Bioshock 2 - a fan

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited April 2011 in The bottom bracket
A year or two ago I was thinknig about getting bioshock 2 and I never did.

I got it this weekend on the cheap and wow - it's really quite special.

Although I was a little too young to really appreciate it, it reminds me of the feeling I had when playing system-shock 2, all those years ago - and it plays in a similar way.

It is filled with " I remember when I first saw/did that" moments, and I've yet seen a game, perhaps other than half-life (2) and red-dead that has such a strange bizarre world that you can really buy into.

Really quite special.

Anyone else feel the same?

Also, which games did you have a 'moment' which will never leave you?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    First time at Uni I played 4 player Bomberman on the SNES. :o
  • rick_chasey
    NapoleonD wrote:

You're old ;) :twisted:
  • Anonymous
    The excitement when the SNES and Megadrive came out in the early 90's (1990/91) was brilliant.
    Super Mario World on the SNES remains the finest game ever devised.
  • NapoleonD wrote:

Throw Crack Cocaine, Heroin and Chocolate into abowl, mix well for 20 minutes and you still don't have something as addictive as 4 Player superbomberman on the SNES.

I lost weekends playing that with my mates.

Friday night, about 7pm, all dressed and ready to go out clubbing...

"Shall we have a quick game or two before going out?"

Next thing you know it's Sunday morning and you never made it to the pub or nightclubs Friday or Saturday night. :shock:

Yet you still had a great laugh with your mates and saved cash. :D

Most intense gaming experience I had was playing Goldeneye on the N64, and I mean when it first came out.

I was one of the first to own one and at the time I was in the Army and we were all blown away playing the game as the NPC's were not just walking about in the game, they were actually appearing to patrol as a proper soldier does.

We constantly had challenges to see who could get the most headshots with a sniper rifle in the fastest time and complete the missions, awesome fun.

Yes, I'm so old I remember when Pong was state of the art.
  • NapoleonD wrote:

Mario 64 was better imho, though Super Mario World was epic for the time it came out and I'd still sit and play it for hours now if I could.
  • Anonymous
    Jeez, that's just taken me back and sounds exactly like my experience!
    Yeah, Goldeneye was amazing :)
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Sensible Soccer on the Atari.

Aftertouch!
  • /me downloads emulator and rom

rawr
  • Anonymous
    Heh heh, I used to have ZSnes on the pc. MAME was tops too!
  • rick_chasey
    For me, - being younger, one of my first 'wow' moments was that medal of honour beach landing ala private ryan.

Another early one was in half-life when the opposing force soldiers arrived for the first time > i think from a helicopter. More of a slow burner was the briefcase guy who kept appearing. That kind of attention to detail blew my mind back then.
  • Anonymous
    Half Life was tremendous until you went into the other dimension.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    MAME was tops too!
    I still have MAME on my PC, and hundreds of games, I was a hardcore Arcade rat as a kid, first thing I did when the family went on holiday was head for the arcades to play the latest games. :D

Used to drive my parents insane. :oops:
  • 'wow'

The game that shall not be mentioned, ugh. Spent too many years playing that Blizzard branded addiction that is World of Warcrack.
  • rick_chasey
    'wow'

The game that shall not be mentioned, ugh. Spent too many years playing that Blizzard branded addiction that is World of Warcrack.

I hope that's a joke!

Never played world of warcraft. I just mean a moment which makes you utter the sound "wow"....
  • Anonymous
    NapoleonD wrote:
    MAME was tops too!
    I still have MAME on my PC, and hundreds of games, I was a hardcore Arcade rat as a kid, first thing I did when the family went on holiday was head for the arcades to play the latest games. :D

Bloody hell, are you sure you're not me?!?
  • 'wow'

I hope that's a joke!

Never played world of warcraft. I just mean a moment which makes you utter the sound "wow"....
    Sadly Warcraft is one of those moments, it's not got over 10 million players worldwide for nothing you know.

I remember getting to a point a while back where single player games were not "doing it for me" anymore, and most online games were meh, ended up having a look at WoW and it was awesome seeing something of that scope and depth.

Shame over the last few years it has gone right down the tubes as they started to cater for the new generation of "ADHD" kids who have nothing wrong with them other than they want rewarding for clicking the log in button and anything that has a challenge to complete or take part it turns them into whiney little brats who don't shut up till they are placated and the content was made so easy everything was pretty much ruined as it took little to no effort to do most things.
  • rick_chasey
    If you're a blizzard fan did you enjoy diablo 2?
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    MAME was tops too!

Bloody hell, are you sure you're not me?!?
    I was not the only kid in the arcade, I am sure we have many brothers from another mother scattered far and wide who all did exactly the same.

Any trip down the motorway was always laced with the hope the motorway services would get a visit as they always had the newest games or something you had never seen before, airports were like the Holy grail and Butlins was Heaven on earth. :D
  • If you're a blizzard fan did you enjoy diablo 2?

Got it and LoC expansion, utterly enjoyed them, still play once in a while, be interesting to see what they do with the third instalment.

They need something to make up for Cataclysm to be honest.
  • rick_chasey
    If you're a blizzard fan did you enjoy diablo 2?

Got it and LoC expansion, utterly enjoyed them, still play once in a while, be interesting to see what they do with the third instalment.

They need something to make up for Cataclysm to be honest.

I'll be honest - all that dungeons stuff never appealed to me. The closest I got to RPGs was Deus Ex, system shock 2 etc.
  • Anonymous
    I used to be addicted to Diablo II online.

Deus Ex was the finest one player FPS IMO...
  • rick_chasey
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I used to be addicted to Diablo II online.

Deus Ex was the finest one player FPS IMO...

Personally I think, from what I've played so far, bioshock knocks it off the mantal.

My first ever game, for what it's worth, was transport tycoon, which i still LOVE.

I can whistle hum all the tunes on that game at a drop of a hat.
  • Anonymous
    I never got into Bioshock as my Desktop PC died shortly after I got it and it was never replaced...
  • I was in the Infantry for a few years so playing soldier is not really exciting having done it for real, my preference is mostly for God level games such as Civ, Sim City type stuff or Anno. Though I adore Rome: Total War, which has a bit of several genres chucked in and appeals to me on a few levels as I was fascinated with the Romans and how they shaped the world and the technology the gave us.

Final Fantasy VII was, is and always will be the end of RPG'ing imo, 8 and 9 were so-so, not played any since.
  • Anonymous
    I was in the Infantry for a few years so playing soldier is not really exciting having done it for real, my preference is mostly for God level games such as Civ, Sim City type stuff or Anno. Though I adore Rome: Total War, which has a bit of several genres chucked in and appeals to me on a few levels as I was fascinated with the Romans and how they shaped the world and the technology the gave us.

Final Fantasy VII was, is and always will be the end of RPG'ing imo, 8 and 9 were so-so, not played any since.

Did you ever have Populous? That was tops when it first came out. I loved Civ too.
  • rick_chasey
    IThough I adore Rome: Total War, which has a bit of several genres chucked in and appeals to me on a few levels as I was fascinated with the Romans and how they shaped the world and the technology the gave us.

I got in on the total war series right from the start with Shogun, and since then (up to Rome - when I had to start financing PC upgrades myself) ever installment has disapointed. I never quite got that original "this is something special" feeling. It just seemed to drag a bit.

Anyone remember the first time they got to play with a Tanya on Red Alert? CHA CHING!
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Did you ever have Populous? That was tops when it first came out. I loved Civ too.
    I tried one of them on the PS, never got into it as much as I did with Civ, which I played to death after I left the Army and got my own place again. :D
  • Anonymous
    Yeah, I had it on the Amiga in 1989, it was groundbreaking stuff when it came out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMWuhCAF9Ww

You can lose a whole night to Civ. Just one more turn...
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    +1 to that!!
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    You can lose a whole night to Civ. Just one more turn...

Bah, I thought you were a gamer, only a night? Pffft, part timer, I lost days playing it to death, heh. ;)

Then again I was getting higher than Neil Armstrong ever did smoking some weed and was relaxing and hardcore gaming after several years in the army so it was good to get lost in digital bliss.