Increasing Stamina

TMR
TMR Posts: 3,986
Sorry for the generic question, I realise the answer to this is probably fairly open. I am a road cycling noob, have enjoyed mountain biking for years, did the C2C last year and a 65 mile sportive and have recently got my first road bike. I've been out 3 times now, and while I have some power I am really lacking stamina. I'd like to build up from 1.5 hour rides to 4-5 hour rides (for 100m sportives), but I'd like to be able to go fairly quickly throughout.

What's the best way to do this?

My training currently consists of two rides a weekend (the Sunday one with a very fit friend who pushes me hard), using the exercise bike at the gym on Mondays and Wednesdays for 30 mins of Strength Training and Spinning Class for 45 mins on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Gradually increase the distance of your rides. I would suggest doing longer sessions during the week as well, but that comes down to how much time you have available. Your stamina will improve as you get fitter, and as you get the body used to doing longer rides.

I think some 1-2 hour hard tempo rides help with both endurance and power, and are quite easy to fit in after work, especially now as it is getting lighter in the evenings.
  • TMR
    SBezza wrote:
    Gradually increase the distance of your rides. I would suggest doing longer sessions during the week as well, but that comes down to how much time you have available. Your stamina will improve as you get fitter, and as you get the body used to doing longer rides.

I think some 1-2 hour hard tempo rides help with both endurance and power, and are quite easy to fit in after work, especially now as it is getting lighter in the evenings.

Thanks for that. I work in the City and my commute is 1.5 hours each way. I usually get home around 7 PM in the evenings, so by the time I've helped put our baby to bed I'd be 8 PM and then my wife would be wanting dinner.

It wouldn't be impossible to get out during the week, but domestically it may cause a few issues :(
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    SBezza wrote:

Thanks for that. I work in the City and my commute is 1.5 hours each way. I usually get home around 7 PM in the evenings, so by the time I've helped put our baby to bed I'd be 8 PM and then my wife would be wanting dinner.

It wouldn't be impossible to get out during the week, but domestically it may cause a few issues :(
    I agree with SBezza, if you can't get out in the evening why not really push yourself on the homeward bound journey on at least three of your commutes. Obviously don't jump red lights but when its safe give it some welly. After a month or two you should find you've got a bit more power in the tank for longer endurance paced rides. Alternatively leave half an hour early and tag on some extra miles to your commute. Good luck
  • dgstewart
    dgstewart Posts: 252
    I take it from his post that his commute is not by bike, but 1.5 hrs of train/bus/car. If he was commuting 1.5 hrs each way on the bike each day, I think he would have some good stamina already!
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    dgstewart wrote:
    I take it from his post that his commute is not by bike, but 1.5 hrs of train/bus/car. If he was commuting 1.5 hrs each way on the bike each day, I think he would have some good stamina already!
    Ha ha :oops: too much Red Wine, I saw commute and assumed he was cycling. Ignore what I said. Make you Gym efforts a 20minute time trial effor. Put the bike in a gear that matches up with your riding cadence on flat road and go hard as you can for the duration. :D
  • Rollers (or a turbo if you must) may help or save time perhaps instead of going to the gym you can jump on them for a bit of a sesh after work, baby to bed detail and wife appeasement after dinner? Or maybe a quick sesh in the morning if you are feeling frisky?
  • TMR
    My commute is by train. Once the lighter nights arrive, I might be able to get out for an hour then. I've bought the 'Time Crunched Cyclist', so I'm going to try and put as much intensity into my week day workouts in the gym (and then on the road) as I can.

Thanks for the comments :D
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    Simply just ride and build up the miles. I don't have a turbo or rollers, but go to the gym. I stopped doing spin classes, and began doing my own sessions doing 45-60mins interval training and hill work on the stationary bike each week, with an easy ride in between with a long ride on the road at weekends. When the clocks change will be doing 45-60min rides when I get home from work a couple of times a week too.
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    Whilst interval work will up your threshold levels, and subsequently appear to improve stamina when riding at a lower effort, the ultimate solution would be to put the time in and build a quality base fitness. This way you build a stronger and more efficient engine.

This is quite a useful article

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... sics-28838

Even if you don't have a heart rate monitor, you could go by perceived effort.

Good luck with your endeavours.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • TMR
    Thanks again ;)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    3hrs a day commuting, a baby, a job in the City and a wife?

Sounds like you've got stamina to spare! 8)

But cycling-wise you're screwed ;)