Who's doing the cheshire cat this weekend?

I'll be the slightly porky one trying to do the 45 miler in less than 2 1/2 hrs :shock:

Comments

• DamonC
    DamonC Posts: 263
    My first Sportive and doing the 100 mile.....a little apprehensive.... 8)
    Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    DamonC wrote:
    My first Sportive and doing the 100 mile.....a little apprehensive.... 8)
    Exactly the same here. Can't wait though :)
  • R8JimBob88
    R8JimBob88 Posts: 285
    They have sold out apparently. I am doing the 100 mile route, will be my furthest ride to date. Ive been training hard so i'm pretty confident. I have already ridden the main 4 ascents recently and the last one out of Wincle is a killer!

The "Killer Mile" isnt so killer either, just over hyped nonsense to get more people to sign up, its a steady climb up to the last 100 yards or so and then its a quick 25% thats over before its even begun. Just take it easy up to that point and you cant go wrong. The decent down from there is interesting though!
    If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got....
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Not doing this year, going to nip round the medium route on the Saturday before just for fun, as I practically live on the route.

This is probably a good one to start doing sportives on, after the first 30 or so miles it's rather easy rolling countryside type stuff*. I found the main problem with the killer mile was avoiding all the other people weaving / falling off/ going at slower than walking speed.

*Hang on, just realised I did the medium not 100 miler last year, so feel free to ignore me on this :)
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I thought about doing it, then decided the petrol money and entry fee wasn't worth it, then an old mate from uni said he was doing it so I thought what the hell and now I'm doing the 100 miler.

Looking forward to it.

I'm the one with the 11Kg cyclocross bike with slicks on :D

Never weighed my bike until today, seems rather heavy compared to what others quote one here.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    No unfortunately, recovering from a shoulder op - did a good time last year, but finally got the repair work sorted from a RTC over two years ago. Think my arm would drop off on Mow Cop - shoulder not strong enough yet for out of the saddle grinds. Have fun, weather is looking to be cracking !
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    Ill be there with a friend, should be a big field of riders 3000+ people.

Just hope it stays dry, think the weather is set to go a colder by Sat. 12deg ish

What are people wearing for the ride? not sure if I need my bib tights and winter jacket or not...
  • R8JimBob88
    I'm undecided on what to wear too. It'll be cold in the morning I reckon but nice for the rest of the day. I think I'm going for shorts, t-shirt and windproof jersey.
  • DamonC
    DamonC Posts: 263
    At 12C depending on wind levels will be SS jersey, arm warmers early on and a paclight LS waterproof. If its marginal will go with a LS jersey. No longs at anything like that temp for me.
    Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.
  • I've just got back from a training ride.
    I'll be wearing the same stuff i've had on today (washed of course)
    Long sleeve top and lightish weight long bib tights, no shorts of freedom/hope for me just yet :shock:
  • JD_76
    Hmm, on the ride to work today at 10am I had on summer bib shorts, short sleve jersey, windproof gillet + arm warmers and it was perfect.

If its colder on Sun I might be tempted with the same but + my winter bib tights or do I buy some leg warmers??
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    I'll be going with an Astana Team kit - shorts and t-shirt :)
  • R8JimBob88
    Down jacket and balaclava.
  • adydow
    adydow Posts: 92
    I can't do it entry available 30quid I'm in North Wales though, email me if you want my entry adydowatskydotcom
    Of course its about the bike! Although having the legs helps.
  • Papapete
    Papapete Posts: 133
    JD_76 wrote:
    Ill be there with a friend, should be a big field of riders 3000+ people.

Be prepared to wait 45 mins to an hour to set off if your not there early!
  • I'm doing the 100 miler. I think I'll be in bibshorts and either a ss jersey with a ls base layer underneath or just the ss jersey.

One thing I am a bit concerned about is people swerving all over the place going up Mow Cop. There's this one video on youtube from a guy with a helmet cam and as he's going up, right in front of him some tw@t goes across the road at a 90 degree angle.

That is the most challenging part of the course and to not make it up because you weren't strong enough is one thing but to not make it to the top because some idiot swerved in front of you or clipped your front/back wheel would just be really frustrating.
  • JD_76
    I'm doing the 100 miler. I think I'll be in bibshorts and either a ss jersey with a ls base layer underneath or just the ss jersey.

One thing I am a bit concerned about is people swerving all over the place going up Mow Cop. There's this one video on youtube from a guy with a helmet cam and as he's going up, right in front of him some tw@t goes across the road at a 90 degree angle.

That is the most challenging part of the course and to not make it up because you weren't strong enough is one thing but to not make it to the top because some idiot swerved in front of you or clipped your front/back wheel would just be really frustrating.

Lots of people use the whole width of the road to get up, it depends what gearing your running double or compact.

Its much colder tonight so am thinking arm and leg warmers will be a must if it stays cooler. Will judge tomorrow and see.
  • R8JimBob88
    You will just have to try and get yourself into a decent position on mowcop and try and get a clean run at it. I'm on a compact 11-28 and a bike that's 3kg's lighter than the last one I did it on so shouldn't be a problem.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Getting a good position easier said than done, because its so early on and there's no sort of hill before it, everyone ends up hitting it at the same time.
    It's still in-between type weather for me by the way, I'm doing it tomorrow with arm warmers a gillet and probably leg or knee warmers, depending on what time I get up.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Yep down to do the 100. Have a good'un everyone and be safe.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    I am down for the 100.

Got a new bike today - lighter and with a compact - question is do I break it in at the Cat or use the old bike that I used to????
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I'll be riding around the 100 mile route Assuming my legs still work after the 25 mile TT I'm doing on Saturday.
  • R8JimBob88
    mr_poll wrote:
    I am down for the 100.

Got a new bike today - lighter and with a compact - question is do I break it in at the Cat or use the old bike that I used to????

Same here! I've only done 60 miles on it so far
  • mr_poll
    So Jim are you going for it with the new one?
  • R8JimBob88
    Yep, I did a 45 miler on Tuesday on it and was pretty comfortable. Just a sore arse when I got back on the old bike with a different saddle. The bars are an inch or so lower too but this wasn't a huge problem.

So I'll be the one with a sore arse and a bad neck on Sunday.... :?
  • mr_poll
    What have you bought?
  • R8JimBob88
    I have bought a Ribble New Sportive with RS80's. Usually ride a Specialized Allez
  • adydow
    adydow Posts: 92
    adydow wrote:
    I can't do it entry available 30quid I'm in North Wales though, email me if you want my entry adydowatskydotcom

Entry Sold.
    Of course its about the bike! Although having the legs helps.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    All the signs are up. One of the feed stations (Holmes Chapel Comprehensive School) is about 50 yards from my house. I may have a bimble over!
  • macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    I'm doing the 100. Soon to bed!
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon