won a bike but got it yet! what to do

2»

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Still rubbish though. If you win something you should get it within a reasonable time.
    As a very impatient person I'd be getting stressed after a few hours.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    It's worth leaving it for a bit longer, and if after you've waited and chased it up again, it maybe worth having a chat with the citizen's advice bureau regarding your legal standing (and whether you even have one!)
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Typical modern train of thought.I didn't get it exactly when I want it, so i'm really pissed off.

Did they say you arn't getting it? No.

Did they specify a delivery date, and guarantee delivery on that date? My guess is no, so you have reason to be complaining.

And taking the time to fill in a form means absolutely nothing. It takes very little time or effort into that. You wouldn't be complaining about having taken the time to "invest in filling the form in" if you had lost, so it is irrelevant now.
    So it was me who won the prize now was it???

"Typical modern train of thought" How old are you... :roll:

The shop/supplier put a prize on offer for a competition, it is extremely bad form not to come through with it, end of story.

You sound like somebody who is happy to let others down, is that why you think this is ok?
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    If you paid for a ticket look up Lotteries and Amusements Act 1976 if not then it wil be the terms of the compettion that you need to look at. Find out excalty what the situation is an request this in writing, if they refuse to to this name and shame them, as the compettion will have been a publicity tool so not honouring this deserves the bad publicity.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • PaulBox wrote:
    Typical modern train of thought.I didn't get it exactly when I want it, so i'm really pissed off.

Did they say you arn't getting it? No.

Did they specify a delivery date, and guarantee delivery on that date? My guess is no, so you have reason to be complaining.

And taking the time to fill in a form means absolutely nothing. It takes very little time or effort into that. You wouldn't be complaining about having taken the time to "invest in filling the form in" if you had lost, so it is irrelevant now.
    So it was me who won the prize now was it???

"Typical modern train of thought" How old are you... :roll:

The shop/supplier put a prize on offer for a competition, it is extremely bad form not to come through with it, end of story.

You sound like somebody who is happy to let others down, is that why you think this is ok?

LOL. That is all I have to say.

Have they definitely not come through with their prize? No. They are just taking their time, like everything else in the world, especially when it deals with something they are offering for FREE.

And for future reference, there is a difference between letting someone down (in this case by not stating they are not supplying it) and by taking their time. At the end of the day, if they did not specify an exact date of delivery, noone has been let down.
  • Phillw454
    Phillw454 Posts: 101
    The OP did say the bike was due in feb according to the competition. So to some extent he has been let down as It is now nearly the end of march.

I think if we look forward to something big and it ends up late be it free or not we all feel let down to some extent (especially if he has won the competition and has been looking foward to it for a good few weeks) and considering the guy has only asked for advice on how to follow it up I think some of the replies here have been un-called for.
  • paulbox
    LOL. That is all I have to say.
    Make your mind up... :roll:

It doesn't matter that it was a prize and therefore "free", it is about doing the right thing, doing things properly and not letting people down.

I've got a really weird feeling that you're a customer services consultant or a call centre guru or something... :idea:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Guess if MM won the lottery but never got the money, he'd be happy anyway because it was 'free' (well almost free) money.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DirtMonkee
    DirtMonkee Posts: 373
    Read the competition terms and conditions. What sort of competition was it? Pie eating? egg and spoon race? Press ups? They will all have T&C's

For exampe, the promotor may hold the right to offer you a different prize than originally advertised to an equal or greater value...like a years supply of post it notes to the value of the bike in question.

They should have also stated a period of when the bike should be delivered but I'm guessing small print will say something along the lines of "this cannot be guaranteed" etc etc etc

Surely the shop would have told you who the promotor/supplier if the shop were not responsible. They would want you off their back and pass you on to the people responsible so who is it? You arent exactly naming names. None of what you are discussing in a forum will be against the rules of a competition. So spill the beans and we could probably help more.

All seems a bit strange to me.
    Elmo is my dad
  • DirtMonkee
    DirtMonkee Posts: 373
    I retract my last statement actually. It might not actually be allowed to talk about a competition without the promotors permission. Only they can advise on that. Sorry.
    Elmo is my dad
  • paulbox
    cooldad wrote:
    Guess if MM won the lottery but never got the money, he'd be happy anyway because it was 'free' (well almost free) money.
    Exactly!
  • Obviously I won't wait years for something to be given to me, but a few weeks after is no problem. As far as this bike is concerned, it's been a relatively short time frame to be saying he is not getting it.

My whole point is, people are dealing with a business. Yes they quoted a delivery time for during february, but there are tons of factors to take into account about that, which one of those factors has pushed the time back.

At the end of the day, complaining about something that is only a few weeks late publicly is not the best option. If it was November of this year, yes I could understand the moaning, but give it a few more weeks before saying you're being mugged off. It's not like you've been waiting years without hearing anything, or have been told you're not getting it.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Obviously I won't wait years for something to be given to me, but a few weeks after is no problem. As far as this bike is concerned, it's been a relatively short time frame to be saying he is not getting it.

My whole point is, people are dealing with a business. Yes they quoted a delivery time for during february, but there are tons of factors to take into account about that, which one of those factors has pushed the time back.

At the end of the day, complaining about something that is only a few weeks late publicly is not the best option. If it was November of this year, yes I could understand the moaning, but give it a few more weeks before saying you're being mugged off. It's not like you've been waiting years without hearing anything, or have been told you're not getting it.

Fully agree - and the tone of the OP suggests he has done little to help himself. It's amazing how often people forget that they are dealing with human beings and that a little bit of courtesy and pleasantry goes a long way to getting a result.

All this bullsh*t of "I'm the consumer" is no excuse for not being nice to someone. No it is NOT your right to kick up a fuss and be a dick.

I'd suggest there are a number of potential factors here - not least being that a large amount of far eastern manufacturing facilities are currently behind schedule, affecting several bike manufacturers' delivery timescales. Obviously their first priority will be to clients who have paid for or put down deposits on whole bikes, then to aftermarket upgrade clients, then to competition winners.

Try going back to the shop, asking NICELY for an update or information on who the promoter of the competition is and if the store can help you in progressing the prize coming through. Works a whole bunch better than the approach that seems to be going on at the moment.

:D
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    I have to admit that I'd be pacing the floor like a caged animal if it was me, but I am pretty impatient.

I hope they honour the deal, and the OP gets the prize...eventually.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super