The SCR Judication thread

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Not all SCR bouts are clear cut and sometimes we need our egos gratified by the fair and impartial judgement of our fellow SCR-cycling brethen.

I have one such incident that needs judgement

Ok Stockwell to Oval.

Guy on a blue single speed (with the decals covered in blue tape) shorts over Rabbobank kit. Calves big enough to feed an entire African Village and I think shaved.

He holds 24mph for half this road. I'm alongside him. He blows up and I power off to finish the remainder at 25mph.

Waiting at the lights by Oval and he is three bikes behind.

Then Oval to Elephant and Castle. I hold 24mph for half the road and blow up. He passes me. We meet up again past the Elephant and Castle round about but traffic and road surface conditions eliminate any chance of doing SCR safely.

Verdict please?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Judge 1 scores it a tie.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Road stopped play.

Either arrange a return fixture or share the points
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I'm assuming you have gears, so bout awarded to opponent
  • frankieh
    frankieh Posts: 85
    I think you loose by having to ask if you won.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Does SS beat gears in a tied race? Surely there are advantages and disadvantages to each...
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    When you parted company, who was ahead? That's all there really is to it, no?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    why isn't this in the scr thread?

it's a draw you both overtook each other once.. certainly no definite winner
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Does SS beat gears in a tied race? Surely there are advantages and disadvantages to each...

Good question.

I've found the majority of 'quick' riders I've come up against have been single speeders - one of the reasons I decided to join the club.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    I'm pretty sure he's a London Dynamo. Baggy shorts over lycra and blue tape over the decals and rear mudguard? If so, it's this chap waiting at the lights to the left in Bassjunkie's vid: http://www.youtube.com/user/SkrzypczykB ... DI_sMtJdVA

I'm like a dull CCTV unit...
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    DDD - as you correctly bowed to safety and the fact that dude was on an SS - Tie.

The refereee's decision is final.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    That looks like the same guy Gaz545 posted the other day in SCR thread - he was holding 30+ in that vid (assuming the on screen speedo was true).
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights as you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Did you do this?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Origamist wrote:
    I'm pretty sure he's a London Dynamo. Baggy shorts over lycra and blue tape over the decals and rear mudguard? If so, it's this chap waiting at the lights to the left in Bassjunkie's vid: http://www.youtube.com/user/SkrzypczykB ... DI_sMtJdVA

I'm like a dull CCTV unit...

That's a fairly impressive bit of spotting/recall. All I remember from that day is someone else giving me a good workout ;-)

At first I was leaning towards a draw, you both seem to have overtaken each other on fairly long stretches of road but I think his lack of gears does tip the balance ever so slightly in his favour. Valiant effort tho :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • I'll go with a tie.

SCR, whilst good natured, humorous and (let's not forget) Silly, is nevertheless a gladiatorial battle to the death. No quarter shall be asked or given. Crushing your enemies underfoot and seeing the gutters run red with the river of their blood is the object.

Death, win. No death, no win.

DDD, in that contest you had ... NO DEATH!

So it's a tie.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    pastryboy wrote:
    That looks like the same guy Gaz545 posted the other day in SCR thread - he was holding 30+ in that vid (assuming the on screen speedo was true).

No, that's me. I'm talking about the guy in the Dynamo kit at the lights with the blue tape on the frame and mud-guard. I think that's who DDD is referring to.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    pastryboy wrote:

Good question.

I've found the majority of 'quick' riders I've come up against have been single speeders - one of the reasons I decided to join the club.

If you're quick, you're quick regardless of what you ride, surely?

I've encountered some fast SS'ers, and very often they go super silly spinny at speeds, or go slo-mo after stopping at lights. No doubt these guys would be even faster with gears on a commute.
  • I'm giving it to Mr SS. You overtook then blew up so he had to take you back. You only caught back up because of traffic.

Away win.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You've learned a valuable lesson; you pushed too soon and paid the price. You should have stalked him past the Oval and made your move then. As it was, you were just playing the role of his lead out man (who takes the glory - Renshaw or Cavendish?).

Sheesh - were are the tactics? Where is the style? This is ugly SCR! He won, you lost and you have only yourself to blame. There is no such thing as a tie and the smarter cyclist won the day. You need to pull yourself together as you are starting to look like Cavendish in the opening stages of last years tour!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    You started off level at 24mph, then upped your game to 25mph, then halfway down the next stretch realised you'd written a cheque you couldn't cash...

You had gears and he didn't?

I think you'd be lucky to call that a tie rather than a defeat!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Rolf F wrote:
    You've learned a valuable lesson; you pushed too soon and paid the price. You should have stalked him past the Oval and made your move then. As it was, you were just playing the role of his lead out man (who takes the glory - Renshaw or Cavendish?).

Sheesh - were are the tactics? Where is the style? This is ugly SCR! He won, you lost and you have only yourself to blame. There is no such thing as a tie and the smarter cyclist won the day. You need to pull yourself together as you are starting to look like Cavendish in the opening stages of last years tour!

Wot he said!
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    He holds 24mph for half this road. I'm alongside him. He blows up and I power off to finish the remainder at 25mph.

Did he come passed you or did you catch him? Former he takes it, later its a tie.

Was there some drafting involved?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Him SS, you geared.

Sorry DD, but its a tie at best (hence you losing the 'Don' prefix.
    On that showing you are now just Daddy D.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm with LiT, you tried to make it stick and failed, your earlier 'victory' was just the prelude to the end game (like two track sprinters doing stands while jockeying for position prior to the final sprint) and he won that sprint.

Victory to the gearless one I'm afraid.

However this was SCR, what what his FCN - you don't mention it, if he was higher than you, it can never be a win anyway!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    sounds to me liked you got completely owned by the guy on the SS. reeled in and caught like a big panting fish slapping about on the promenade.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    However this was SCR, what what his FCN - you don't mention it, if he was higher than you, it can never be a win anyway!

Simon

I believe at the upper FCN levels competition can be a bit rarefied, hence it's normally down to each rider to size up each other as they are almost regarded equal.

@EKE - If this carries on he'll soon lose the Daddy moniker, then we can call him SonnyD ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I think CJCP will be putting a claim on the Power Awesome too.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Sketchley wrote:
    A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights as you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Did you do this?

Pow, right in the kisser
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    In the land of SCR, SS means he should be faster. You were geared and therefore trying to take his scalp. He defended his scalp by not letting you get in front and powering away. Therefore:

No Scalp!

And deep down in your soul I bet you know it too :twisted:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Did you do this?

Pow, right in the kisser

boom_headshot.jpg
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Heh heh. SCR is not about overtaking. It's about leaving them sobbing in your wake as you power into the 8th dimension purely by leg awesomeness. You didn't do that :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]