So, what is the point of lycra?

13»

Comments

• pianoleo wrote:
    I find full finger cycling gloves are great, but I've never found a solution for cold thumbs.

Eke - Psoriasis is a condition whereby the immune system instructs skin cells to generate more quickly than usual. The skin then tends to scab or flake, though there are particularly nasty variants where pustules accumulate. It's not contagious but is quite possibly hereditary, it can appear anywhere on the body (including scalp) and it's treatable but not curable.

Can you tell it runs in my mother's family?...

Yep, that sums it up nicely - I'm very lucky in that I have it quite mildly and only on scalp, hand and feet - why?? Who on earth knows. Many people have it far, far worse!

EKE - I have very recently come across the alarmed locks - they look fab!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    EKE - I have very recently come across the alarmed locks - they look fab!

I like you, you have my name in caps like it is supposed to be. If you had it as E.K.E. I'd have to challenge your hubby to a fight to the death and then ask for your hand in marriage!

I found an alarmed padlock on ebay as 1 for £20 or 4 for £50. I bought the 4 and gave the 3 I don't need to family, thus increasing my karma and the possibility of deafening a thief.

header.jpg

Click the pic to go to the seller.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Well, today I came close to purchasing bot ha jersey and lycra tights. I found some, came home looked them up, thought - bargain! Had to go back to town to get more stuff for teenager and thought - yay! I'll get that stuff whilst its there. Pop to shop, pick up stuff, get to till feeling rather joyous, and realise that bank card is not there.

Home to check bank card situation, no card. Thankfully, I knew the last place I'd used it was Lidl (great current deal on guinness for those who may be interested). Back to Lidl and bless them they have card in safe.

Will try again tomorrow, now - wine is calling :-)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    If you suffer from hand problems - tingling, pressure pain etc take a look at Ergon grips - I had problems over long distances ie 20+ miles but these are excellent
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    If you suffer from hand problems - tingling, pressure pain etc take a look at Ergon grips - I had problems over long distances ie 20+ miles but these are excellent

Ergon grips are excellent, got them on both my Dahons.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    StuAff wrote:

Ergon grips are excellent, got them on both my Dahons.

+1, got them on my hybrid. Essential for touring if you have flat bars.
  • Lycra doesn't really have a point. It's more of a bulge....
  • EKE_38BPM
    Lycra doesn't really have a point. It's more of a bulge....

+1!

• pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    EKE, I apologise for mistyping your name. Completely my fault. As to your solution for thumb-warming, cheers, I hadn't thought of that...
  • EKE_38BPM
    pianoleo wrote:
    EKE, I apologise for mistyping your name. Completely my fault. As to your solution for thumb-warming, cheers, I hadn't thought of that...

No need to apologise.

• pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    P.S. My username is lowercase. Technically piano is my professional tool, whilst Leo is my name. Maybe I should rethink it.

Insert winky smiley here.
  • pianoleo wrote:
    P.S. My username is lowercase. Technically piano is my professional tool, whilst Leo is my name. Maybe I should rethink it.

Insert winky smiley here.

Oh I rather like that!

I have some tights and a jersey - hurray. Have to say see the benefits of the jersey immediatley - it moves with you - lots more flex - I like that alot. Teenager has said that I don't look too ridiculous to leave the house, but the caveat was that I'm out of town before she gets up :-)

I am now off to clean my chain - its a whole new world!!

thanks for all for the advice and the giggles!

S :-)
  • EKE_38BPM

Bike love!
    I use this. That or something similar do a good job for the weekly clean.

Oh, your weren't asking for advice. Carry on!

Glad you've found some lycra that the teenager isn't too ashamed of. That is the most important consideration, after all.

• EKE_38BPM wrote:

Bike love!
    I use this. That or something similar do a good job for the weekly clean.

Oh, your weren't asking for advice. Carry on!

Glad you've found some lycra that the teenager isn't too ashamed of. That is the most important consideration, after all.

mmm weekly - first time since I bought it - 7months ago :oops: I think it may need to be a little more regular!!

I think the teen is just humouring me - she has her care in the community voice on :-)
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    What is this weekly I hear tale of - your bike wont love you clean it every day !

Or am I a little OCD
    7651d936.jpg

New home for my bike stops the wheels getting dirty when not on the road
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • OCD Nik - Never :-)

Nice bike! I like the idea of hanging them in the hall, unfortunately I think if we tried it here the house would fall down!!
  • EKE_38BPM
    I have some tights and a jersey - hurray. Have to say see the benefits of the jersey immediatley - it moves with you - lots more flex - I like that alot...thanks for all for the advice and the giggles!

S :-)

Oh yeah, you're supposed to tell us all what you bought on this thread...
    And post pictures of you wearing it on this thread.

• the chances of the latter are slim, to say the least :-)
  • EKE_38BPM
    the chances of the latter are slim, to say the least :-)

But there is a chance?...

• None at all :-) I don't do photos at the best of times, and certainly not whilst in nowt but tights!
  • EKE_38BPM
    Oh yeah, it is advisable to keep your tyres at the correct pressure (another weekly check).
    You'll need a pump with a pressure gauge to do this. A car pump (foot or electric) will do the job, but if you are in a spending mood, the Lidl sale tomorrow have track pumps at £5 whereas Halfrauds do a Boardman one for £45. They both do exactly the same job.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Lidl sales always sell out really quickly (queues outside the shops before they open), so get there early.

• Lidl sale - sadly I leave town way before they open and get back too late, but Hubby is going to attempt a visit to see if there is anything at all left! We will see :-)
  • Well, I got me some tight things and a jersey and spent last week trying them out. This weekend I bought some more :-). I loved it, am utterly convinced and pleased that the comfort, weight, and well comfort outweighs the fact that I feel like a bit of an idiot! Def a convert!
  • Well, I got me some tight things and a jersey and spent last week trying them out. This weekend I bought some more :-). I loved it, am utterly convinced and pleased that the comfort, weight, and well comfort outweighs the fact that I feel like a bit of an idiot! Def a convert!
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Well, I got me some tight things and a jersey and spent last week trying them out. This weekend I bought some more :-). I loved it, am utterly convinced and pleased that the comfort, weight, and well comfort outweighs the fact that I feel like a bit of an idiot! Def a convert!

So good you said it twice.

If you enjoy it now, wait till the summer :)

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • AndyManc wrote:
    [
    So good you said it twice.

If you enjoy it now, wait till the summer :)

Oops! re the summer, yes looking forward to that
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    Good to hear the lyrca is working for you.
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • Thanks Nik - does seem to be so far :-)
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    Just a thought re the fact you dont seem to suffer a sore a*se.

Could it be your saddle is a bit of an armchair as opposed to a wafer thin sheet of plastic like the road bike come with?

What bike was it you had again?
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up