Celebrity commuters

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 61,162
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Has anyone seen any celebs commuting on bikes?

I spotted John Torode - one of the 'Masterchef' judges - the other day getting off his bike on Waterloo Road just near the ambulance station. (Maybe this is where they film the new series?)
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Think I saw Boris last year.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    cjcp wrote:

He said celebs :D
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Stevo_666
    Lancslad wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

He said celebs :D
    Beat me to it :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Oi! The man's a star :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I've seen DDD, Clever Pun and Hatbeard?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Canny Jock wrote:
    I've seen DD, Clever Pun and Hatbeard?

FTFY
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Canny Jock wrote:
    I've seen DD, Clever Pun and Hatbeard?
    FTFY

Miaou
  • EKE_38BPM
    He'll get the other 'D' back in a few days.

• squeeler
    squeeler Posts: 144
    I saw Bill Beaumont recently, he of Question of Sport fame and england rugby captain. Not sure if he was commuting but I was. He didn't look as big in real life as I expected!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Pretty certain I saw Ricky Gervais cycling in Angel at the end of last year. He had a face like a smacked arse.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I spotted John Torode - one of the 'Masterchef' judges - the other day getting off his bike on Waterloo Road just near the ambulance station. (Maybe this is where they film the new series?)

I saw John Torode stopped at the Blackfriar's Bridge lights waiting to go south over the Bridge last month. Looked like a proper commuter, on a SS by the looks of it. Had all the gear, but it looked a bit too new and shiny though. Probably doesn't do that journey very often.

Saw Ant & Dec this morning in a Rickshaw, does that count?
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    I've seen Peter Hitchens (ultraconservative Daily Mail journalist) on a bicycle at the lights in Trafalgar Square, seemed like more of a fairweather cyclist, in shirtsleeves, no helmet etc...
  • notsoblue
    Robstar24 wrote:
    I've seen Peter Hitchens (ultraconservative Daily Mail journalist) on a bicycle at the lights in Trafalgar Square, seemed like more of a fairweather cyclist, in shirtsleeves, no helmet etc...

Oooooo!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Robstar24 wrote:

Surely his Byline should read 'By Peter Hitchens, who wasn't wearing a helmet' on all his articles if he writes for the DM.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    I think I saw Lily Allen this morning. Unlikely, I know, but it definitely looked like her.
    Riding on 531
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Dave Gorman posted on here a handful of times last year, to do with his Cycling Around Britain tour.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Gail Emms the well-known badmintonist, ona bike near to the National Badminton Centre in Milton Keynes.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,398
    One of my colleagues had to show Stephen Mangan how to un-dock a Boris Bike - you know, the one off Green Wing and Episodes.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Not seen him, but isn't Alan Sugar a keen cyclist/commuter?
  • EKE_38BPM
    Monkeypump wrote:

I doubt he commutes by bike (unless he's on a tandem with his chauffeur (sp?) upfront), but he does cycle. He challenged Jonathon Woss to join him on a 50 miler when Wossy still had his show on BBC1.

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Clarion wrote:
    I think I saw Lily Allen this morning. Unlikely, I know, but it definitely looked like her.

I'm pretty sure I saw Bjork in a kids' playground , the summer before last (the Princess Diana memorial playground in Kensington Park -- the one with the big pirate ship). She wasn't on a bike though.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Stevo_666
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Not sure about commuting but I think he's quite a keen roadie - remember skimming some article in a bike mag not so long ago about the fleet of Pinarellos he owns.
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Not sure about commuting but I think he's quite a keen roadie - remember skimming some article in a bike mag not so long ago about the fleet of Pinarellos he owns.

he is indeed a very keen recreational cyclist, if you saw that interview with Piers Morgan. He got into it following a tennis injury and found it so enjoyable and such good exercise that he kept it up. In fact you can tell that he's lost weight, probably due to cycling. In apprentice 2006 he looked a lot podgier than he did this series.

don't think he does much commuting, he probably gets to work in AMS1 but he gets out most days for a 30-50 miler and does indeed own several pinarellos at his various homes.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Monkeypump wrote:

I doubt he commutes by bike (unless he's on a tandem with his chauffeur (sp?) upfront), but he does cycle. He challenged Jonathon Woss to join him on a 50 miler when Wossy still had his show on BBC1.

Was my post on the first page invisible?

• Did anybody hear something? :lol:
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Is he the serous Australian, or the fat man who eats puddings like he's shovelling wet clay through a letterbox?
  • BR 1979 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Is he the serous Australian, or the fat man who eats puddings like he's shovelling wet clay through a letterbox?

He's the dark-haired one, not the one who bears a striking resemblance to a testicle wearing glasses.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    BR 1979 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

He's the dark-haired one, not the one who bears a striking resemblance to a testicle wearing glasses.

GRAAYPLAYDAFEEEEWD!!!

Him...
  • notsoblue
    BR 1979 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts ... 103043596/

"a cockney homunculus rutting with a cake"
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,398
    You'd think that given the number of close up shots of Greg shovelling food into his gob, that someone would have had a quiet word and suggested he work on his technique.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    rjsterry wrote:
    You'd think that given the number of close up shots of Greg shovelling food into his gob, that someone would have had a quiet word and suggested he work on his technique.

I just don't understand how he got to where he has. He's just a green grocer...