Forum home Road cycling forum Road beginners

Twitchy handling

Eddie2593Eddie2593 Posts: 15
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
I recently bought a new 2011 scott addict R3. i got this as an upgrade to my specialized allez 16 2010.

I don't know if its just me or does the bike have twitchy handling.It seems to shake when descenting which makes me quite nervous :P.It has nothing to do with the road surface, i have cycled the same route many times before. Never had any problems with my specialized, i always felt comfortable and in control.

I suspected it could of been the tires because i used them on my trainer so i thought they would have lost there grip.New tires, same problem...
Any suggestions guys?

• rakerake Posts: 3,204
    hard to say really. different geometry, fork rake and head tube angle have a lot to do with it. slack wheel tension . short stem. bad frame alignment.loose bearing. just hypothesising. some frames are supposedly more twitchey for handling but i prefer stability.. maybe your position has changed.
  • Berk BonebonceBerk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Steeper head angle. Shorter stem.
  • Monty DogMonty Dog Posts: 20,614
    When I first ride my race bike after using my trainer / cross bikes all winter it always feels that way - the lack of weight and more direct steering makes it feel nervous but after a few hours I don't notice anymore. Skinny, hard tyres and stiffer wheels also contributes.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
    steer with the pedals and saddle, and the bars will naturally follow .
  • john74john74 Posts: 254
    try a longer stem.

i put a shorter one on my bike, after 1 ride i changed back the difference was dramatic it was twitchy, and i was all over the road.
    2010 Forme Reve
    2010 Giant Talon 1
  • morstarmorstar Posts: 5,748
    Is it twitchy or rattling?

The word shake makes me wonder if the head set could do with tightening?
    sheldon says speed wobble is due to poor frame stiffnes in the front triangle allowing the head tube to resonated torsionally. nowt you could do about that.