Raid Pyranean

Hi!
A friend and I have booked to ride the Raid in June.
I have been getting the base miles in over the winter and introduced an interval session back in January. I'm currently doing this:
Monday: rest
Tuesday: Intervals
Wed: 1-2 hrs on the road
Thursday: Light spin
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 4/5 hrs on the road
Sunday: 1 hr road/turbo

Does sound that sound about right?- not sure I could add any more due to work and voluntary commitments. Any advice greatly received.

Thanks, Helen.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    You don't state what intensity any of your sessions are. For instance, what intervals are you doing (duration / intensity)?

For best effect you ideally what your training to be progressive week-on-week, by either gradually increasing duration or intensity and then ease off 1-2 weeks before your target event.
  • Sorry the intervals are done at Level 3 (85% of my max hr)
    It has been a progressive session
    7x1 min with 1 min rest
    7x2mins with 2 min rest
    7x3mins with 3 mins rest
    7x4 with 4 mins rest
    Then I've been reducing the rest by 30 secs - culminating in 7x4mins with no rest.

The 1 hr road sessions are L2 and the long road ride is L1/L2 unless I hit climbs - when I push L3.

The long road ride has been increased gradually and I'm now doing the odd sportif.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Ok, so it sounds like your training has been pretty progressive so far to reach the level of training you are doing now. It also sounds like you've reached the maximum amount of time available per week in which to train. The question is presumably therefore "do I need to do any more than this or anything different?".

Obviously the Raid is non-competitive, although you've got a time limit to meet - it's more a case of preparing yourself to ride multiple long climbs per day, for 4 days straight.

A few things that occur to me:
    1) maybe swap the Sat/Sun rides so you do the higher intensity stuff on Sat and L2 ride on Sunday - this leaves you fresh enough to do the higher intensity work on Sat rather than it being a recovery ride the day after your long ride of the week
    2) Do you really need Thurs as a recovery ride followed by Friday off?
    3) Sounds like you are ready to increase the intensity and/or duration of the intervals - solid sessions of 45-90 mins (or split as 20-30 minute intervals with 5 mins recovery) at L3 (HR 80-85% of max) are a great way to prepare for the long climbs you'll be doing. Not sure you need to do anything more intense than L3 for this event, but if time is tight, maybe substitute L3 for 2x20 L4 (HR 85-90% max) or similar.

You might end up with something like this:
    Tuesday: 45-90 mins L3 (turbo or road)
    Wed: 1-2 hrs L2 (road)
    Thursday: 1-2 hrs L2 (road)
    Saturday: 45-90 mins L3 (turbo or road)
    Sunday: 4-5 hrs L2 road
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,867
    Get out on the bike as much as you can, and mix up the riding.

Utimately, the goal is mountains, and that means long hour plus flat out efforts, so when you fancy it, do those more often.

All this interval zone stuff can get in the way of enjoying the bike - the more you enjoy it, the more hours you spend on the bike which is ultimately going to benefit in one way or another. Mixing it up keeps it fun.
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    Hi!
    A friend and I have booked to ride the Raid in June.
    I have been getting the base miles in over the winter and introduced an interval session back in January. I'm currently doing this:
    Tuesday: Intervals
    Wed: 1-2 hrs on the road
    Thursday: Light spin
    Saturday: 4/5 hrs on the road
    Sunday: 1 hr road/turbo

Does sound that sound about right?- not sure I could add any more due to work and voluntary commitments. Any advice greatly received.

Thanks, Helen.

i'm doing this in june.a typicall week at the mo is

mon 30-60mins recovery
    tues 90 mins zone 3
    wed rest
    thurs 90 mins z3 or race/TT
    fri 2-3 hrs z2
    sat-rest
    sun 3-5hrs hilly

I'd drop the intervals on tuesday for sure.
  • Thanks - lots to digest. I thnk I'll rejig my programme.

Cheers all...