Skipping

Zoomer37
Zoomer37 Posts: 725
Anyone here do it?

Few years ago I joined a local boxing club to learn the fine art and also get fit. Whilst it quickly become clear I was not going to be the next heavy weight champion of the universe I did however become a very good skipper.

I went from not being able to skip for longer than 30 seconds without tripping over the rope or just generally wanting to vomit over my feet, to being able to go for 30-40 mins with only short breaks along the way. Unfortunately in 09 I tore my rotar cuff muscle in my right shoulder and that was the end of my boxing career.

Anyhow, i've started skipping again and finding it works VERY well for improving my fitness in the saddle and its also great for dropping some my flabby bits ive picked up through getting older.

So, moral of my story is go spend £7 on a rope and work out a plan to include it into your weekly training routine. It's one of the best all body workouts there is and you'll see the benefit when attacking the hills on our bike!

Good luck :)

Comments

• I considered it but I have low impact exercise only knees by instruction of docs/physio so was never too sure abut how much damage it might do.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    I reckon riding your bike would be even better training for riding your bike. As a bonus, you also avoid looking like an 8 year old girl.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I'm also thinking about ways in which to improve my bike, so I've took up stilts, I think they're called? Well I've recently took them up and started to learn to run in them and can run even faster now.

I'll be sprinting like Mark Cavendish before you know it! :D
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    I've always thought that being able to skip would be a useful 'do anywhere, anytime' skill - but despite being so old that there were only skipping games in the playground/PE sessions when I went to school I never got good at it. Good cardio with a plyometric slant....As a complement to a winter training programme - or for people travelling - a very practical solution (tho'not of course a replacement for bike riding)
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    @ ut_och_cykla - Yeah its just ment to work along side other things you may do apart from cycling to keep fit.

Like freehub and his stilt walking or P_Tucker touring the uk with his stand up act, its good to work up a sweat off the bike.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    P_Tucker wrote:
    I reckon riding your bike would be even better training for riding your bike. As a bonus, you also avoid looking like an 8 year old girl.

Here's Mike Tyson looking like an 8 year old girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6zlaIl0yh0
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    How can a thread descend so quickly into bad taste on Training?
    Anyways, if on Saturday someone says the reason you're crap at racing is 'cos you dont skip.. I'll be first in the queue....................
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Skipping is good cardio and I cant see why it would be a problem, it may compliment cycling quite well.
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    While recovering from Achille Tendon operation (too much running) my orthopedic surgeon ( a former elite runner, a hurdler, himself) very strongly reccommended skipping.
  • slog
    slog Posts: 67
    There's no bout adout it, skipping is an awesome cardio workout, and can be mixed into a cheeky home circuit session. For starters, every time you trip over the rope, do some squats, pressups, planks or bridges. either your skipping will improve exponentially, or you'll end up looking like Rocky. Either way, you'll be onto a winner.........
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Paulie W wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

Here's Mike Tyson looking like an 8 year old girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6zlaIl0yh0

what a p@ssy he shpuld be wearing a dress :roll:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Skipping is extremely beneficial to your general wellbeing, posture and coordination skills.
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    i love skipping, just warm up properly and watch your calves/achillies
    this is my favourite vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B2Vrg1Y25c
    i need more bikes
  • Haven't tried it myself but can see immediately the rhythm involved, something quite intrinsic to cycling surely.

Really like the idea.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Haven't tried it myself but can see immediately the rhythm involved, something quite intrinsic to cycling surely.

Really like the idea.

Yes indeed, it's a well known fact that rhythm is the only difference between a chopper sportif and a protour rider.
  • Yes indeed, it's a well known fact that rhythm is the only difference between a chopper sportif and a protour rider.

I apologise for my obvious stupidity.