Real Peloton...

Benjamin Hall
Benjamin Hall Posts: 608
edited March 2011 in Pro race
Does anyone else absolutly adore this podcast?

Comments

• Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Yup. Even the atrocious ones.
    Just wish they were more frequent.
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    Yep!
    New one up this morning, including the most succinct description of the keirin by Matt :)
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Yes... but. They're not quite on form right now and it's not even one a month right now.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The production has often been too tiring to listen to for me.

I'd also wish they'd stick to cycling more than they do.

And less in-jokes and old-man jokes.

Having said that, I listen to it and I don't listen to many podcasts.

I just wish they got some polish on it. I'd even tolerate 3 mins of adverts at the beginning and middle rather than the occasionally appauling sound quality (and in some cases, chat).

There are plenty less listened to podcasts with better production.
  • Tusher
    But I love the fact it's not a slick professional production- it's just like overhearing two blokes rambling on about cycling.

Er, it basically IS just two blokes rambling on about cycling. That's what makes it unique.
  • Tusher
    chrisday- the new podcast hasn't appeared yet on i-tunes.
  • rick_chasey
    Tusher wrote:

I listened to it this morning :P
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Used to love it, but the stuff they did when Matt was in Colombia put me right off. I don't mind a lack of polish, but it was unlistenable, and effectively unedited.

But yes, will have to start listening again!

Strava is not Zen.
  • rick_chasey
    Tusher wrote:
    But I love the fact it's not a slick professional production- it's just like overhearing two blokes rambling on about cycling.

Er, it basically IS just two blokes rambling on about cycling. That's what makes it unique.

That's where we differ then.

The humour is also a little on the python side, which I don't get < (see, now you see I'm foreign).
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    Tusher wrote:

Ah, don't use iTunes (hate it!), so I just sub using the bare RSS feed from their website - stick this in your podcast software of choice and it should pick em up straight away: http://www.realpeloton.com/Feed/real-peloton.xml
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,796
    i like the podcast

the winter ones done via poor skype connections were painfully bad
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Tusher

the winter ones done via poor skype connections were painfully bad

Indeed, they were so excruciatingly ghastly I suspect they are doomed to become classics of their ilk.
  • Kléber
    Didn't someone with a username from here email them a rant to demand they "sort it"?
  • Tusher
    Kleber, may I introduce you to mididoctors.
  • Love it. My fav podcast by some way. Velo Club Don Logan is also worth checking out.
  • Kléber
    Tusher wrote:
    Kleber, may I introduce you to mididoctors.
    Maybe he's a sound engineer? as in midi etc
  • Tusher
    They're the people who did the Obree podcast?
    Now, THAT was genius.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    Tusher wrote:

That's where we differ then.

The humour is also a little on the python side, which I don't get < (see, now you see I'm foreign).

You're foreign? Seriously? I'd seriously never have guessed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Tusher
    You're Dutch, aren't you Rick?
    Or Belgium.

Or possibly I've completely forgotton. Your English is better than mine.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Tusher wrote:
    Or Belgium.

Are Dutchland and Belgium different? I thought they were just different names for Holland, or is Germany ;)
  • rick_chasey
    dougzz wrote:
    Tusher wrote:
    Or Belgium.

Are Dutchland and Belgium different? I thought they were just different names for Holland, or is Germany ;)

Thin ice guys, thin ice.
  • Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    Love it. My fav podcast by some way. Velo Club Don Logan is also worth checking out.

Love RP, one of my 'listen as soon as it's out' podcasts alongside Mark Kermode.

I really like Velo Club Don Logan too, but I wish they'd drop the self deprecating stuff. The podcasts good, stop calling it shit!

Others: Spokesman can be good, but Calton needs to shut the hell up and they bleat a lot about doping all the time. Fredcast can be good, but can also be hard work. Coach Joe Beers JBST Smartcast is really good for training tips and stuff and has some good interviews, particularly if you run as well as bike. For general, non sports cycling The Bike Show from Resonance FM can be very good, again good interviews often.

I miss the Velocast, presume there was some kind of falling out? John Galloway has been doing the Spokesmen and Don Logan podcast at least. I gather he's doing a new pod called Flammecast, anyone tried that?
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    I miss the Velocast, presume there was some kind of falling out?

Not at all, the other guy, who's name I forget, decided he couldnt commit the time necessary to keep making the podcast.

As for the flammecast have a listen, it's good, fairly similar to the velocast. The website, http://flammecast.com/ also is shaping up well with some good material.
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    I thought it was John Galloway who said he was quitting the velocast due to lack of time, and he's now the one from the velocast who is doing flammecast? The other guy from the velocast was Scott.

Or have I got it the wrong way round somewhere?
  • andyxm
    andyxm Posts: 132
    It is the best cycling podcast I have heard by a mile, but they seem amused by their own amateurishness a little too much, I know it is free but some of the podcasts when Matt was in Colombia were impossible to listen to and shouldn't really have been released.

In terms of presentation James Richardson on the Guardian Football podcast is about the best, I think they could learn a lot from him.
  • rick_chasey
    andyxm wrote:
    It is the best cycling podcast I have heard by a mile, but they seem amused by their own amateurish a little too much, I know it is free but some of the podcasts when Matt was in Colombia were impossible to listen to.

In terms of presentation James Richardson on the Guardian Football podcast is about the best, I think they could learn a lot from him.

Football weekly really is excellent.

Even if James gets stick for doing the Tour on Eurosport from time to time.

What it has to its advantage is a) a proper recording studio b) a full time producer and c) proper journalists.
  • Slimbods
    Not at all, the other guy, who's name I forget, decided he couldnt commit the time necessary to keep making the podcast.

As for the flammecast have a listen, it's good, fairly similar to the velocast. The website, http://flammecast.com/ also is shaping up well with some good material.

Scott? Just seemed out of the blue, one day they were taking donations for a trip to eurobike, then it finished, not even a farewell ep.
  • Slimbods
    andyxm wrote:

Off topic, but I'm a big fan of most of the guardian podcasts, the media and science ones in particular are brilliant, but also enjoy movies, music and tech. Very high production values, good content, great guests. Brilliant stuff for long bike rides.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Tusher wrote:
    it's just like overhearing two blokes rambling on about cycling.

Er, it basically IS just two blokes rambling on about cycling.
    Are you talking about Harmon//Kirby purporting to be commentators with whoever they have next to them. ? :?:

Thin ice guys,thin ice.
    Maastricht perhaps :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Just checked out the Flammecast. It's of a very similar style as real peloton, interesting and amusing. Perfect.