Athletic Hypertrophy

Road Red
Road Red Posts: 232
Despite the name this is not an award for winning a race, more to do with an enlargement of the left ventricle apparently which can be as a result of a lot of training. Anyone here ever get diagnosed with the above?

One of the solutions is a reduction in training/workload. Dont fancy that!

Anyone experience of this? I have an appointment with the medics to check it out.

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've heard of it. About a year or so ago I experienced sometimes rapid and heavy heart beat whilst sat at work which worried me. Did a bit of Googling and this came up. Went to an NHS walk in centre and my GP and both said that my heart sounded fine. I haven't experienced it for a while now....

Looking at might Wiki, it doesn't sounds like much to worry about! It says there are no symptoms apart from possible irregular heartbeat at rest and no treatments is required
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_heart_syndrome

What are your symptoms?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Can be a problem with athletes who started very young (preadolescence) iirc, but don't think it's anything to worry over.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • snowley
    snowley Posts: 149
    I dont think its anything to worry about, its just a result of a lot of cardiac work.

I think it can also be known as cardiac hypertrophy which I studied for a little while, and as stated above its enlargement of the heart as, after all, it is a muscle and when worked it tears, and grows larger.

I think its a common problem with a lot of athletes etc.
  • well we are all going to die - best to do so because of being fit than being unhealthy.....!
  • 3leggeddog
    3leggeddog Posts: 150
    Rest and release your inner fatbloke. A friend had/has this, he is an ex olympian, lived to train. Now has his own internal defrib fitted and has suffered a stroke from increased bp associated with the complaint. All in his 30's.

Take up fishing, darts, bowls or something, enjoy pies, beers and lie ins.