How long do you intend to keep the same bike ?

2»

Comments

• Deepunder
    Deepunder Posts: 145
    tsenior wrote:
    in the loft wearing a railway mock train drivers outfit. I know what she'd prefer !

i dunno; your wife quite likes fancy dress.

:wink:

Oh, you're talking about the 'good old days'.....I can just about remember
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    1st bike GT agressor - Nov 2009
    2nd bike Cube AMS - April 2010
    3rd bike - Trek remedy - Last Saturday

So far im averaging 6months months but to be fair thats just upgrading as Im getting more confidence and trying new stuff. My Remedy will probably see me for the next couple of years....hopefully :D
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    I have a 13 year old Specialized Ground Control FSR Comp and an 18 year old Marin Bear Valley. I took a lot of time and put in a lot of thought when selecting these bikes and both are running well and get used two or three times a week, even during the winter.

In the summer, I'm embarking on a 166 mile round trip of Kent on the Marin, which at the moment has slicks on it. Not foreseeing any problems.

Would I like to change either? Yep, I could do with a road bike for the 166 miler, but I find road riding a bit dull in comparison to off-road. So the Marin will stay. The Spesh is pretty light and very well mannered and I feel like I know the bike so well that if I bought something to replace it, I'd be learning to ride all over again. It could do with a component update though, as I'm still running the orginal Judy T2 shocks.
  • It is not what you do, it is also how you do it.

I have a 15 yr old Muddy Fox cost £215 and it follows me round the worldv - currently in Africa. I could not replace it because in Gambia although it is not much of a bike - it is probably the best thing there.

For the UK I spent £1500 on an Orange p7 a year ago. If I wanted to change it I'd look up all the prices and so on and just before I spent £2500 on a new bike I'd stop and do a reality check by trying to get an offer on the Orange. I doubt I'd get more than £500 - so I'd get pissed off and just keep it.

The point is not lost on any of you - buy a great bike and you won't need to change it. And you probably will not want to either.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    My commuter is I think 19 years old, had it from new, so it's not going anywhere. The Mmmbop I think isn't neccesarily a keeper, it's great but it's a wee bit flawed. If I could afford a Ragley Ti I'd swap tomorrow, a Blue Pig X might be on the cards too. The Hemlock is a keeper for now.

The rigid bike's the one that'd make sense to upgrade... It's got a load of really nice parts on a cheap Carrera frame, and a Scandal would be a great cheap swap and would be 100% more cool... but, well, I kind of like being in an uncool niche :lol: "Yeah, took the carrera up innerleithen the other day", sounds way better than "Yeah, it's an On One rigid. Yeah, another one".
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hmm, dunno. "I've got syphilis" sounds cooler than "I'm taking the rigid OnOne out for a ride.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Ah, for a moment there I thought I was posting on singletrackworld :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    Until it breaks or I need a different type. When I got back into it I got a P7. Then I wanted to go downhill faster, so got a Nomad. Then I really got into dh and got a Session. Now I'm thinking I should swap the Nomad for something smaller.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Keep them for as long as you're happy with them.

My old GT is ancient, but the only original component on the frame is the seat post. Still rides well apart from the forks which need servicing. I only bought the Anthem because I wanted a FS bike.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    Well, I've now got to 'pretend' to keep my bike for 3 years, at which point Cycle Scheme will contact me to "ask if I still want it" :?
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    .blitz wrote:
    bamba wrote:
    ...found a bike your happy with.
    I'm sorry I don't understand the question

:D:D:D:D:D
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    had my claud butler for just over 2 years, then built my current maxlight which was 4 years old in december, althouggh literally every component other than the and shifters have been changed in the last year or so, it will shortly be accompanyed by an ibis mojo HD. i can't bring myself to get rid of the maxlight, its just too damn good and redicously good fun to ride, so i'll keep it for a thursday night/winter hack bike, might get it resprayed and swap a few things to match the ibis :lol:
  • I've had a Kona Manomano 12 years, it's now dead & I'm building a Cove Handjob, which I expect to have (barring thieves) for as long.

Eventually it started to give up the ghost though in all areas, rear shock collapsed (didn't stop me riding it), bb developed a head turning squeak..

Up till recently, BB never needed replacing, pedals/cranks stayed true, went thru tons of tyres, cables etc & wore out the chainrings but even last year I had some kid shout "nice bike!" at me. I'll miss it.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    the longets i have owned a bike is about 5 years but i tend to keep a bke for about 12 months or so before i fancy a change.

this has resulted in my getting rid of bikes i have had no problems with though just in order to have summat newer.

my current bike is about 6 months old and i cant see me getting rid ever. i used to think having loads of bikes was good fun but i quickly got bored of maintaining 6 bikes and am now down to 3, and i only ride 1 of those.