So, what is the point of lycra?

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Don't think they're lycra per-se, but got some of those tight cycling 'shorts' after being rubbed sore on my hard road-bike saddle. Worked out it was my boxers scrunching up and rubbing :S
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • I tried not wearing Lycra, but had to relent due to the huge uproar.
    :lol: I can imagine the protests!
  • Kurako wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Kurako wrote:
    obviously the assumption here is that the hypothetical driver is capable of rational thought which is, of course, not always the case.

FAIL!

I agree with your sentiment though. Looking like a lollipop person on a bike gives the impression that you're engaged in an incredibly dangerous activity that requires the maximum level of precaution and health & safety gear.Thus reinforcing the stereotype that cyclists are all a risk unto themselves.

I realise it's not a perfect analogy. For instance, MAMILs wear lycra and tend to ride like knobs but they're a seperate sub-group IMO. Of course, it's also possible that drivers don't pick up on the various visual clues and just see a tw@t on a bike :shock:

Ok - what on earth is a MAMIL?? Do they bite :-)
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    It makes me feel sexy.

In my all black 'getup' I imagine I look like this:

news-symbiote-2.jpg

Why they don't do this exact top in a cycling jersey I'll never know....

That is fantastic!! I would LOVE turning up in the office in that - brilliant!
  • CiB wrote:
    I don't get the opposition to lycra. I can understand not wearing it for rides such as down the shops, or a family bimble, but any decent ride warrants the stuff.

Lycra is comfy, fits well, doesn't flap, wicks away sweat, has no spurious bits that you wish weren't there. Not wearing lycra is like wearing boxing gloves to play chess, or a suit of armour for a round of golf - you're just hampering yourself.

Who cares what it looks like? Sunday League footballers - which realistically are our closest analogy in terms of being sportsmen who are kidding themselves - they wouldn't dream of turning out for Dog & Gun United in anythign other than a football kit.
    Wot he sed.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    I look great in lyrca

no no really :D
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    or is it just to show off your legs? :-). In all seriousness, my mind is turning towards spring commuting attire. I have been wearing a base layer, waterproofs and a windproof jacket during the winter and am wondering what next.

So - are cycling tights actually warmish? What are the benefits of actual cycling clothing? Do you really need a jersey or is it just a posh t-shirt?

Having never worn any of these items I am genuinely curious....

Are you trolling :roll: ?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • TLDNMCL
    TLDNMCL Posts: 2,779
    Most of what has already been said, plus it's light enough to carry should you overheat and need to remove a layer or conversely, carry extra in case it may turn cold.

Added bonus is that it remains relatively comfortable even when wet through, plus it washes / dries very easily and quickly too.
    Mac
  • dilemna wrote:
    or is it just to show off your legs? :-). In all seriousness, my mind is turning towards spring commuting attire. I have been wearing a base layer, waterproofs and a windproof jacket during the winter and am wondering what next.

So - are cycling tights actually warmish? What are the benefits of actual cycling clothing? Do you really need a jersey or is it just a posh t-shirt?

Having never worn any of these items I am genuinely curious....

Are you trolling :roll: ?

Um no, I happen to have done a commute for 6months that cranks up to 16 miles a week, I only learned to ride a bike when I turned 30, I have a little folding raleigh that has taken me on said commute. I reckon I have done ok so far so much so that i have just applied for a job that will increase my cycling to 22-25 miles a day. I don't really a background in he gear - so as I hoped the slightly humourous tone would be a nice hello.

That was all.
  • and I should have added that I wanted to know what to buy and if it made a difference on a commute.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    There was nothing in the OP that seemed even slightly troll-ey to me.

A sensible question was asked and some of the replies had some sensible answers. Some just had a fat man in lycra!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • and I should have added that I wanted to know what to buy and if it made a difference on a commute.

Well now, if you are wanting us to spend your money for you, you came to the right place!

22 miles per day is a lot of riding, especially on a folder. Lycra will help with the miles, especially the padded shorts. Bib shorts are my preference, they fit better. Aldi is good for commute gear, but that'd not be until may. If you go to Alpine bikes website m they have Cannondale clothing at half price, great deal.

You may need to improve your bike to a real road bike for those miles. It would match the lycra.
  • Thank you undercover elephant. I will (IF I get the new job - big IF) be upgrading the folder with some really helpful advice from some folks on here. But it will still be a folder - there is a 2 hour coach journey to do before the cycling I'm afraid :-).

I was just telling the hubby about learning what FCPs were - and his response was that with a folding bike and an anorak I was probably in negative numbers - so something does have to be done about the attire. I still don't get the padded shorts tho - don't really notice much of a problem in that area!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    There was nothing in the OP that seemed even slightly troll-ey to me.

A sensible question was asked and some of the replies had some sensible answers. Some just had a fat man in lycra!

and one had the coolest suit I'd ever seen - sadly I then realised it was a figure - ho hum ninja fighting is put to bed for another day. Kick Ass (the film) has had far too powerful an impact on this mid thirties woman :-)
  • EKE_38BPM
    and I should have added that I wanted to know what to buy and if it made a difference on a commute.

Well now, if you are wanting us to spend your money for you, you came to the right place!

22 miles per day is a lot of riding, especially on a folder. Lycra will help with the miles, especially the padded shorts. Bib shorts are my preference, they fit better. Aldi is good for commute gear, but that'd not be until may. If you go to Alpine bikes website m they have Cannondale clothing at half price, great deal.

You may need to improve your bike to a real road bike for those miles. It would match the lycra.

Shopping list:
      Road bike Helmet (if thats your bag) Locks, yes plural (go
    here for recommended locks)
    SPDs
    SPD shoes (natch)
    Lights
    Spare lights
    Gloves
    Lycra clothing. I would suggest two each (at least) of shorts, 3/4 tights, L/S jersey, S/S jersey, base layers
    Windproof jacket
    Clear glasses (for overcast days and night riding)
    Shades (coz its not always overcast)
    Tools
    Tuition on how to use the tools (if necessary)
    Panniers/rucksack
    Buff (for winter)
    I would have said a spare bike, but that is what your folder will be
    A good vocabulary of expletives for dumb drivers

Decathlon and Aldi/Lidl are good for cheap bike clothing (and cheap bikes).
    Sheldon Brown is good for technical information ('this' will fit 'that' but not 'the other' type info)
    Park Tools is good for tuition on how to do stuff like indexing gears.

It seems you have the fitness and attitude to keep riding, so all of that stuff will be an investment, not an expense.

Enjoy the shopping!

BTW, its FCN, not FCP (typo?) and the lower the number the more elite you should be, a roadie with shaved (like a laydee) legs, in team kit etc would be FCN zero and should be the fastest cyclist on the road. Overtaking one of them would be the ultimate scalp.
    A folder rider wearing an anorak would have a high number (10+?) so every other cyclist on the road would be a legitimate target.

• bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    I started wearing cycling gear for my short commute simply because my regular clothes were getting ruined by road grime thrown up when it rained - this stuff just seems to never wash out. As time has gone on I have bought slightly better stuff (Aldi) for the commute. I can commute more comfortably in a wider range of weathers.

On a longer ride, especially over several days, having the right gear makes the difference between enjoyment and agony...
  • I would do a cut-down shopping list from Eke, winter's all but over:

Road bike, or road bike like folder
    Helmet
    Lights
    Multi-Tool
    Clippy pedals and shoes
    Gloves (maybe one pair long finger, one pair mits)
    Lycra 3/4s and shorts
    2 Short sleeve jerseys
    Soft-shell jacket.

That would probably do you until autumn.
  • I have a fair amount of that stuff already but have not got the underlayer (for want of a better term) right yet - so its been basic base layers and tech Tees under waterproofs. With the upcoming Lidl extravaganza I thought I'd might have a go at the lycra -and from the sounds of most of the posts here that sounds like a reasonable plan, then I just have to get the courage to go out in it in public (not, as I said earlier, being Uma Thurman!).

But from the sounds of things its def worth a shot - my poor boss will have a breakdown :-)
  • EKE_38BPM
    I would do a cut-down shopping list from Eke, winter's all but over:

Road bike, or road bike like folder
    Helmet
    Lights
    Multi-Tool
    Clippy pedals and shoes
    Gloves (maybe one pair long finger, one pair mits)
    Lycra 3/4s and shorts
    2 Short sleeve jerseys
    Soft-shell jacket.

That would probably do you until autumn.
    I can't argue with that list (apart from locks).

Check out Airnimal for a folding road bike. I have no experience of one, but I really like the look of them.

• You'd do better getting better quality shorts - seriously.

http://www.alpinebikes.com/shop/cannondale/clothing/

All half price! :D
  • OK - lets cut to the quick on the shorts thing...

I have never found cycling sore on the arse, even over slightly longer rides, other parts of my body, yes (hands being a prime example), but never the bottom area - I am beginning to think I'm doing something wrong!

Or, the difference is only one you notice when you get the shorts - which I can but - how many things (bikes here would be a good example) seem brill until you try a better / different one? I am going to have to get shorts purely to test this hypothesis!

Thanks for all the advice folks - I ma creating a lidls list for the poor other half as we speak :-) (for the purists - I know not brilliant, but a good place to start :-) )

As for locks, my first bike, aged 31, was nicked because I had effectively locked it up with a rubber band - I was devastated - I am hot on locks!!

S :-)
  • EKE_38BPM
    Problems with my hands used to limit my time on my bike then I discovered cycling mitts (Specialized Body Geometry ones) and that problem has gone completely.

What hand problems do you have? I'm guessing numb/cold little fingers.

If your 'lady garden' feels fine then don't stress about padded shorts. If it ain't broke...

I've just bought an alarmed padlock. A decent lock on its own (but not a primary lock) but if someone tries to nick my bike they get 110dB in their ears. I like that. I like that a lot.

• Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    Cycle mitts are great, they really help to cut down on numbness.

I work in an all male envoirment and get ripped daily for being a lyrca clad road warrior but deep down I know they are all just jealous !
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • I have psoriasis so the bike and the gloves tend to rub, but to be honest hey get manky anyway. Followed by a complete girl thing - my rings dig in and then I get blisters.

that said, it took a couple of winter rides to realise HOW cold your hands get - I've been doubling up on normal gloves this winter but top of my list is some proper cycle gloves.

My boss is brill! He recently introduced me to a new member of staff announcing - "look at her now and then check her out once she is changed - she's really elegant" in the most surprised voice you will ever hear :-)
  • [quote="

BTW, its FCN, not FCP (typo?) and the lower the number the more elite you should be, a roadie with shaved (like a laydee) legs, in team kit etc would be FCN zero and should be the fastest cyclist on the road. Overtaking one of them would be the ultimate scalp.
    A folder rider wearing an anorak would have a high number (10+?) so every other cyclist on the road would be a legitimate target.[/quote]

I wish!! Just a poorly learned term :-) I think I'm probably plus 50 :-) But I do get lots of respect from the BMX teenagers!
  • EKE_38BPM
    I highly recommend proper cycling gloves.

Pressure on the ulnar nerve (I think) in the heel of the palm reduces blood flow to the little finger which results in numb/cold little fingers. Padded mitts stop that.

My internet is being all weird so I can't google psoriasis. What is it?

• Shit skin :-)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Mitts make a huge diff. Full-length winter gloves leave me with a bit of numbness; decent mitts don't. Draw your own conclusions. I did. Cold fingers, or numb hands. What's to choose? It's tough, cycling in winter.
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    I find full finger cycling gloves are great, but I've never found a solution for cold thumbs.

Eke - Psoriasis is a condition whereby the immune system instructs skin cells to generate more quickly than usual. The skin then tends to scab or flake, though there are particularly nasty variants where pustules accumulate. It's not contagious but is quite possibly hereditary, it can appear anywhere on the body (including scalp) and it's treatable but not curable.

Can you tell it runs in my mother's family?...
  • EKE_38BPM
    Thanks for that Pianoleo.
    Psoriasis doesn't sound like much fun. I'll give it a miss.

I can think of a solution to warm your thumbs up, but you will only be able to warm one at a time and you'll have to stand while pedaling.
    If I used smileys I'd have one here to let you know I'm just yanking your chain in a friendly manner and no offence is intended.