Twitchy handling

Eddie2593
Eddie2593 Posts: 15
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
I recently bought a new 2011 scott addict R3. i got this as an upgrade to my specialized allez 16 2010.

I don't know if its just me or does the bike have twitchy handling.It seems to shake when descenting which makes me quite nervous :P.It has nothing to do with the road surface, i have cycled the same route many times before. Never had any problems with my specialized, i always felt comfortable and in control.

I suspected it could of been the tires because i used them on my trainer so i thought they would have lost there grip.New tires, same problem...
Any suggestions guys?

Comments

• rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    hard to say really. different geometry, fork rake and head tube angle have a lot to do with it. slack wheel tension . short stem. bad frame alignment.loose bearing. just hypothesising. some frames are supposedly more twitchey for handling but i prefer stability.. maybe your position has changed.
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Steeper head angle. Shorter stem.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    When I first ride my race bike after using my trainer / cross bikes all winter it always feels that way - the lack of weight and more direct steering makes it feel nervous but after a few hours I don't notice anymore. Skinny, hard tyres and stiffer wheels also contributes.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rake
    steer with the pedals and saddle, and the bars will naturally follow .
  • john74
    john74 Posts: 254
    try a longer stem.

i put a shorter one on my bike, after 1 ride i changed back the difference was dramatic it was twitchy, and i was all over the road.
    2010 Forme Reve
    2010 Giant Talon 1
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Is it twitchy or rattling?

The word shake makes me wonder if the head set could do with tightening?
  • rake
    sheldon says speed wobble is due to poor frame stiffnes in the front triangle allowing the head tube to resonated torsionally. nowt you could do about that.