Upgrades... in which order?

Rushmore
Rushmore Posts: 674
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Hi..

What would you good people recomend upgrading first on my bike?? What would you recommend upgrading to and what next..

My bike + spec here = http://www.evanscycles.com/products/com ... 9#features

:)
Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
De Rosa R838

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I can never understand buying a bike and wanting to upgrade it straight away. Why buy it in the first place?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Wheels.

Fork.

Then all the drivetrain bits as they wear.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Tyres are usually the first thing to change. You may be the best rider on the best bike but that doesn't mean anything if your tyres are no good.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Ride the bike a little first, then ride some more and finally do a little riding. Then once you've rode it some more upgrade the contact points you aren't comfortable with.

After that I recommend a intense course of riding the bike to find out what else you don't like. Then when parts wear out from all this riding replace those.

:)
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Whatever breaks/wears out first.

If you just want to spend some cash then I'd go for wheels & tyres, chainset, forks depending on how fat the wedge in your pocket is...
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Rushmore
    cooldad wrote:
    I can never understand buying a bike and wanting to upgrade it straight away. Why buy it in the first place?

I don't want to upgrade it... i'm happy with the way it is for now :)

It's just intresting to know what people recommend when I come to cross that bridge 8)

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    other than tyres/contact points there isn't much point in upgrading.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    edited March 2011
    don't change a thing, just get out and ride it :)

after a year or two your confidence and skills will improve and by then you'll have a better idea of what type of riding you like doing, you can then start thinking about the next set of kit but that's not today's worry - have fun, it's gonna be a long summer 8)

[EDIT]
    looking at the spec a bit more, the tyres are suited for summer riding (dryer conditions) so for the moment experiment with the tyre pressures to get the best grip and roll blend. The saddle looks like a charge spoon which are popular so you may well be ok with this
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    if you are happy with it then I would vote to leave it.

I am still riding my £300 bike from 4 years ago, although only the frame and bars are original.

I took the upgrade as things wear and/or need changing approach.

The stem was changes because i needed a lower rise one, I upgraded the brakes because the originals constant need for felting annoyed me.

after that all my upgrades were on an as needed basis. My forkes failed (suntors) so i bought toras. My drivetrain wore out so i bought a deore groupset to replace it.

My most recent upgrade was a new wheelset after my freehub gave up.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Tyres

Fork, I know budget forks have come on a lot in recent years, but any RST or Suntour fork I've ever seen as been fit for the bin after a few months.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    upgrade the rider....by riding.

no point having a 2 grand bike and 50 pence legs!

then when you have upgraded the rider suitably...tyres...

then after continuing to upgrade the rider...

fork. don't go daft... a tora or equivalent will be more than adequate.....

then as drivetrain wears, potentially upgrade the rear mech/cassette/chain/shifter to SLX. I wouldn't bother going further up the than SLX....

then stop upgrading....put any cash you want to spend in a big jar, and save it towards the next bike.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Id be thinking about changing the forks personally. I had a set of suntour XCR on my first bike. they siezed solid first time out on a blue route :lol:
  • Rushmore
    1. beard
    2. balls
    3. shave legs

In that order.

Anwers:

1. When Puberty kicks in, i'll try.
    2. 3 is enough for any man!
    3. see question 1
    :D

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I'd say:

Tyres
    Forks
    Brakes
    Gearing - to get to 27+ gears
    Wheels

Other than that, the bike IS entry level and you'd best be biting your lip, spending £200-300 more and getting a bike that requires less short/long term upgrades
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Contact points... Any bike I have gets the same grips and saddle, I just like the familiarity. Bars and stem, depending on what's fitted and how well chosen it is. Pedals, almost certainly, nothing comes with good flats on. And tyres, so much a matter of taste so if you know what you like there's a pretty good chance your new bike won't have that.

Oh and a good quality quick release seatclamp!

Otherwise, get a big dog and train it to bite you every time you think about needlessly upgrading a part.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    Contact points... Any bike I have gets the same grips and saddle, I just like the familiarity. Bars and stem, depending on what's fitted and how well chosen it is. Pedals, almost certainly, nothing comes with good flats on. And tyres, so much a matter of taste so if you know what you like there's a pretty good chance your new bike won't have that.

Otherwise, get a big dog and train it to bite you every time you think about needlessly upgrading a part.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • dan shard
    Northwind wrote:

Actually thats a good point. One of the best upgrades Ive ever done was to buy lizard skin grips. Completely changed the feel of the bike for £20
  • Rushmore
    kool..

so pedals then!!

I've basically cut the crap out of my legs with the spikey little buggers I have at the mo.. Also they grippy spikes only go half way across the pedal on one side so i keep having to spin the pedals round otherwise my foot hangs off the side..

can anyone recommend some nice light flats?

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Dont bother upgrading, save the money and hassle and just get a decent bike once you've practice some on this or broken it.
  • upgrade as things break.

so probally

pedals
    tyres
    cassette
    chain
    crankset
    wheels
    brakes
    fork
    ..........get the idea

legs
    arms
    back
    balls
    ar**
    time to pay the doctor a visit again....
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    As above, I don't upgrade something unless I break it.

Although pedals, seat and tyres make sense.

Pedals: I love my Superstar CNC Nano Tech flats, such a large surface area that you'll never lose your footing with the right shoes on.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.ph ... 74b0521163
  • paulbox
    Northwind wrote:
    Why... :? Do these come with a poor quality clamp?
  • dan shard
    Im currently lusting after a set of Crank brothers 50/50 pedals. Look uber cool

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q= ... a=N&tab=wi
  • Northwind
    PaulBox wrote:
    Northwind wrote:

Practically nothing comes with a good QR seat clamp. The difference between an adequate cheapy and a good one is the difference between having it stuck solid when it's full of mud, and not, in my experience...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • paulbox
    Northwind wrote:
    PaulBox wrote:
    Northwind wrote:

Practically nothing comes with a good QR seat clamp. The difference between an adequate cheapy and a good one is the difference between having it stuck solid when it's full of mud, and not, in my experience...
    Who makes a good one?

I must admit that I've never had an issue with one, Anthem doesn't even have one...
  • Northwind
    If you're not a seatpost dropper it's not an issue obviously but if you're making use of a QR to adjust your post, it makes all the difference. Hope and Chromag are good. The Ragley one's OK. If I knew who made the one that came with my old Scandal frame I'd recommend that, it was ace. Salsa are good as long as they stay clean.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    don't get a qr, if the frame will take it get a drop post! Sooooooo much better.
  • Northwind
    Can't disagree, other than that it's probably not the ideal recommendation for someone that's spent £400 on the whole bike.
    Uncompromising extremist