Roadies Vs. THE WORLD

Yellow Dave
Yellow Dave Posts: 13
edited September 2011 in Campaign
What is wrong with you all??? You're not the only ones on the road!!! I have been a cyclist for only 15 years but I'm getting more and more fed up with the attitude of some of them.

In honesty I know it's not all of you, and more often than not the individual or couple cycling isn't a problem. But the larger of the groups are going to start getting a riding crop across the back of the head, a horse or my bike blocking the road unless they show some road etiqutte. It doesn't cost to show some basic manners and be polite.

I ride both on and off road, as well as horses around the Chelmsford area. I come across horses, other MTB and road cyclists and am always pleased to see others out enjoying a healthy lifestyle. BUT I am sick to the back teeth of riders that do not make themselves aware, acknowledge you, give you any room or show any signs of slowing down just a little. On one occassion you spooked my mother in law and her horse, resulting in an accident and an ambulance needing to be called. I can't tell you how annoyed I am when my partner comes home today saying she saw more cyclist that flew straight past without notice or acknowledegement

Road riders are by far the worst for this.

I have a few request to all MTBers and road riders.
Please be poilet and make yourself known to whoever you're coming up upon, and if they ask you to slow down a little, please don't be rude and keep on going

Comments

• Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    A fair point well made!

I always find it quite astonishing that people can be so ignorant (except car drivers - nothing they do surprises me that much).

It's a shame that it always seems to be roadies with the worst behaviour :(
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I agree about basic manners and always try to be courteous to other people whatever they are doing.

(Basic manners which would also include horse riders picking up the crap of the horse they are riding rather than leave it all over the road or pathway and creating a dangerous slippy mess! :D)
  • I agree about basic manners and always try to be courteous to other people whatever they are doing.

(Basic manners which would also include horse riders picking up the crap of the horse they are riding rather than leave it all over the road or pathway and creating a dangerous slippy mess! :D)

I completely agree with that! I know not all do, but some of us makke the effort to get the horse onto the verge first
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    I'm just up the road from you in Tiptree, Also have loads of horses on the backroads around here. I always pass them with the widest berth I possibly can (don't want to get kicked or eaten :lol: )

I also always try to make eye contact wth the rider to show I am aware they are potentially in a human game of buckaroo, 95% of the time get a "thanks" which is nice.

I don't understand why some have the belief they have a right to squeeze other road users and that includes cyclists as well as drivers. I try to treat everyone on the road as they are in a car sized box, give people room to swerve if they see a pothole and there is substantially less chance of accidents occuring.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    I've never understood the horse stuff.

If it gets spooked by cars and bikes, why is it on the road?
  • thank you for all your replies, I know plenty of riders do what they can but there are some.

If someone suddenly appears beside you with no warning, ie cylclist at 20 / 30mph not leaving much room passing within a few feet, it would suprise most people. Some even jump in shock. Same with any animal be it horse or other.

Do it to a 1/2 ton horse though and it's a different equation, may also include your own safety not just the horse rider. next time I'm on a spirited drive around the back lanes and see some kind of cyclist, I'll suddenly suprise them and see what reaction I get from them. Will it be much different to what I am trying to express? and ask everyone to kindly show some better road manners?

Your comment pretty much somes up the attitude I seem to have experienced. Surely that's a fairly selfish and ignorant attitude to have to other road users. If you look into it, horses have right of way on the road. I'm not saying horse riders are perfect, far from it if you were to look at everyone. BUT i've seen it done to other cyclists also.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    thank you for all your replies, I know plenty of riders do what they can but there are some.

If someone suddenly appears beside you with no warning, ie cylclist at 20 / 30mph not leaving much room passing within a few feet, it would suprise most people. Some even jump in shock. Same with any animal be it horse or other.

Do it to a 1/2 ton horse though and it's a different equation, may also include your own safety not just the horse rider. next time I'm on a spirited drive around the back lanes and see some kind of cyclist, I'll suddenly suprise them and see what reaction I get from them. Will it be much different to what I am trying to express? and ask everyone to kindly show some better road manners?

Your comment pretty much somes up the attitude I seem to have experienced. Surely that's a fairly selfish and ignorant attitude to have to other road users. If you look into it, horses have right of way on the road. I'm not saying horse riders are perfect, far from it if you were to look at everyone. BUT i've seen it done to other cyclists also.

It's not quite like that though is it?

When passing a horse, it's not good enough to be in the other lane. You've got to slow down an awful lot and creep round it for fear of being charged at by some half -tonne animal that no-one can control.

When I'm on my bike I don't expect/need a car to slow down when passing me - sure if there's oncoming traffic you have to wait, but it's not quite the same. You have to be alll quiet etc Cars can, and do, pass me at 60mph in the other lane which is absolutely fine.

Sure if I jump it's not pleasant, but I've never fallen off when a car surprises me, (rare though that is), and even if a car did, at least it was up to me to do the controlling, not hoping some beast can handle it.

Ultimately I take issue with the idea that the rider is putting their trust a vehicle that literally has its own mind. I don't trust it, and it can't function in normal road conditions - i.e. traffic going past and normal speeds.

It probably is selfish. Then again, it's selfish to sh1t all over the road and think that doing a wave akin to this wave to thank me for not trying to get myself killed by being charged at by some animal that can't control itself.
  • But the larger of the groups are going to start getting a riding crop across the back of the head.

Is this an example of good road etiqette?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Sorry Dave but to me you come ácross as a MTBer having a little pop at road cyclists - you get them every so often - usually accusing roadies of being anti-social or somesuch. From the horseriders I know it's the behaviour of MTBers on bridleways that is more of a problem than road cyclists on the road.

You get inconsiderate people in all groups - including horse riders - I'm thinking of several incidents in road races where riders knew a race was on but knowingly decided to ride on the course anyway and could easily have caused a serious accident through their inability to control their animals. You talk about basic manners but your initial post shows a distinct lack of them imo.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    We all know that there are inconsiderate cyclists and motorists on the road, whether they are on a road bike, a mountain bike or driving whatever the current most hated brand is.

So why would you take a horse that is easily spooked onto the road?

Isn't that asking for trouble?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    Why do people make comments like "horses shouldn't go on the road if they get spooked"? Most country roads were built for horses and / or horse drawn vehicles, horses were using the roads centuries before the bike and motor vehicle were invented so why should people stop riding on roads just because some other modes of transport / leisure activities cause them a hazard. Without riding on the road very few horse riders would be able to access the bridleways and open countryside where they would pretty much all rather be riding.

The OP makes a reasonable point (and one which is discussed fairly regularly on these forums) but I would agree with Tom Butcher that the post title and wording of some of the post does come across more as an MTBer having a go at roadies. My daughter has a horse and rides regularly and I occassionally borrow a horse and go with her. I've had no problems with road cyclists or MTB riders on the roads and very few with motor vehicles. The worst problem are off-road motor bikes (riding on the road) as even when they slow right down they make a lot of noise. We also have had problems with motor bikes and off-roaders on green lanes or unsurfaced public rights of way, the former going too fast and the latter taking up the full width and making passing impossible. We have also had a few experiences of mountain bikers flying down bridleways without slowing down. On the whole most people are considerate but you have a few tools taking part in any activity or using any mode of transport (including horse riders).
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Pross wrote:
    why should people stop riding on roads just because some other modes of transport / leisure activities cause them a hazard.
    So you found the advent of motorised vehicles in the 1880s a nuisance did you? :wink:

And don't forget to have someone walking in front with a red flag...
  • bompington
    On one occassion you spooked my mother in law and her horse
    Errr, it wasn't me
  • Pross
    bompington wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    why should people stop riding on roads just because some other modes of transport / leisure activities cause them a hazard.
    So you found the advent of motorised vehicles in the 1880s a nuisance did you? :wink:

Winking smilie noted but I'm not quite sure what your point is sorry :oops:

My comment was in reply to those who feel people shouldn't ride horses on the road because cars or bikes spook them. People were riding horses centuries before either cars or bikes were invented so surely the impetus is on those using the 'newer' forms of transport to take account of the animal's instincts rather than to say that the animal should not be on the road if these new fangles inventions make them a bit jumpy :? :wink:
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    I've encountered many selfish, aggressive idiots who are driving cars, vans, buses, trucks, riding road bikes or mountain bikes, or who are out running or walking. The people I see round here on horseback tend to be mainly rather nice friendly women!

I don't ride horses, but If I did I'd try and avoid busy roads for obvious reasons. Quiet country roads though - how do you expect horse riders to get from one bridleway to another without occasionally using the road?

All we need is patience, common sense and courtesy, then we'll get along and be safe. It isn't difficult.

And to the rider of the horse whose equine anus I tried to insert my head into - I'm sorry; I was enjoying my descent a bit too much and wasn't anticipating you to be just round that blind bend! And thank you horsey for not kicking me back up the road ... ;)
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    ColinJ wrote:
    I've encountered many selfish, aggressive idiots who are driving cars, vans, buses, trucks, riding road bikes or mountain bikes, or who are out running or walking. The people I see round here on horseback tend to be mainly rather nice friendly women!

I don't ride horses, but If I did I'd try and avoid busy roads for obvious reasons. Quiet country roads though - how do you expect horse riders to get from one bridleway to another without occasionally using the road?

All we need is patience, common sense and courtesy, then we'll get along and be safe. It isn't difficult.

And to the rider of the horse whose equine anus I tried to insert my head into - I'm sorry; I was enjoying my descent a bit too much and wasn't anticipating you to be just round that blind bend! And thank you horsey for not kicking me back up the road ... ;)

+ lots.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Then again, it's selfish to sh1t all over the road and think that doing a wave akin to this wave to thank me for not trying to get myself killed by being charged at by some animal that can't control itself.
    I love the fact that you had to go to the DM to get a picture of Hitler! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Isn't that one of Jedward standing behind the Fuhrer ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • bompington
    Pross wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Winking smilie noted but I'm not quite sure what your point is sorry :oops:

My comment was in reply to those who feel people shouldn't ride horses on the road because cars or bikes spook them. People were riding horses centuries before either cars or bikes were invented so surely the impetus is on those using the 'newer' forms of transport to take account of the animal's instincts rather than to say that the animal should not be on the road if these new fangles inventions make them a bit jumpy :? :wink:
    The point was - your post read like you personally had enjoyed riding horses on empty roads for years before cars came along and made it all so difficult. My reply was just another bit of random facetiousness really.

As for taking account of animals' instincts, wouldn't you be letting all the horses run free on the steppes if you did that? :wink::wink:

But seriously, I'd never have made it to adulthood if I'd continued walking across the field that they built the motorway through, surely the impetus was on them to take account of my habits?
  • Pross
    Well I am an old git (apparently my profile pic proves this) so I may well have been riding back then :wink:
  • But the larger of the groups are going to start getting a riding crop across the back of the head.

Out of my whole post, you pick up on that? It's not good etiquette, thats exactly my point. There's only so much you can do before you have to take drastic action to make a notice.

• It's not quite like that though is it?

When passing a horse, it's not good enough to be in the other lane. You've got to slow down an awful lot and creep round it for fear of being charged at by some half -tonne animal that no-one can control.

When I'm on my bike I don't expect/need a car to slow down when passing me - sure if there's oncoming traffic you have to wait, but it's not quite the same. You have to be alll quiet etc Cars can, and do, pass me at 60mph in the other lane which is absolutely fine.

Sure if I jump it's not pleasant, but I've never fallen off when a car surprises me, (rare though that is), and even if a car did, at least it was up to me to do the controlling, not hoping some beast can handle it.

Ultimately I take issue with the idea that the rider is putting their trust a vehicle that literally has its own mind. I don't trust it, and it can't function in normal road conditions - i.e. traffic going past and normal speeds.

It probably is selfish. Then again, it's selfish to sh1t all over the road and think that doing a wave akin to this wave to thank me for not trying to get myself killed by being charged at by some animal that can't control itself.

Hitler? I'm not going to ask for the full interpretation of that.

If you pass on in the other lane, thank you, if you slow down a little, thank you some more, call out and make yourself known before you get to them is pretty appreciated also. BUT some riders simply don't make any effort at all. And it's these people the thread is aimed at.
  • Sorry Dave but to me you come ácross as a MTBer having a little pop at road cyclists - you get them every so often - usually accusing roadies of being anti-social or somesuch. From the horseriders I know it's the behaviour of MTBers on bridleways that is more of a problem than road cyclists on the road.

You get inconsiderate people in all groups - including horse riders - I'm thinking of several incidents in road races where riders knew a race was on but knowingly decided to ride on the course anyway and could easily have caused a serious accident through their inability to control their animals. You talk about basic manners but your initial post shows a distinct lack of them imo.

I am a MTBer, as stated in my first post.
    I am a road rider, as stated in my first post.
    I am a horse rider, as stated in my first post.
    I am also a trials rider, a surfer, a snowboarder, and a keen motorsport enthusiast.
    I enjoy many sports and have been doing ALL for many years. so an MTBer having a pop at road riders I am not, although I have experienced this love for one another 1st hand when on both MTB and road bike. Why the love/hate I don't know. But doing them all gives me a good basis to step back and see all points of view. Yes my first post may have been too aggressive and takes things too far, but I have experienced said riders and the attitude is shocking. I felt this was needed to get their attention.

I again completely agree about rude people in all groups, and trust me I am doing my upmost to change this, hence this thread pleading with road riders, who in my personal experience have been the majority of the culprits. I don't for one second pretend they are the only ones though

With refernce to MTBers on bridalways, I would have agreede with you some years ago. I spent some time going round local stables in Braintree and Chelmsford speaking to horse riders (as me being one) about MTBers and trying to settle this disagreement. Hence now on local trails, horses have right of way, as long as cyclists do this they are happy to share them. Doing this made things soo much better, as they understood MTBers do little harm when using them. So far this is still working. If I see an MTBer not doing this, then I will also voice my oppinion upon them, and have also done so previously
  • Pross, ColinJ, Clanton, thank you for your input. I know and I'm glad that there are people out there that are considerate. And I apologise if my posts have insulted you in any way. But you're attitude is exactly what I am trying to encourage onto all cyclists.
  • I am a confident horse rider, as are the horses we hack out on. and 99% of the time they are sound, but it's an animal at the end of the day and if something suprises them it takes all the riders skill and balance to keep it under control. likewise if something happens to a cyclists, but we don't always recover and not fall off our bikes?

Comments such as 'why are horses on the road then' dissapoints me. In that case why are the over 60 on the road, why are the under 21's on the road. Why is anyone doing anything they enjoy. For the simply reason they can and is a passion to do so.

Can you not see that if everyone gave just a little, everyone would get on much better and there wouldn't be this me Vs' them between each genre.

Out of my whole post, you pick up on that? It's not good etiquette, thats exactly my point. There's only so much you can do before you have to take drastic action to make a notice.

So you agree that threatening cyclists with assault is "not good" but then seek to justify it in your next sentence.I'm confused.

As for the rest of your post-I agree completely.I like horses and their riders seem a pretty decent bunch.I have never had any problems sharing the road with them and long may that continue.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I am a confident horse rider, as are the horses we hack out on. and 99% of the time they are sound, but it's an animal at the end of the day and if something suprises them it takes all the riders skill and balance to keep it under control. likewise if something happens to a cyclists, but we don't always recover and not fall off our bikes?

Comments such as 'why are horses on the road then' dissapoints me. In that case why are the over 60 on the road, why are the under 21's on the road. Why is anyone doing anything they enjoy. For the simply reason they can and is a passion to do so.

Can you not see that if everyone gave just a little, everyone would get on much better and there wouldn't be this me Vs' them between each genre.
    Been riding a bike for over 30 years and I do concur with a previous poster in that if a horse is spooked by the wheels of a bicycle, why is it on the road? Can you trust that horse to be in amongst a club run and other traffic?

I will add i am ALWAYS polite and courteous to horse riders and car drivers and always let the riders know I am passing so as to not spook the horse, but coming back to my original point, the behaviour of the horse in the beginning is the crux surely?
  • I don't trust anything that shits bigger than me therefore i give all creatures of that ilk a wide berth....

Even with beer goggles that so much is a life saver
  • yenrod
    yenrod Posts: 135
    What is wrong with you all??? You're not the only ones on the road!!! I have been a cyclist for only 15 years but I'm getting more and more fed up with the attitude of some of them.

In honesty I know it's not all of you, and more often than not the individual or couple cycling isn't a problem. But the larger of the groups are going to start getting a riding crop across the back of the head, a horse or my bike blocking the road unless they show some road etiqutte. It doesn't cost to show some basic manners and be polite.

I ride both on and off road, as well as horses around the Chelmsford area. I come across horses, other MTB and road cyclists and am always pleased to see others out enjoying a healthy lifestyle. BUT I am sick to the back teeth of riders that do not make themselves aware, acknowledge you, give you any room or show any signs of slowing down just a little. On one occassion you spooked my mother in law and her horse, resulting in an accident and an ambulance needing to be called. I can't tell you how annoyed I am when my partner comes home today saying she saw more cyclist that flew straight past without notice or acknowledegement

Road riders are by far the worst for this.

I have a few request to all MTBers and road riders.
    Please be poilet and make yourself known to whoever you're coming up upon, and if they ask you to slow down a little, please don't be rude and keep on going

Im sorry you suffer from this in your area.

I was cycling along the road & a motorcyclist approached a horse & rider from behind = spooked horse rider gets dis-mounted / thrown (wasnt nice to see) and motorcyclist just rides away - which was a total bloody outrage !

The horse subsequently bolted back to its 'home' down the road...

I asked the rider if it was ok & she said she was...then started after the horse !

This is just ANOTHER example of the disgracefull way road users treat each other...

At the end of the day we're all on the same roads - so why not give way to each other ?????
    [;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
  • Pross
    Did a 24 hour MTB event at the weekend, part of which was held on bridleways. Some of the speeds that people were passing horses was ridiculous, I felt a bit embarassed when I past a horse going the other way (uphill, very slowly!) as it must have ruined their weekend riding having 300 odd MTBers on their route!