Training book recommendation?

springtide9
springtide9 Posts: 1,731
Just wanting to put a bit more science into my training and also understand what is meant by L4 20/20 sessions etc.

Any good books out there? I'm 41 so not planning on trying to be the next Lance, but I'm sure a little bit of education would be helpful.
Looking to put a bit more structure into place to help make a bit more progress; as feel I have reached a bit of a plateau.
Simon

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Smart cycling by Arnie Baker is fairly sound advice and a good easy start. Or Friels bible which many find useful. Lances 7 week plan is ok for beginners too, perhaps perhaps not what you're after.
  • cush123
    cush123 Posts: 75
    I started on Joe Friel's Cyclists Training Bible this year and have found it excellent so far.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Fantastic! Thanks for the reply. Most of my cycling is on my own (due to family commitments), so don't often get to talk about training techniques with other riders etc - so

There is a lot of information on these forums which I obviously read, but my knowledge is full of holes and assumptions that I'd obviously like to fill.

A quick 'google' and read of the reviews on Amazon and it appears the first two might be right up my street. An Ebaytastic search has got me both books for £10 delivered! :)

Thanks again... and a little bit more night time reading.
    Simon
  • Cannon71
    Cannon71 Posts: 92
    +1 for Joe Friel's Cyclist Bible.

I thought it was so good, I got his Triathlete's Bible too. (Once I'm over my tri fix this summer, I'll be back on the Cyclists Bible!)

I was in the same position... was getting bored doing some of my training rides. When you follow a plan that's backed up by science/knowledge, it makes training/riding all that more interesting.

(Still not getting any faster though...! Nah, I'm kidding, still in the preliminary phases of my training for the summer, so not expecting huge gains.)