Do you spit or swallow?

badgerman26
badgerman26 Posts: 125
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
I was saying to my wife how disgusting it was when saw some chavs spit on the pavement. Then I realised that I did on my rides. On my 12m commute i do get lots of phlegm in the morning cold and so spit into the gutter. Is that OK?

Am I a chav?

Comments

• I was saying to my wife how disgusting it was when saw some chavs spit on the pavement. Then I realised that I did on my rides. On my 12m commute i do get lots of phlegm in the morning cold and so spit into the gutter. Is that OK?

Am I a chav?

If you're cycling on the pavement, yes.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Damn, wrong bloody forum again...

*DD toddles off back to the more "appropriate" one*

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    spit in the road.

You can also try "snot rocket" although i wimp out and have a couple of tissues.

snot%2Brocket.gif
    FCN 3/5/9
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    ^ +1 i do both but generally only need to on the colder rides when i get bunged up. Though it also depends whose about as i'd rather not do it and hit somebody accidentally :oops:
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    ha - great thread.

I must confess to being too scared to attempt the snot rocket. I think it stems for once at work where I blew my nose and checked the paper tissue (we ALL do it!) only to find a large hole in it that some particularly meaty little blighter must have made. Try as i might, i couldn't find said meaty little blighter anywhere. MUUUUCH later, I found him, hiding on the FRONT of my collar. All day he'd been quietly introducing himself to my workmates!

Therefore, I'm strictly a 'suck it up and spit it out' kinda guy when on my rides!
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    I make sure me nostrils are nice and clear before an early morning commute. I'm a foghorn man and wake up the wife and startle my 14 month old with my epic call songs in the morning.

Regarding the cycle, I just spit into the road on most cold runs. I do honestly find it quite difficult to breath when the air is so sharp. But on the other hand, I treat each commute like a race, probably because I wear shorts most of the time and I'm bloody freezing for the first mile or two and want to get warmed up!

Rooney is apparently a chav/pro and he's always spitting ;)
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • I tried a snot rocket once....gave myself a nose bleed!
    Orange 5 SE
    Santa Cruz Nomad
    Orange 5 Diva
    Boardman Team Carbon
    Bianchi She
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Spitting, filthy habbit, done by what I consider to be dirty people, and footballers, say no more.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    Spitting, filthy habbit, done by what I consider to be dirty people, and footballers, say no more.

Do you swallow?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Usually snot rocket, but 50% of the time it will end up on my shoulder :?
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    Spit
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    No spitting that's far to common, however the snot rocket has a nasty habit of staying attached and covering either the shoulder of whole side of ones face added to which once you start it seems to trigger a never ending stream.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I have mastered the art of the 'underarm' snot rocket to avoid a shower of mucus over the shoulder of my jersey! Very pro I'm sure!!
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    Better out than in.

Dig deep and when you're on a quiet stretch, fire. Aim for the road side rather than pavement.

PS - look out for cyclists behind you. I nearly got a tailgater once. Would have served him right for drafting me though.
  • Moodyman
    Better out than in.

Dig deep and when you're on a quiet stretch, fire. Aim for the road side rather than pavement.

PS - look out for cyclists behind you. I nearly got a tailgater once. Would have served him right for drafting me though.
  • Moodyman
    Better out than in.

• Moodyman
    Better out than in.

• Moodyman
    The website went a little doo-lally and posted multiple posts
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Generally don't need to do either. Always suprises me how much spitting goes on when I'm on a Sportive!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    After giving myself a nose bleed a few weeks ago whilst pushing a little too hard on the toilet I am using the 'spit' technique for fear of giving myslef a brain haemorage...
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    fenboy369 wrote:
    After giving myself a nose bleed a few weeks ago whilst pushing a little too hard on the toilet I am using the 'spit' technique for fear of giving myslef a brain haemorage...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Eat More Fibre
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    .......Oh and whilst we're at it, I have to concur with Jeremy Rundle (for the first time ever).
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Yeah, I don't spit. It's a bit minging and I don't really like doing it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    The only times I've tried to (bug strike) its made a mess... I find it a bit unnecessary. And as for snot rockets, I have no idea how that would even work. Am I alone in having mucus thats too runny to be able to fire out my nostrils in nice little discrete pellets?!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Blowing my nose on the bike means I get a string of snot from my shoulder to my face.

Not ideal.

I don't spit. Never found it achieves anything worth the effort.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    a carefully aimed snot rocket is an excellent way of ridding yourself of an unwanted drafting fairy
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,434
    Never spit but regularly use the snot rocket. Have to be careful in bunch races and club runs though or you find you aren't popular. It needs to come out somehow though.
  • 52Teeth
    52Teeth Posts: 67
    My best ever snot rocket hit my buddy's thigh 5 miles into a 75 mile ride.
    He's so hard he just smiled and left it to dry into his leg hair.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I've been having "snot" problems since the start of the year when I increased the cycling to pretty much every day. Seems to be that every few mins I'd have to clear my nose. Tissues just didn't work so after much practice I've now perfected the snot rocket. Only hit one person so far on the commute (now I'm much more careful). Also I was arriving at work / home and coughing like crazy with crap stuck in throat etc.

I saw the doctor last week, he seems to think it's an allergy to something, aggrivated when riding, so he's put me on a nasal spray which he says will take around a week or so to work (watch this space). He thought the two things where related so some "snot" was coming out of nose the rest running down throat causing the coughing. (Sorry if a bit TMI)
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    is there a standard hand signal for unleashing the green?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14