo999
    Aggieboy wrote:
    I like watching 12 year old boy's.

Nice hobby!
  • VWsurfbum
    Seems a lot of people on here used to race RC cars!
    Year, started when i was 9 and raced up until i found pubs (offically) at 18, got quite serious too, semi sponsered at Pro 10, had deals with certain shops etc, still got friends from that era now, but dont know anyonw who still races. its all nitro rubbish now.

Hermit off roaders was our club, then springfield off roaders, was involved with the world cup course in basildon, that was something else.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    yoohoo999 wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

Nice hobby!

Well, I say hobby...............................................................

more an obsession.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • yoohoo999
    Aggieboy wrote:
    yoohoo999 wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

Nice hobby!

more an obsession.

and a perfectly healthy one at that! :lol:
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Daz555 wrote:
    I like messing about with radio controlled cars.

+potato, had a collection of over 30 at one time, all with their own electronics (servos, speed controllers, batteries) etc..
    Did a BIG sell off a few years back and still own half a dozen as well as a massive collections of spares, tools and all the related accessories needed to make them go.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    bails87 wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:
    joshtp wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:
    I enjoy eating out

I mean in restaurants, although if you want to know the Bolton story..............

for the love of god not the bolton story!!!!! :lol::lol:
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    lawman wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:
    joshtp wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:
    I enjoy eating out

for the love of god not the bolton story!!!!! :lol::lol:

mmmm intrest piqued

surely it cant be as bad as the lime and string image burned into my brain
  • montevideoguy
    montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
    Aggieboy wrote:
    yoohoo999 wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

Nice hobby!

Well, I say hobby...............................................................

more an obsession.

RELEASE THE RAPE-BOTS!
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    nothing REALLY weird, but past and present hobbies other than bikes -

archery
    photography
    electronic music making (mostly odd abstract stuff with a bit of IDM and big beat thrown in)
    cooking (and collecting kitchen knives & other implements)
    painting (art rather than decorating)
    bronze & iron age architecture (OK - that one MIGHT be a bit odd)
    collecting pens and pencils (and stationery in general - this may also be perceived as weird?)

slainte :oops: rob