My Top Fuel 9.9, updated and now under 20lbs

njee20
njee20 Posts: 9,613
edited May 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Oh hi there! I've actually been riding this for a while now, just not got around to taking photos. Well I've now done so, sort of, they're rubbish, but it's there to be ridden, not photographed, I'll get some outdoorsy ones when the sun's out!

- 2011 Top Fuel 9.9
- Fox FIT RL Remote 100 fork with tapered steerer
- XTR 10 speed groupset with custom made ti chainring (as it's a gay unique BCD) race brakes with KCNC 160/140 rotors
- Home made bodged chain device, as I refuse to pay £85 for the E13/MRP offerings, it's a Superstar BB mounted one, with a DMR seat tube mount and a couple of rack stays. A friend is making a carbon one which will look far better!
- Podium wheelset with A2Z hubs and Revs, £300 and 1246g, including tape and valves. Not bad. Rocket Rons for the weigh in.
- Odd Egg Beaters after I broke one a couple of weeks ago, can't decide between some new 3s, or some old ti ones if I can get a deal
- New Ultimate stem, Bonty bars/saddle etc

Still need some lighter skewers, KCNC do an ABP one. Needs some more alu bolts, I wanted to like the green, but a) they're hard to find, and b) they don't suit, shame! With a pimpy carbon chain guide it should be reet. Want to get sub-20lbs with Rocket Rons, fitting Furious Freds would do it instantly, but they're not really a sensible tyre! May get an XX cassette too, as I was impressed by the durability last season, and they're lighter. And an X10SL. But that's it. Maybe.

Also need to trim the hoses, there's about a foot of spare rear brake hose hiding in the frame.

It goes very fast, the paint is rubbish, scratches if you look at it, and the BB bearings died in one ride, otherwise it's awesome.

Feel free to massage my ego, or tell me it's gopping.

5553528435_a1700b5daa_z.jpg

5553536141_3997a4c5fe_z.jpg

5553534613_940dbb602e_z.jpg

Loads more here

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There's no way it's that light. Your scales must be broked.

(just kidding :lol: )
  • njee20
    It's no 17lb Marin that's for sure :-)
  • has some fat bloke sat on it? your seat tube is bent! :wink:

very nice :)
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Very nice Nick...what gear ratios are you running? Contemplating going to a double chainring (9 speed) using a 25t road cassette with a triple at the moment which I find is quite good too....

Oh and the fact that you refuse to pay £85 for a chain guide yet seem fine spending however many thousands on a bike is mildly amusing :P
  • njee20
    36t ring with 11-36 cassette.

I personally can't be doing with a road cassette, tried it for a while, but I just found myself shifting on the front constantly, and was always shifting multiple gears on the back, found the more abrupt changes in terrain on the MTB didn't suit a close ratio block.

Been on a double for 5 years though, and love it, for 9 speed I found 28/40 with an 11-34 great.

It's not the cost of the chain guide per se, it's that a BB mounted one costs £16, whilst a seat tube mounted one, which is essentially identical, is £85. That's more than an XTR front mech! My solution cost £20!
  • Tom BB
    Out of interest (and sorry for a hijack!) why do you prefer a 36t with 10 speed and a 40t with 9 speed? I'd been thinking that 38 or 36 would be the way to go big ring wise for me-I dont really push a big gear all that well on an mtb.
  • njee20
    Because the 40 was adequate for 95% of my riding, and gave a bit more top end on the road, but you still had the 28 for steep stuff. Having now gone single ring I wanted something in the middle.

Last year I had 28/42 with an 11-36, found I was in the 42 virtually all the time, but right at the top of the block, so it made sense to go for sommat in the middle. Liking it so far.
  • Tom BB
    njee20 wrote:
    Because the 40 was adequate for 95% of my riding, and gave a bit more top end on the road, but you still had the 28 for steep stuff. Having now gone single ring I wanted something in the middle.

Last year I had 28/42 with an 11-36, found I was in the 42 virtually all the time, but right at the top of the block, so it made sense to go for sommat in the middle. Liking it so far.

Ah right....sorry brain fade here-was think that you were still double (even though I read about your chain guide)

Are you and the Trek going to be at Sherwood this weekend? I'll be there hoping to avoid last place in the Sport race! I'm getting abit nervous about it now!
  • njee20
    Yep I'll be there, black and yellow Beyond Mountain Bikes kit, say hi! You won't come last I'm sure, hope you're good on the flat!
  • Tom BB
    njee20 wrote:
    hope you're good on the flat!

Nope! :oops: .......maybe the close ratios of my cassette will give me that crucial advantage though!...Blue and White Lichfield CCC/Zipvit kit here-see you there :D
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    Noice, I bet that's rapid.
  • ollie51
  • ollie51
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    do them scales have a tare function ?
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • njee20
    Oui, do I need to post a video of them at 0 and me lifting the bike onto them? :-)

The wheels have made a real difference, got some Pro 2s/Crests for pottering about on, but the Podiums are seriously quick.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    id say 22lbs is a fair weight. for all we know the bike may be missing a front wheel in the scale photo. and scales show zero when the weight is tared. after all the talk of questioning other peoples bike weights you try and get away with this outrage !!!!!!!!!!
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Anonymous
    Sorry, njee20, I seem to have kicked something off! :oops:
  • ollie51
    If anything when you race you should claim your bike weighs more than it does, that way you can have an excuse when you cross the line if you do poorly, or just another 'fact' to substantiate your ego if you do well.[/b]
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    That's a beaut Njee!
  • njee20
    I have no shortage of excuses for being rubbish Ollie!

Don't worry Yeeha, I'd be worried if people hadn't argued the weight! It'll be at various events including Mayhem this year, as will my scales, so anyone's free to have a heft :-)
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    thats really rather lovely!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Nice bike Njee, have you actually riden it yet tho ;)
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    I have no shortage of excuses for being rubbish Ollie!

Don't worry Yeeha, I'd be worried if people hadn't argued the weight! It'll be at various events including Mayhem this year, as will my scales, so anyone's free to have a heft :-)
    I only meant it in humour, I assure you!

It's a nice looking bike, on the whole, but I cannot get my head round that weird seat tube.
  • njee20
    Agreed, it does kinda makes sense, saves a chunk of weight, as the seatpost ends up being very short, but doesn't necessitate a hacksaw to adjust your saddle height like a full seat mast :-)
    Nice bike Njee, have you actually riden it yet tho

Indeed I have, it's already done 3 races in fact! The Podium wheels have only had one ride, they'll get a proper thrashing at the BMBS this weekend.

Very impressed with it so far though, it's slightly lighter than my 2010 one, but the handling is far far better, I never had problems with the handling on the old one, but the front end on this one just feels so much stiffer. Guess tapered headsets do work!
  • Anonymous
    Ooh, Njee, (sorry to take this off topic, could use PM if you want).
    Was it with you that I was discussing the merits of dropper posts some time ago? If it was, I thought I remembered you saying you may try one out in training to see if getting the lower centre of gravity on the descents would allow you to give maximum attack on the techier sections, and then pop it back for the pedally bits of the race.
    i was just wandering if you'd tried it yet, and what your findings were.
    Since you're a racehead, it would be interesting to see the difference. I'm not fit, or fast enough on the pedally bits to make any sense in testing of it.
  • njee20
    I was certainly involved in a discussion about dropping posts, and said I'd never tried it, but would be interested to do so some time.

Can't do it on this bike though, there's not enough room for a dropper post, even if you could get one in 34.0. I can see merit in as courses get more technical, particularly if the weights come down, and I'm not a strong descender, so would be prepared to give it a punt! Sure someone will give it a go before too long.
  • Anonymous
    I'm almost certain the length of say, a joplin 4 would fit, actually. If it could be found in 34.0!

My curiosity about it is whether the benefits of faster descending would outweigh the weight increase (no pun intended).
    As you well know, I'm no racer, but I'm fascinated by the application of advancements, if you see what I mean.
  • njee20
    Yes I agree, I suspect the issue would be that you often don't get a clear run on such sections, as there are often back markers etc around, so it's not going to even be a benefit every time.

The seatpost is 200mm IIRC, the tube tapers internally before the bendy bit! If they could do a 'compact' dropper post you may be able to cram it in!
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    you could use a shim to run a dropper post... and you may be able to fit a shorter one in...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Wow Njee your bike weighs over 10punds less than mine hehe :P

Very pretty race bike indeed, other than that i have no idea on light light bikes everything for me is tough tough lol