Do you spit or swallow?

2»

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    index finger pointed to the sky at head height and head tilted the opposite direction - drafting faires should go finger-side.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I never get anything solid enough for a snot rocket, I usually end up letting a drip dangle and then blowing it off sideways with a sharp puff out the corner of my mouth while angling my head enough so it clears my arm.......as I'm usually in the countryside it goes in the hedge.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    Sketchley wrote:
    I've been having "snot" problems since the start of the year when I increased the cycling to pretty much every day. Seems to be that every few mins I'd have to clear my nose. Tissues just didn't work so after much practice I've now perfected the snot rocket. Only hit one person so far on the commute (now I'm much more careful). Also I was arriving at work / home and coughing like crazy with crap stuck in throat etc.

I saw the doctor last week, he seems to think it's an allergy to something, aggrivated when riding, so he's put me on a nasal spray which he says will take around a week or so to work (watch this space). He thought the two things where related so some "snot" was coming out of nose the rest running down throat causing the coughing. (Sorry if a bit TMI)

Had similar issues Sketchley (tho mine was unrelated to cycling - at least i think so). Got a steriod nasal spray (avamys or something similar, if i recall?) for a month and instructions for daily saltwater nasal 'douching'. Have to say it absolutely did the trick. Not got the spray anymore and only doing the douching every once in a while (twice a week or so?) and its much better.

Dunno if you are doing the douching but, if so, id recommend doing it early in the evening. You would be astonished at the amount of saltwater that can hide up one's nose and only appear at the most unexpected time! 1st night i tried it i was woken at about 2am with water flowing out my nose onto the pillow in a sudden gush! :shock: I had douched at about 9pm! I got so much of a shock there was nearly water flowing out of other orifices too!!!!!
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    ajb72 wrote:
    I have mastered the art of the 'underarm' snot rocket to avoid a shower of mucus over the shoulder of my jersey! Very pro I'm sure!!
    This. Head down slightly and fire. You've got to be going fast enough so that the wind pushes it away from your body. That and time your legs right so that you don't cover yourself with it :evil: Less of a deterrent to the drafting fairies though as it doesn't go "backwards" anywhere near as far.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Is this on the first date or the second?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    nich wrote:
    Usually snot rocket, but 50% of the time it will end up on my shoulder :?
    The only time I've ever done snot rockets was during the bike leg of my first Olympic distance triathlon. It was a cold, wet, July day and I'd had a stinking cold for the whole of the week before. I kept doing snot rockets to try and keep my nostrils clear, and finished the bike leg with a big glob of snot on each shoulder :shock:
  • graeme_s-2
    In general I neither spit, nor snot rocket. At worst I wipe my nose on the towelling bit of my mitt.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I wipe my nose on the towelling bit of my mitt.
    That is just disgusting!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    Graeme_S wrote:
    That is just disgusting!

Simon

Why do you think it's there?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    King Donut wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    That is just disgusting!

Simon

Why do you think it's there?

According to the manuacturers it's for sweat, but everyone knows it's for snot.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • graeme_s-2
    Asprilla wrote:
    What good is it for sweat!? Your helmet covers your brow anyway.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    What good is it for sweat!? Your helmet covers your brow anyway.

Exactly, unless you have a particularly sweaty chin or cheeks.....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX