Eureka Cyclists Cafe

2»

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    dodgy wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    Damn and I thought I actually was gonna make it into Cycling Plus :(

I can tell you the Manchester Wheelers needed 3 attempts to get to the cafe, I think they might have succeeded on the 3rd.

I've seen the Manchester Wheelers in there many a time.

I was on about the most recent attempt.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    freehub wrote:
    Damn and I thought I actually was gonna make it into Cycling Plus :(

I can tell you the Manchester Wheelers needed 3 attempts to get to the cafe, I think they might have succeeded on the 3rd.

Why did they get lost?
  • freehub
    Bad weather I think and a crash or that might have been another ride.
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Eureka gets a thumbs up from me. For me its about the people. As a kid i'd never have got into cycling without the community around the 'mills'. I rode with Port Sunlight Wheelers and North Wirral Velo, there was always someone to ride with if you rode out there in a morning. These days i pass through when visiting the Wirral, im not a regular, but always get a smile, i've even had an invite to join a ride with the 'North End. It's STILL a great community. For me its not about the cake, but pints of tea, milkshakes and beans and a spare always go down well.

Will, i'll take you and show around so you can make your own mind up!
  • They sell a wide range of cake and flapjacks - but in reality it is a great cyclists cafe as mainly used by cyclists.

Lots of clubs meet there with rides to suit every speed on a Wednesday and Sunday - when people turn up wanting to try a club ride Ann points them in direction of club that suits them most.

Great homemade soups - although don't leave it too late as they often run out.

Pints of tea a hallmark, and sweetcorn on the side for my kids every time!

Whilst it is on a main road only a few hundred yards to a quiet road which links into sustrans network - plenty of lanes and cycleways close to it - take kids down pavement for very busy bit.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    They sell a wide range of cake and flapjacks - but in reality it is a great cyclists cafe as mainly used by cyclists.

Lots of clubs meet there with rides to suit every speed on a Wednesday and Sunday - when people turn up wanting to try a club ride Ann points them in direction of club that suits them most.

Great homemade soups - although don't leave it too late as they often run out.

Pints of tea a hallmark, and sweetcorn on the side for my kids every time!

Whilst it is on a main road only a few hundred yards to a quiet road which links into sustrans network - plenty of lanes and cycleways close to it - take kids down pavement for very busy bit.

And cake is? Chocolate? Banana? Carrot? Smoked Tea? Fudge?

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    freehub wrote:
    From everyone I ask about it, it's apparently overrated and they just think it's another cafe.
    I'd go along with that, I went there with the club last year just to see what it was like. I don't think it's as good as some other cafes and they're ripoff merchants, I won't be going there again.

Now the Cheshire Ice Cream Farm near Tattenhall is the place to go, cyclist friendly and not as expensive as the Eureka cafe.
  • freehub
    freehub wrote:
    From everyone I ask about it, it's apparently overrated and they just think it's another cafe.
    I'd go along with that, I went there with the club last year just to see what it was like. I don't think it's as good as some other cafes and they're ripoff merchants, I won't be going there again.

Now the Cheshire Ice Cream Farm near Tattenhall is the place to go, cyclist friendly and not as expensive as the Eureka cafe.

Blaze Farm on the A54 is full of win also.
  • bigbaz
    bigbaz Posts: 538
    Over-rated.This place depends on cyclists for survival but the welcome is often poor...the woman who runs it can be bloody rude.Ice Cream Farm or Priest House at Audlem are far superior...more welcoming,better food and cheaper.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    bigbaz wrote:
    Over-rated.This place depends on cyclists for survival but the welcome is often poor...the woman who runs it can be bloody rude.Ice Cream Farm or Priest House at Audlem are far superior...more welcoming,better food and cheaper.

agreed... just dont turn up Mondays , gaspin for a brew (shut) mind you, the local chippy made me a lovely cuppa gratis with me half time chips, bless 'em
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Rude? WTF are you talking about? The lady who runs it is the possibly the most chipper person I've ever known, she's always laughing and joking, I mean more or less constantly! I don't know how she does it!

There's obviously some people with an axe to grind on here. :roll:
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    bigbaz wrote:

Thats sh1te that. You're either a liar or a "difficult" customer.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • bigbaz
    bigbaz wrote:

There have been two occasions when our club have had a less than pleasant experience at Eureka.None of us are difficult and I am not a liar.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I don't know where to start here, the last criticism I would ever bet on is a less than good welcome at Eureka, they're famed for it. I'm in there several times a week and I've never so much witnessed even the most vague of bad atmospheres, unhelpfulness, or whatever label you want to give it.

I used to have a mate who would tell us stories of other idiot drivers and close shaves almost every time he went out in his car...
  • fast as fupp
    bigbaz wrote:
    bigbaz wrote:

There have been two occasions when our club have had a less than pleasant experience at Eureka.None of us are difficult and I am not a liar.

What clubs that? Misery arse road club?
  • bigbaz
    You have a real way with words.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    bigbaz wrote:
    bigbaz wrote:

What clubs that? Misery ars* road club?
    Head stuck in sand.
  • fast as fupp
    bigbaz wrote:
    You have a real way with words.

i'm good with gestures too!

*flicks v's*
  • DIESELDOG
    Must say this popcorns nice...

Munch munch...

Love n hugs

DD

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    It's just a f*ckin' cafe, get over it. If you like it go, if not, take your business somewhere else.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • bigbaz
    Well said.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Aggieboy wrote:
    I'll send you some Butterkist...

She likes it salty :lol:
    Ding Ding.......... Round one !!
    :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    What clubs that? Misery ars* road club?

Ooh, they sound fun. I'm looking for a new club but can't find any info on the 'net. Are they anything to do with the 'Curmudgeonly Wheelers'?
  • DIESELDOG
    Aggieboy wrote:
    It's just a f*ckin' cafe, get over it. If you like it go, if not, take your business somewhere else.

My God!! You said something sensible...

I need to lay down :wink:

Love n hugs

DD

• freehub
    bigbaz wrote:

Well I heard she chucked a member of a local Mcr club out and barred him for being rude before.

What club are you from?

I can agree the Priest House in Audlem is good, it was worth a 104 mile bike ride, I got a nice bacon and Brie sarnie I think it was and LASHINGS of mayonnaise. Although it is a really tight fit in there!
  • uppercentenaryboy
    edited April 2011
    I don't often agree with a bitter blue-nose but Fast as Fupp is dead right. It's a great cafe, it welcomes all cyclists, the lady who runs it is dead chipper, a good laugh and always remembers people who've been in. The food is typical cyclists fair, beans on toast, egg ditto - pretty reasonably priced. All the major carb bars on the counter, gels etc.

Cake - there is a basic list of franjapan, eccles, caramel shortbread, Choc marble, christmassy cake, muffins etc supplemented by the occasional gem by Holly. But this cafe doesn't fit into the magazine stereotype cakestop view. Most people meet up early, have there breakfast, head off for a tough day in Wales and come back for a coffee, recovery drink and gab.

If you've had a bad experience there (never seen anyone have one myself in 30 years) then you've probably deserved it & personally I'm all for chucking people out for being rude (or from Mcr :D ) It's part our cycling history up here and we love it.

Agreed - Priest House in Audlem and Ice Cream Factory also good cafes.
  • Aggieboy wrote:

You missed the word 'good' after the word 'f*ckin''

Also - 'rip-off' WTF, 60p for a cup of tea. You'd have to be sleeping rough to get it cheaper.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Aggieboy wrote:

You missed the word 'good' after the word 'f*ckin''

Also - 'rip-off' WTF, 60p for a cup of tea. You'd have to be sleeping rough to get it cheaper.

Surely you want the word 'good' before f*ckin' cafe, then it may get a lot more custom!
  • Takes too long to get out of the bib tights :D