GPS in Jersey pocket

turkeytickler
turkeytickler Posts: 640
Hi all

I am looking at hooking my smartphone up to an HRM strap via bluetooth, and getting some GPS tracking software to do some ride stats for training.

My question is, has anyone experience of running a GPS device from a jersey pocket? Will I be able to get a signal worth using? (road conditions aside obviuosly....)

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    You should get a good signal in a jersey pocket. Unless the antenna is covered by metal or carbon (some adhesive tapes have a lot of carbon in them) there is little that will affect the signal.
  • Done it with a Memory map 2800 - works fine.
  • brilliant news, thank you 8)
  • bluesparx
    bluesparx Posts: 62
    Mine works fine and it's a cheap sony ericcson xperia x8. Ive tried mytracks and imapmyride, both work but i prefered mapmyride as I already use the website, it had a pause function for pit stops and better data. I'm not sure how much you can trust the altitude data but the mileage seems to tally with my cycle computer and it shows me exactly where I got lost.
  • c0ugars
    c0ugars Posts: 202
    I done this with my nokia and used the sports tracker app and it worked a charm in my pocket!!!!!
  • millimole
    millimole Posts: 53
    I use an iBlue GPS tracker in my jacket pocket (and saddlebag pocket) with no problems
  • cush123
    cush123 Posts: 75
    Should work, no problem. Battery life might be an issue with constant GPS and Bluetooth connectivity though,
  • spinndrift
    spinndrift Posts: 185
    I've used sport tracker with N95 and Endomondo on HTC Desire in back pocket and also waterproof front pocket with no issues.

Been out for 4 hours with the Desire and no battery issues.
    Cheers

Andy
    Cyclist, Massage Therapist & Ice Cream Genius
    Andrew Creer Massage