Real Peloton...

2»

Comments

• andyxm wrote:
    It is the best cycling podcast I have heard by a mile, but they seem amused by their own amateurish a little too much, I know it is free but some of the podcasts when Matt was in Colombia were impossible to listen to.

In terms of presentation James Richardson on the Guardian Football podcast is about the best, I think they could learn a lot from him.

Football weekly really is excellent.

Even if James gets stick for doing the Tour on Eurosport from time to time.

What it has to its advantage is a) a proper recording studio b) a full time producer and c) proper journalists.

Football Weekly is one of my favourites, along with Real Peloton
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    There does seem to be a shortage of these things. No radio station is going to do cycling but an hour of week of "professional" podcast would be good. The trouble seems to be making money from it, there's not a whole lot in it for Rendell and Boulting.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Kléber wrote:
    The trouble seems to be making money from it, there's not a whole lot in it for Rendell and Boulting.
    They started it on the cheap and, it seems, are struggling with any way of making money. The need to earn a living is more pressing.

I like the absence of slick technique or studio environment. I don't want it to sound too professional, I think it would end up impacting on the material as well as its style. The deliberately amateurish, spontaneous feel is refreshing and I like their honest, well-informed take on the sport. However, some of the pointless in-jokes and the Skype issues really should have been edited out. They might be funny for Ned & Matt but they were intensely frustrating for the listener.

To borrow an analogy, a 3-mnute pop song with a shorter guitar solo and fewer bum notes is always going to work better than the rambling 7-minute version padded with too many verses and the lead guitarist doesn't know when the Hendrix-style feedback no longer contributes anything meaningful to the whole. Less is invariably more.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.