How long do you intend to keep the same bike ?

bamba
bamba Posts: 856
edited March 2011 in MTB general
After the recent change in the cycle scheme,extened hire period etc i was wondering how long would you plan to keep the same bike provided youve found a bike your happy with.
Ive had my Trance x4 for about 8 month now and really pleased with it, obviously stuff wears out,breaks together with new stuff coming out, upgrading could be endless.
Being as it the same frame as the rest of the Trance range the bare bones of it all should be more than up for what i can show it,
Just wonder how long typically folk plan or owned there bikes for,as only into my 2nd year of mtbing

Comments

• philcube
    philcube Posts: 45
    i have a spesh rockhopper which i bought a year ago, it performs well for the type of riding i do, and has quite a decent frame, so i have no plans to replace it. i'll just replace stuff that breaks.
    if your bike performs well and feels right for you, just keep going with it.
    i also have a 20 year old cannondale m700 (full rigid) which i have owned from new, now used for work run (30 miles a week, 52 weeks a year), still running smooth as a baby's bum, so not gonna replace that either!
  • Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    I'll be keeping my Coiler until I can comfortably afford to upgrade it to something better. (or until it breaks...)
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    My mtb is 14 years old, tourer about 8 and road bike (well the frame anyway) about 4. No intention to change any of them.

If you buy a bike with the right frame then why change it? Upgrade the bits from time to time or when they wear out.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Zaskar was the high end frame I bought to last me a long time, and will not be changing that any time soon. It will have differing components though.
  • floosy
    floosy Posts: 270
    My 1994 Kona (fully rigid) still gets muddy :)

Well the frame warranty still has 8 years left on it... :)

Dave.
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    I don't keep the same bike for more than a few months because something is always changing on it.

Frames on the other hand...about every 3 years
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    i've had my spark for 2 years and still love it, i can't see me wanting to part with it. i'll change parts as and when though.

as for my road bike, i'm not so sure. it'll be a lot easier to part with than my mtb.

specialized hardrock that i sold to someone at work a year ago, i wish i kept it :(

i might make him an offer :wink:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    As above, I could change my road bike at any time and wouldnt bat an eyelid. But, both my MTB's will be around probably until they break (like my last one). But, if components wear out they will be replaced (and upgraded no doubt) as and when.
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    I typically keep my bike until some scrote decides to nick it & I get a new one on the insurance. New for old policies are the future :D
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    until it breaks really. atm it's used for everything but after i get a fr/dh bike i will respray and rebuild my frame into a 4x bike
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bamba wrote:
    Just wonder how long typically folk plan or owned there bikes for,as only into my 2nd year of mtbing
    Last bike I had (still have) was 11 years old when it got replaced. Everything before it was replaced when it got broken.
    I'll probably keep the current wolfridge either until I find it's limits are restricting me, or until (if) it breaks.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,727
    A long time.

I put a fair bit of thought into what I get and buy something I really want/likefor the long term - unless the fecker breaks on me. It would take a long time before I really feel the need to upgrade - though I'm much more likely just to buy an extra bike than change what I've got (n+1).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Iwingstein
    Iwingstein Posts: 111
    Like the op, I have an X4 (about a year) and will keep it for a long time. If I were to replace I'd get same again so, in reality only upgrades/maintenance required.

ATB

Simon
  • bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    Until it breaks or gets stolen, whichever is sooner :lol: Enjoy the Carrera at the moment. Its going through upgrades at the moment. It does everything i could ask of it and still wants more.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I had my last Enduro 4 years,the current one is just(Feb) 3 years old and I'm hoping to part-ex it in September when the 2012 models hit the shops 8)
  • I always intend to keep my bike for a long time, but most the time that doesn't happen due to my own stupidity. The bike I have now, however, is going to stay.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I've not kept an MTB for longer for an year for ages. Get them at a team rate through sponsor shop, ride for a season, sell for slight profit, repeat! Worked for about 6 years now.

My road bike on the other hand is 5 years old, there's just always something more interesting to spend money on!
  • ctrlaltdel
    ctrlaltdel Posts: 114
    To the OP, if you've had your bike for a couple of years and you're happy with it, there's no reason to have it for at least a couple more :) . For my two cents, one of the best things about owning a bike for many years is that you become very attuned to it: You know exactly where its strengths and limits are, so more of your riding becomes more of a subconscious action.
    Bought my last bike in 1999 (Marin Indian Fire Trail), and over the ten years I had it, slowly replaced everything on the frame apart from the front derailleur. I still have the bike in the garage, but it hasn't been ridden properly for over a year now.
    New bike is a 2010 model Marin Indian Fire Trail. The frame is the same as the 2009 Marin Team Issue, so if it's good enough for the pro's, then it will be more than good enough for me 8) I don't think I'll be keeping it for ten years like the old Marin though. I'm thinking five years will be about right this time.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    When i first got back into MTB'ing i got through 11 bikes in the first 2 years :shock: just down to changing what direction i was going, or better/deals or even suggestions to try really. Trouble is with my work i spend a lot of time on my own, have internet access and have easily influenced mind when it comes to stuff to buy :D
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    When i first got back into MTB'ing i got through 11 bikes in the first 2 years :shock: just down to changing what direction i was going, or better/deals or even suggestions to try really. Trouble is with my work i spend a lot of time on my own, have internet access and have easily influenced mind when it comes to stuff to buy :D

Haha the same thing happens with me! Turns out to be very expensive, with lots of lost money, but I enjoy it and i'm not being a wreckhead so the wifey can't complain!
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum wrote:

Haha the same thing happens with me! Turns out to be very expensive, with lots of lost money, but I enjoy it and i'm not being a wreckhead so the wifey can't complain!
    Its my only vice really. i explain this to the wife on a regular basis when she complains about new shiney shiney. I watch 1 TV programe a week when its on (Top Gear) and a the F1 when its on, no football or anything, i dont go drinking with the lads all the time (read hardly ever) i dont smoke, so i think buying stuff that makes you healthier is a good thing! :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I usually change my frame approx every 6 months.. I don't know why, it's just a habit. I should stop really :oops:
  • VWsurfbum
    Stav wrote:
    I usually change my frame approx every 6 months.. I don't know why, it's just a habit. I should stop really :oops:
    pefectly normal behaviour
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Had my current full suss bike for 2 years and due to boredom looking to change for something different but everything I have tried so far was just a slight variation on the bike I already have nothing jumped out and said buy me.

If I get a new bike it will be something different like a full suss 29er or a stupid light carbon fibre hardtail. Otherwise cant be bothered might as well just get the frame powdercoated or anodised a different colour.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    bamba wrote:
    ...found a bike your happy with.
    I'm sorry I don't understand the question
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

Its my only vice really. i explain this to the wife on a regular basis when she complains about new shiney shiney. I watch 1 TV programe a week when its on (Top Gear) and a the F1 when its on, no football or anything, i dont go drinking with the lads all the time (read hardly ever) i dont smoke, so i think buying stuff that makes you healthier is a good thing! :wink:

Same as with me, I spend fark all money on other things, so i'm due some good stuff for the bike! The wife hates it, she doesn't even understand why I would spend 30 more on the bike for some bling to make me happy. I then politely say fark off, you have 5 life size cardboard cut outs of the characters from twilight that were 50 each, so you can't tell me nothing.
  • Arkady001
    Arkady001 Posts: 201
    Current bikes are:
    MTB - 15 years old
    Road (race) bike: 13 years old
    Road (training) bike 11 years old.

The MTB and race bike were custom builds, so unless they break there's no reason to change them as long as they keep performing. Parts can be upgraded as and when required.
    The MTB is titanium, so longevity isn't an issue - unless I decide to get ridiculously brutal, it should outlast me.
    It might need new forks in another year or so as parts for the ones fitted are phased out and with it being an older frame I'm slightly limited to what I can use because of head angles etc. Back then, 60mm was 'standard' travel and 80mm was long...lol
    Finding a 'good' spec fork with about the same performance as a 1996 Judy XC SL should be easy - I expect even budget forks today have about the same performance characteristics - but I still prefer to use V-Brakes and not many come with canti-brake bosses as standard.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I have enough bikes so I'm not looking to replace unless they fundamentally break, adn considering my mountain biking style isn't hardcore I can't see my mountain bike going unless I crash badly, which I generally avoid

I repair as much as I can and do maintenance at home unless I lack the skills
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Deepunder
    Deepunder Posts: 145
    VWsurfbum wrote:

Exactly my situation ! - my wife thought it was great I got back into riding, I was miserable after injury killed off my rugby and naked beer swilling antics (not binned boots yet though). I tell her she's lucky; the batteries on charge everywhere and using the kitchen table as a workshop annoys her, but, as I tell her, I could be spending hours building a model railway set in the loft wearing a railway mock train drivers outfit. I know what she'd prefer !

It's good to hear so many keep thier rides a long time. If it works, keep it especially when kit is so expensive these days. I still have my 10 year old Gary Fisher Big Sur HT which is great and my full suss I bought off a mate and that nearly 5 years old.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    in the loft wearing a railway mock train drivers outfit. I know what she'd prefer !

i dunno; your wife quite likes fancy dress.

:wink: