The Beacon Little Mountain TT 2011 is HERE!

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Shall we have a BikeRadar Corner at the HQ where we can all meet up?!

Ruth

:shock: Does that mean I have to make it back to HQ!?...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    Peejay78 - my apologies but you crept into the entries under my radar. Looking forward to meeting you.

s'ok. i don't post that often on here these days. anyway, i'll be on the road bike; and possibly not in club colours, because the jersey is a bit uncomfy. i get stick for it from the elders.

looking forward to it, but it could go either way - riding the buxton mountain time trial on the friday (!). equates to a long weekend, of 6500 feet in 70 miles at race pace. hmmm.
  • bexslack
    bexslack Posts: 81
    peejay78 wrote:
    looking forward to it, but it could go either way - riding the buxton mountain time trial on the friday (!). equates to a long weekend, of 6500 feet in 70 miles at race pace. hmmm.

You are not alone! I think there could be a few of us doubling up - including Jeff Jones and I.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    ...I just plotted the course for the Buxton Mtn TT and looked at the profile. Ouch. That's my incentive to get the light TT bike on the road.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/J8 ... urse-1-lap

Going to be a fun weekend!
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • bexslack
    bexslack Posts: 81
    I saw this and wept...

http://www.buxtoncc.org.uk/events/bigMTNprofile.htm

and then realised I was being chased down by Michelle King, Lynn Hamel and Sarah Storey and wept some more.....
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I had considered doing either/both the Beacon Mountain TT and the Buxton Mountain TT.

Until I realized how much I hate hills. So it's a flat 25 mile TT instead for me - but wishing all the riders a safe and successful ride!
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Pokerface wrote:
    I had considered doing either/both the Beacon Mountain TT and the Buxton Mountain TT.

Until I realized how much I hate hills. So it's a flat 25 mile TT instead for me - but wishing all the riders a safe and successful ride!
    You can ride a flat 25 any weekend for the rest of the season - but there's only one Beacon Little Mountain TT. Have a think about it for next year eh? :wink:

Thanks for your best wishes for the event. I imagine every race organiser hopes for a safe event and breathes that little bit more easily after the last rider is home.

Ruth
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    You can ride a flat 25 any weekend for the rest of the season - but there's only one Beacon Little Mountain TT. Have a think about it for next year eh? :wink:

I'm off to race in Sydney (TT/RR) in just over a week so a flat TT is better prep!

But not only will I be a lot lighter next year, but will have more time. So I will see you there!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You have to see my hilly TT ability to believe it, and you thought my flat TTing was bad! :)

Good luck in Sydney!
  • hopper1
    Just put a 27/12 block on my disc... How weird does that look! I haven't got a 28/11! :roll:
    Well, I hope the weather over there, is as good as that which I'm enjoying on the East coast :wink:
  • Anonymous
    SBezza flying at the mo with a 19.17 10 today.
    I did a PB 10 this week which was 3 minutes quicker than at this point last year with a 22.49.

SBezza, however, can climb.

NapD descends slower than SBezza climbs...

However, still, really looking forward to this!

I think I've mucked up my target of winning most improved rider, unless I cheat and do it on a TT bike (did it on a road bike last year...)
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Local forecast is good :) and it's currently very pleasant outside.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Hi Ruth
    I know its too let but the road works at bottom of Ankerdine have been put aside for the Easter weekend :evil:

Re the weather its toasty hot on Ankerdine at mo 8)
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Come on Ruth put the original course back in place :twisted: though the descent on the new course is cracking.
  • hopper1
    SBezza wrote:
    Come on Ruth put the original course back in place :twisted: though the descent on the new course is cracking.

Steve... How long do I have to climb for, before I get to that descent?.... Is it two descents?...
  • SBezza
    hopper1 wrote:
    SBezza wrote:

Steve... How long do I have to climb for, before I get to that descent?.... Is it two descents?...

It is the descent that takes you from the top of Stanford Bank back to the bottom of it, well to the river valley. You will do it twice. So climbing is just however long it takes you to climb Stanford Bank twice :lol:

Then again there are quite a few sapping hills prior to that hill as well.
  • hopper1
    SBezza wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:
    SBezza wrote:

It is the descent that takes you from the top of Stanford Bank back to the bottom of it, well to the river valley. You will do it twice. So climbing is just however long it takes you to climb Stanford Bank twice :lol:

Then again there are quite a few sapping hills prior to that hill as well.

Cheers, Steve... You're making me feel really good about riding this, tomorrow...

Will be leaving home soon, enroute to this 'mare!
  • Jeff Jones
    NapoleonD wrote:
    SBezza flying at the mo with a 19.17 10 today.
    I did a PB 10 this week which was 3 minutes quicker than at this point last year with a 22.49.
    That's an awesome ride SBezza (and NapD, that ain't bad either). 1'13 behind Hutch in a 10 - I'd take that any day.

Tomorrow's going to be fun. I recce'd the new bit of the course today and it isn't too bad. The bit along the river to the bottom of Stanford Bank is on a dead, up and down road. That is going to hurt, especially with the climb to come.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    SBezza wrote:
    Sorry, the idea of reverting to the classic course at this stage is unthinkable. Circa 30 marshals, timekeepers, sign putter-outers, checkers and photographers are all lined up to be in the appropriate place at the appropriate time. Not to mention the fact that a great number of riders have taken the trouble to go out and look at the course in advance. 44 out of 98 riders are new to the event, which means they wouldn't know the classic course if they were told it had changed in the morning. If they have been out recce-ing the revised course then it would be totally unfair to change it at this stage...........

Sorry. I think the revised course is a still a pretty damn fine course and ticks all the boxes, arguably being even more 'scenic' than the classic course. :lol:

Very very frustrating for me as an organiser, though. The county council were absolutely adamant that there was no chance of the roadworks finishing before Easter when I spoke to them last. :(

Still, everything's set for a cracking event tomorrow!

Ruth
  • SBezza
    I know you can't revert back now Ruth :D , and like you say the revision is not a bad one at all. Still a cracking little course IMO.

As Jeff says the road between Ham Bridge and the bottom of Stanford Bank will be a leg killer for sure.

Thanks Jeff, I suppose us vets did get the slightly better conditions with it being warmer, was happy being fairly close to Andy Bason as well :D
  • Wish I was there - good luck to all riders and chapeau to all at the Beacon who help to stage the event. It's the best TT i've ever ridden - and i don't think i'll ever find an event to beat it!
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • SBezza
    Ouch that hurt quite a bit, revised course was probably harder than the normal course, though given it is longer the times were not far off the original course.

NapD was on for stonking ride, unfortunately a corner didn't like him very much, I will let him explain.

Well done to bexslack for retaining your title :D and well done Jeff for your 2nd place, Matt Clinton put in a hell of a ride for the win. I did worse than last year, though I did beat last years winner :D , and I was the 1st old git :lol:

Thanks Ruth and the Beacon RCC, another cracking event, and course.

Right just need to lose some more weight, and learn how to ride up hills fast :P for a return in 2012 (maybe :wink: )
  • Sheptastic
    Sheptastic Posts: 298
    that was the hardest race I've done.

I thought i was going to grind to a halt the 2nd time up Stanford Bank and the last rise before the finish but I think it was the idea of being repassed by the 4 riders i'd caught that kept me moving on SB and sheer bloodymindedness that forced me over the last climb.

Came 29th of 77 so pretty pleased as I did the 'roadmans' comp and thus didnt have any aero shiz.

I havent raced down clifton bank before - muuuch more technical than ! thought it was!
  • Sheptastic
    Anyone who has the cohonas to come and race this event gets a lot of respect from me, regardless of their finish position. 8)
  • Jeff Jones
    That did hurt - great course though, it properly challenges you. Thank you once again BeaconRuth and the Beacon RC. This is one of the classic TTs.

Good to catch up with some BR people today (missed ya NapD - what happened?)

Note to self and SBezza: sort the front derailleur (and the bars!) out next time.

I'm in sore need of a beer.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • SBezza
    The bars were nice a tight Thursday night, as that is when I tinkered with my position. Must be those bumpy roads :lol:
  • Sheptastic
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    That did hurt - great course though, it properly challenges you. Thank you once again BeaconRuth and the Beacon RC. This is one of the classic TTs.

Good to catch up with some BR people today (missed ya NapD - what happened?)

Note to self and SBezza: sort the front derailleur (and the bars!) out next time.

I'm in sore need of a beer.

Sorry to miss the BR meeting - havent met any of you and it would have been nice to put names to avatars! Had to dash off for obligatory easter family time..
  • Anonymous
    To all those saying this ride hurt, it bloody well did! :shock:

I was flying today and at the 2010 distance point I was 10 minutes up on last year's time.

Turned left for the last nasty drag to the finish and KABLOOIE! Slid on gravel/debris. Slid across the road but luckily the cars had been held back by the marshalls....

Sprung back up but I was a bit of a mess, my left side was really hurting. I had to redo the rear mech cable which had come out and the mech was stuck. Got going again after a few minutes but the rear brake was rubbing badly and I was stuck in the big ring. Those who rode the route will know how much of a bugger the last drag is. It was HARD!

I finally limped home in 2.16.23, 60th out of 77. (I was in the roadman category with box section rims)

I was shaking like a sh1tting dog at the end, gutted as otherwise the improvement prize (one of my main aims for this year) would have been mine :(

There were 2 others that I spoke to at the end that had moments at that Martley turn, one of whom ended up on the grass on the other side of the road!

Taking positives though, as I said, I was flying and my form was good (for me) and some of the descents are brilliant!

Many thanks to Beacon for organizing this event again, the atmosphere is great.

Well done Ruth for showing great composure despite the setbacks of changed routes, police incidents and delayed starts!

Well done Jeff, Steve and Bex on your results.

Nice to meet Hopper...

Jeff, I saw you but every time I went to introduce myself you buggered off!

I'm a bit sore now though...

33d579cb.jpg