won a bike but got it yet! what to do

chrisski
chrisski Posts: 79
edited March 2011 in MTB general
hi i need some advice of where i stand! I found out in November that I had a won a downhill bike in a competition I entered at fort bill last June and would receive it in Feb this year!

As yet i havent received it and not really sure the shop are doing what they can as seem to blame the suppliers now! isnt geiving the shop a good rep anyway now!

any ideas of what i should do or can do?

thanks!

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Well you're going to have to elaborate more than that. Without falling into libel, who is the supplier and the competition organiser?
  • chrisski
    libel how? i work in retail and know when im getting bad service
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i think you have missed something from the topic heading.

maybe the bike is not even in the UK.

what do the organisers say? as it is them you should be talking to not us.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,090
    Only a couple of weeks past feb, so don't name and shame yet - give them another chance first
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    matthew h wrote:
    Only a couple of weeks past feb, so don't name and shame yet - give them another chance first

Considering you wont be paying a penny for it I think you should stop whining...
  • chrisski
    well i was asking if anyone had any suggestions what to do. shop has one of them in stock but say its coming from the suppliers, so how can they not provide the bike if they have it in stock in shop.
    we run competitions at my business and when a client wins something we are required to provide it when we inform the winner.

just thought here would be a good idea to ask what my next step would be.
  • whats the bike then? as mentioned, there may well be limited stock...
  • chrisski
    not gonna name any names yet as I said won it and not a paying customer! am giving them chances. just find it weird that the shop I get it when in stock and when it does come in stock i dont get it and then they say its the suppliers providing it when they werent mentioned at any other previous stage!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    chrisski wrote:
    so how can they not provide the bike if they have it in stock in shop.

quite easily. the bike being offered could well be being supplied by the importers or the makers and not from the shop.

the one in the shop means nothing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Who organised the competition though? The shop or someone else who organised the event?

Coz you need to chase it with the person who was behind the competition.
  • IIm with others on this. If the suplliers are the ones providing the bike, but are being pain the arse to deal with, it is the suppliers fault, not the shop.

Similarly, if a bike of the same model is in the shop, that means they have paid for it, or must pay for it once it gets sold. If they were not the ones running the competition, then it is not their responsibilty to offer the bike. You need to contact the supplier/competition organising body.
  • i know when i was there last year watching the world alpine bikes had a competition there for a saracen myst
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    I was going to add that since the competition the LBS's at Fort Bill have been brought out, i read it somewhere recently, not sure if that causes a problem, but it may well do.
  • bennett_346
    So what exactly do you want us to do?
  • chrisski
    Who organised the competition though? The shop or someone else who organised the event?

as far as i know it was the shop!

as for other posters i wasnt asking for you to do anything just for advice
  • bennett_346
    Here's my advice then, phone up the shop and say "hoy bitches wheres me bike?", should do the trick.
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    If its a Myst, suppliers only have Larges in stock.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Briggo wrote:
    Considering you wont be paying a penny for it I think you should stop whining...
    Really? If you had won a competition you'd be happy to be mugged off for a few months while they sort out your prize??? Mental... :?
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    chrisski wrote:
    Who organised the competition though? The shop or someone else who organised the event?

My advise would be to learn better grammar, make your posts cohesive and clear. Get the facts right, and who organised competition, who is suppling prize and what exactly is it.

I am sure you have paperwork, and details somewhere.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    Bloke here at work won a flat in a new development close to Brick Lane in London, I think he paid £100 for the ticket. The story made a brief entry in the Evening Standard and I think one of the national papers. The developer changed his prize from a 2 bedroom to a studio flat, which he refused, and the legal wrangling is still going on three years later.

You may never get your bike but it's early days yet.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    chrisski wrote:

My advise would be to learn better grammar, make your posts cohesive and clear. Get the facts right, and who organised competition, who is suppling prize and what exactly is it.

I am sure you have paperwork, and details somewhere.

I thought this was a bicycle forum not an English grammar forum.

I can't help with the answer, but i don't see the point in being a muppet about it.
  • jon87uk
    jon87uk Posts: 158
    Basically you need to try and find the terms and conditions for the prize entry, if you don't have them then you probably need to just be patient. You can maybe try and contact the shop and ask them where you stand.

If the bike is being supplied by the store then yes, you can hound them a little to get it to you but that might not make you very popular. If they are supplying it and are paying the cost then the chasing is theirs to deal with and they should try and get you it as soon as possible.

If the bike is being supplied by their suppliers, i.e. the suppliers have paid for it and not the shop, then you will need to wait until they have to bike to supply you. Arguing with the shop will not help you in the slightest. Talking to them and trying to get to the route of the problem is probably a better solution. If they are having stock issues they might be able to talk to the suppliers and find an alternative prize of equivalent value (this is a maybe).
    Current - Cotic BFe - Pike RC - XT - Hope Arch EX
    Previous - 09 Marin Wolfridge 6.7 - 03 Kona Roast
  • Briggo
    PaulBox wrote:
    Briggo wrote:
    Really? If you had won a competition you'd be happy to be mugged off for a few months while they sort out your prize??? Mental... :?

Nothing mental about it, I'd be thankful I won and will get it soon™

:wink:
  • Being mugged off happens when you have invested something in any form of transaction.

If you get it for free, quit the whining and wait patiently. Or if it is too hard to wait, i'll take over the prize and chase it up myself!
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    This is a funny old thread, grammar lessons and now definitions of what "mugged off" means... :?

Just to state a fact, by taking the time to enter a competition you have INVESTED your time as a bare minimum. You have also probably given all forms of contact details away and signed up for the organisers to sell them on to whoever they so wish.

I couldn't give a monkeys whether I'd paid for something or won it, the shop/supplier shouldn't have put it up as a prize if they couldn't guarantee that it was available, end of story.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Dobbs
    Dobbs Posts: 186
    My advise would be to learn better grammar,
    LOL.
    Your advise?
    Do you mean your advice?
    Pedantry FAIL
  • I waited a few months to pick up my MBUK Zaskar.... and that was a bike that they built!
  • Briggo
    PaulBox wrote:
    Just to state a fact, by taking the time to enter a competition you have INVESTED your time as a bare minimum. You have also probably given all forms of contact details away and signed up for the organisers to sell them on to whoever they so wish.

I couldn't give a monkeys whether I'd paid for something or won it, the shop/supplier shouldn't have put it up as a prize if they couldn't guarantee that it was available, end of story.

smallest-violin.jpg
  • PaulBox wrote:
    This is a funny old thread, grammar lessons and now definitions of what "mugged off" means... :?

Typical modern train of thought.I didn't get it exactly when I want it, so i'm really pissed off.

Did they say you arn't getting it? No.

Did they specify a delivery date, and guarantee delivery on that date? My guess is no, so you have reason to be complaining.

And taking the time to fill in a form means absolutely nothing. It takes very little time or effort into that. You wouldn't be complaining about having taken the time to "invest in filling the form in" if you had lost, so it is irrelevant now.
  • you getting the bike for free, correct, ie no postage charges or terms +conditions ect that were in tiny tiny writing?

Bassically did you pay for a ticket to enter the prize draw if so then it a differant story but itf it was a free ticket system then there isnt much you can do.

paying for a ticket actually is a totally differant area so it depends if you payed for ticket or not
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners