Rugby vs soccer (I'm a foreigner) etiquette.

2»

Comments

• Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    rugby is basically for skill-less socially compliant middle class brain dead meatheads playing human dodgems and it doesn't really matter that the referee is there, he just stops things getting too out of hand.

football requires skill and is from the streets where folk tend to not care if they tell you to fark off. however money has ruined the game beyond all recognition.

I agree with that.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Andy wrote:
    rugby is basically for skill-less socially compliant middle class brain dead meatheads playing human dodgems and it doesn't really matter that the referee is there, he just stops things getting too out of hand.

football requires skill and is from the streets where folk tend to not care if they tell you to fark off. however money has ruined the game beyond all recognition.

I agree with that.

that doesn't suprise me in the slightest :lol:
  • Stoowit
    Stoowit Posts: 25
    It's pretty simple really. Most rugby union players play through university, college or a club steeped in history where a code of conduct is understood by all the people concerned and an education of some description is there.

Footballers are taken from as early as 7 years old with the promise of being the next big thing and if they're not then they get turfed out. Not enough coaches spend the time to teach theyre players basic life skills that are found in competitive sport.

It's the same in America. If you play a college sport you have to be successful academically therefore whether you play pro afterwards or not you will have a shot at success in life.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    welshkev wrote:
    Andy wrote:

I agree with that.

that doesn't suprise me in the slightest :

OK
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    mak3m wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    when I was a kid (late sixties/early seventies) before I became a foreigner football hooligans used to scare the crap out of me. (Sunderland was rather rough at the time I seem to remember)

:D lol Roker Park oooo the memories, still got a clockstand seat in my garden :D:D

well sunderland was kind of rough but i still wake in cold sweats about some of my visits to elland road in the late 70's early 80's :shock: :shock:

Roker park yes. I used to walk down with my grandfather. Great memories.
    Half the family live in Sunderland and half in Newcastle. Makes for interesting times twice a season.
    Got to feel sorry for my nephew. My brother is a Sunderland fan, the kids stepfather a Newcastle fan. Kid gets dropped off in a NC strip, which is instantly replaced by a S strip, which he is sent back in, which is instantly replaced with a NC strip etc etc etc.
    Poor little bugger must be going totally schizo.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Whatever you think about the games, the refereeing in rugby is miles ahead of football. TV replays, miked up refs... And the way they handle the players is fantastic sometimes, I heard in one game a while back "I know what you're thinking 8, stop thinking it" :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    The actual end result is this.

Football isn't a sport it's business, and only the top clubs make any money, In football you can not afford to lose and this breads an approach of professional fouls/cheating. Basically pushing the rules as far as you can because the company might struggle if you don't. Football is no longer abount the game and the sportmansship its huge business and the desperation to win reflects all the way down to the player on the feild gobbing off trying to get a chance at a free kick.

Rugby i hate as a game, but i repect it. There is more discapline and respect, But i think you will see this stretch more as money becomes bigger in it and the cost of losing becomes much much higher.
  • montevideoguy
    montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
    Football saddens me these days as it seems to be corrupt on just about every level (from the grass roots players you see diving and harrassing the ref to Sep Blatter and his cronies at the top taking millions to line their pockets while doing nothing good for the game). The scary levels of debt you have at some clubs as well leaves a lot to be desired and the fit and proper persons test the FA have is a joke.

And yet it's still 100 times more enjoyable than rugby.
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Ah yes, the rugby playing gentlemen:
    user756_1157514553.JPG
    Just like Ghandi :wink:

As for the US college sports=educated stuff, doesn't that also mean that thick people who are good at sport get into college? It happens here, two Cambridge students get into a fight. One is thrown out of uni, the other is a good rower so he gets a quiet telling off :wink:

They're both professional sports at the end of the day, some people like one, more people like the other :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    user756_1157514553.JPG

As for the US college sports=educated stuff, doesn't that also mean that thick people who are good at sport get into college? It happens here, two Cambridge students get into a fight. One is thrown out of uni, the other is a good rower so he gets a quiet telling off :wink:

They're both professional sports at the end of the day, some people like one, more people like the other :wink:

That is the argies what did you expect :wink:

as for more people liking football I am not sure you can could descirbe some of them as people the way they behave, I have yet to go to a rugby game where the sole purpose of some of the fans was to hurt the others.

I have never been interested in football beyond my early teens as the game is full of characterless ego types, but what can you expect if all you are told from an early age is that you are great when in actual fact you are a c...
  • montevideoguy
    bails87 wrote:
    user756_1157514553.JPG

as for more people liking football I am not sure you can could descirbe some of them as people the way they behave, I have yet to go to a rugby game where the sole purpose of some of the fans was to hurt the others.

I have never been interested in football beyond my early teens as the game is full of characterless ego types, but what can you expect if all you are told from an early age is that you are great when in actual fact you are a c...

I forgot to mention rugby has the reputation of being a bit elitest. Thanks for reminding me
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Henri Le Conte
    I'm sure the crowds at the Dirty Dancing muscial are friendlier than those at a rugby match, but I'm guessing that doesn't make the musical better than rugby? :wink:

I've been to loads of football matches and have seen crowd trouble, in as much as a dozen or so fans wanting to fight do so. But I've never seen or been involved in a full on riot or anything like that. I've seen fights when I've been in pubs, doesn't mean that sitting at home on my own, crying into a pot noodle is better though!

Also, as a blues fan I was damn proud of the way we played against Arsenal in the Carling Cup final, the fact that so many players were out injured showed how much they gave for that win. None of them are superstars in terms of pay but (for once :roll:) they actually seemed to care. Although it is 'only a job', at the end of the day.

As for players crowding the ref, no , they shouldn't do it. But if the refs don't actually do anything about them, can you blame them for doing it? If you do the decent thing and leave the ref alone then it's just the opposition pressuring him, and which way are the decisions going to go then? They should enforce the rules, and as others have said, after a week or two of every match being abandoned due to lack of players, they'd get the idea. :lol:

Finally...'overpaid'. It's supply and demand. If I could do it I'd take the money, wouldn't everyone else?! :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Rugby has a salary cap to try to stop the rampant cost's spiralling out of controll, that is not to say it is perfect as perks now seem to have gotten out of control.

As for elitism not sure what that has to do with my statement or rugby for that matter having been to both league and union games I have never seen elitism, but I will acknowledge that is not to say it does not exist as I am sure it does in every field of either work social or sport but l personally have never seen it.

Lastly on dirty dancing concert's I have stayed well clear as I hear they have had many issues with handbags at dawn type arguments.
  • montevideoguy

As for elitism not sure what that has to do with my statement or rugby for that matter having been to both league and union games I have never seen elitism, but I will acknowledge that is not to say it does not exist as I am sure it does in every field of either work social or sport but l personally have never seen it.
    Elistism within your sport

Elitism towards other sports
    as for more people liking football I am not sure you can could descirbe some of them as people

That's just in those statements. There is the wider issue of the sport not being availble to certain social classes (which becomes more extreme in certain countries). It's not up there with polo or sailing but it's not too far behind
  • welshkev
    That's just in those statements. There is the wider issue of the sport not being availble to certain social classes (which becomes more extreme in certain countries). It's not up there with polo or sailing but it's not too far behind

are you talking about rugby there?

if you are that's total balls, i come from a council estate where i had a drug dealer and prostitute living on either side of me. i had/have friends who are in prison and i grew up loving rugby and not particulary liking football (even though i played both) i was better at rugby and went onto play at quite a high level. to say that it's not available to certain social classes is balls. :roll:

at the end of the day it's still a ball like a football is that can be picked up and played with the same way. ok, some schools in certain areas don't teach rugby, but surely that's not a class thing? in my school during lunch breaks some of us played rugby, some football and some smoked dope behind the leisure centre, it's all down to personal choice and to a degree exposure to the sport, but a class issue it's not.

oh yeah, and football sucks :wink::lol:
  • montevideoguy
    There is a huge difference between Wales and South Africa or Argentina when it comes to this (not that many folk from the townships or shanty towns getting much opportunity to play it). Even in countries like Canada and the US you won't find many kids playing the sport from poorer areas. My own experience in Scotland has been that only one state school in my region played rugby. The rest were private schools. More recently I've been paying attention to what is happening here in Uruguay. Same thing...if you're not loaded don't even think about trying to take it up. It's similar to golf in that respect. It's a million times easier taking up golf in the UK than it is anywhere else. Perhaps that's a historical thing (and Rugby and Wales go hand in hand) but historical or not, it doesn't mean that rugby isn't elitest in a hell of a lot of countries
  • welshkev
    There is a huge difference between Wales and South Africa or Argentina when it comes to this (not that many folk from the townships or shanty towns getting much opportunity to play it). Even in countries like Canada and the US you won't find many kids playing the sport from poorer areas. My own experience in Scotland has been that only one state school in my region played rugby. The rest were private schools. More recently I've been paying attention to what is happening here in Uruguay. Same thing...if you're not loaded don't even think about trying to take it up. It's similar to golf in that respect. It's a million times easier taking up golf in the UK than it is anywhere else. Perhaps that's a historical thing (and Rugby and Wales go hand in hand) but historical or not, it doesn't mean that rugby isn't elitest in a hell of a lot of countries

ah well, you didn't stipulate different countries :lol: for that i cannot comment, you obviously have seen it first hand so i can't argue :D

and even though wal;es and rugby go hand in hand i wish we were better at it :(:lol:
  • montevideoguy
    welshkev wrote:

ah well, you didn't stipulate different countries :lol: for that i cannot comment, you obviously have seen it first hand so i can't argue :D

and even though wal;es and rugby go hand in hand i wish we were better at it :(:lol:

Better than my mob...Just beating Italy and no one else shouldn't be considered a success
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Rugby, fun..............

3441426386_500a35fbc4.jpg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,718
    welshkev wrote:
    are you talking about rugby there?

if you are that's total balls, i come from a council estate where i had a drug dealer and prostitute living on either side of me. i had/have friends who are in prison and i grew up loving rugby and not particulary liking football (even though i played both) i was better at rugby and went onto play at quite a high level. to say that it's not available to certain social classes is balls. :roll:

oh yeah, and football sucks :wink::lol:
    Apart from the last bit about football being pants I'm with you on this rugby and class business. All you need to play rugby (or football) is a bunch of blokes, a ball and a field with some posts at either end. Not exactly elitist :roll:

That said, Wales doesn't have a middle class so it's a bit tricky for rugby to be elitist over there :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]