Boat Race

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
Spring is here.

Ergo, the boat race is here.

My PTP pick is Cambridge by 3 lengths.

Anyone interested/care?

I was brought up in the town with family who lecture there and I did a fair bit of coxing when I was younger, so it's quite fun for me.

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Spring is here.

Anyone interested/care?

I was brought up in the town with family who lecture there and I did a fair bit of coxing when I was younger, so it's quite fun for me.

I bet you did. The office rumour is true then! (see what I did there, Forum banter).

On a serious note, what do you base your verdict on?
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • rick_chasey
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Spring is here.

Anyone interested/care?

I bet you did. The office rumour is true then! (see what I did there, Forum banter).

On a serious note, what do you base your verdict on?

Heavier boat, more experienced crew...

I used to know the cox who did it a few years back. The female one. Wasn't very keen. Her sister was a proper psyco too. Fancied some of the guys in my boat and tried to take my place!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Cambridge are heavier and the obvious favourites but I it's kinda pointless trying to predict the outcome.

And oxford will win :twisted:
  • rick_chasey
    Cambridge are heavier and the obvious favourites but I it's kinda pointless trying to predict the outcome.

And oxford will win :twisted:

Gotta bet on the distance the win will be. Then it's interesting. :P
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    oxford to win by 3 waves.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Crazed hippos to attack both boats.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Not a big fan but isn't it too predictable due to which "lane" you draw?
  • Aggieboy

:wink:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    My old school plays another school at rugby. Why isn't that televised? :twisted:

Meh. Followed by zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The team in blue will win :)
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Toffs Uni vs. Toffs Uni (I know they aren't supposed to be, but a lot of their students are the rich/priviliged) shown on the BBC which has a network of Oxbridge people. If it was Univ.Challenge rowing, I don't think it would get airtime.
    M.Rushton
  • rick_chasey
    mrushton wrote:
    Toffs Uni vs. Toffs Uni (I know they aren't supposed to be, but a lot of their students are the rich/priviliged) shown on the BBC which has a network of Oxbridge people. If it was Univ.Challenge rowing, I don't think it would get airtime.

That'll be why it's been on ITV the last few years.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Aggieboy wrote:

:wink:

Rearrange this; off p1ss. :P
  • mrushton wrote:

Aye if it was like the FA Cup & you'd had all the earlier rounds and had seen the upset when Scumbag Poly beat Footlights College and now the two best boats in the country rowed by proper students were going head to head over a mega distance on the Thames, I might, just might watch that.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    gonna put £5.00 each way on Oxford :wink:
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    Aye if it was like the FA Cup & you'd had all the earlier rounds and had seen the upset when Scumbag Poly beat Footlights College and now the two best boats in the country rowed by proper students were going head to head over a mega distance on the Thames, I might, just might watch that.

Yes, well rowing does have its equivalent of the FA Cup - it's called Henley Royal Regatta and there are qualifying rounds, followed by knock out rounds each day from Wednesday leading up to the finals on Sunday.

It's on between 29 June - 3 July and free to watch if you head down to the river bank in Henley - see you there!
  • mrushton
    Full of men of a certain age dressed in striped blazers and all something in the City no doubt,reminiscing about their days at Eton/Rugby/Winchester/Caius and Trinity. Prob. no-one there from North of Watford
    M.Rushton
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    mrushton wrote:
    Full of men of a certain age dressed in striped blazers and all something in the City no doubt,reminiscing about their days at Eton/Rugby/Winchester/Caius and Trinity. Prob. no-one there from North of Watford

Thanks for applying the same tired old stereotype without having actually been there yourself. Whilst no doubt there is more than a fair share of the types you describe above rowing is more accessible than being limited to south of Watford - in fact recent "North of Watford" Henley winners include Nottingham & Union BC, Tyne RC, Aberdeen BC, Agecroft (Manchester), York City...hardly areas you'd normally associate with affluence.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    weapons wrote:
    mrushton wrote:

Thanks for applying the same tired old stereotype without having actually been there yourself. Whilst no doubt there is more than a fair share of the types you describe above rowing is more accessible than being limited to south of Watford - in fact recent "North of Watford" Henley winners include Nottingham & Union BC, Tyne RC, Aberdeen BC, Agecroft (Manchester), York City...hardly areas you'd normally associate with affluence.

You have clearly never been to Aberdeen then.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    I like watching the Boat Race, for the full-on physical spectacle.

They don't spend all the time falling over like footballers.
    They don't get a minion to carry their gear like golfists.
    They don't stop for a sit down every ten minutes like in that game with rackets.
    They don't use other mammals to do all the work like with sitting on a running horse.

(and they don't draft each other like those lazy roadies :twisted: )
  • Aggieboy
    shm_uk wrote:

They don't stop for a sit down every ten minutes like in that game with rackets.
    They don't use other mammals to do all the work like with sitting on a running horse.

Yeah, but they've all got small cox though.
  • rick_chasey
    Aggieboy wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

Yeah...
  • Stewie Griffin
    Aggieboy wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

I understand that the team with the smallest cox has an advantage over those with the bigger cox.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I usually watch a fair bit of the rowing when the Olympics is on but I must admit I'd never consider giving the Boat Race a look. Can't explain why...just doesn't appeal in the same way.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    id only be interested if the punts had to dodge torpedoes
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    id only be interested if the punts had to dodge torpedoes
    inset obvious rhyming pun here.

Lived in Cambridge for 8 years got a good mate from Caius. Couldn't give a shiny one about it.
  • mrushton
    weapons wrote:
    mrushton wrote:

Aberdeen is an expensive place due to it's proximity to oil. york is expensive because the city and the environs are a nice area (expensive) similarly Notts. Agecroft - don't know the club but the area isn't expensive. Not a working mans sport is it tho' (are there any?) and most of those that seem to make the big league are public school types or 'professional' rowers from eg the Army
    M.Rushton
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    As hinted above if the 'boat race' was done on a knock out basis then it would be doubtful if either ox or cam teams would be in the final.

A bit like Spurs or Arsenal in the F.A. cup. :twisted:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I'm tipping UWIC to beat Oxford in the semis.

What do you mean they can't enter?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I knew this would turn into a row.

I know, coat.