Moving on from SPD to flat pedals - good idea or stupid?

2»

Comments

• willnjim
    willnjim Posts: 13
    The saga continues....

Shimano AM40's are like rocking horse ***t.

Bought a pair too big and sent 'em back :( Shame as they were really well made although I felt a little like a 1950's kid complete with the propeller hat due to the odd styling :shock:

Bought a pair of AM41's (whatever possessed me?). Take a pair of 1980's trainers (market copies at about £5) and stick on a Vibram sole and charge £72. Back they go as I would rather ride barefoot.

Shimano, what is going on? Replace a well made (although odd looking) shoe with ****, take out the option of an insole stiffener, and charge about the same. Shame on you.

Still, managed to find someone who has a smaller size AM40 so my luck may be in. I’ll be odd, I don’t care if they are that good.

Is anyone else having the same issues or are we all resigned to 5:10's (great but a sponge on each foot) or some other compromise?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I bought a pair of Karrimor waterproof trainers. Stick like glue to my DMR pedals.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Flats on one, SPD's on the other. Seems logical for me anyway, best of both worlds.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Schmako wrote:
    Flats on one, SPD's on the other. Seems logical for me anyway, best of both worlds.
    you mean one on each foot? :lol:
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    love my shimano mp66s
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Schmako wrote:
    you mean one on each foot? :lol:

Damn right! It's going to catch on for sure!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Schmako wrote:

Can't believe that we got this far without saying this. I like both SPDs and flats and can't be arsed to change pedals over so run these highly unfashionable Shimano pedals.

Clip in for fire-roads, tech climbs, easy singletrack etc, flip them over for more extreme stuff. Use AM45 spd shoes.

Perfect

shimano%20m324%2004.jpg
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • voodooman
    voodooman Posts: 183
    Never really got on with spd, so use flats. I couldn't be arsed to buy special shoes for cycling either, so I use a pair of cross country running shoes by Saucony. Amazing grip, very light and very strong... and pretty good for running in too.

Sometimes I like to use the middle of my foot, especially slow techy stuff and balancing - but then move to the ball of my foot when putting the hammer down.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Can't believe that we got this far without saying this. I like both SPDs and flats and can't be arsed to change pedals over so run these highly unfashionable Shimano pedals.
    Clip in for fire-roads, tech climbs, easy singletrack etc, flip them over for more extreme stuff. Use AM45 spd shoes.
    Perfect
    Not so fast.
    I used to have a pair of these shimano-dx-m636-dh-pedals-2.jpg
    Which were great when clipped in, but absolutely useless when not.
    Those shimano ones you posted don't look like they have any pins either, and frankly, a plat pedal without pins may as well be made of ice.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Whats the big deal with unclipping for "more extreme" stuff? Is it just an excuse for being scared of the trail? Fail to see how unclipping makes it better for hard terrain because your foot is supposed to stay on the pedal either way surely? :?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's a preperation for failure thing... Which like all those, makes you more likely to fail :wink:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    SPDs will make your willy fall off, so beware of that.

Unclipping can allow you to distribute weight by sticking a foot out.
  • willnjim
    willnjim Posts: 13
    AM40's arrived at my LBS. The last pair of size 44’s in the world (seemingly).

Tried 'em on and they were too tight. I think these Shimano shoes were not to be unless you have women's feet. Weird as I have a couple of pairs of SPD which are ‘all day’ comfy.

Bought some 5:10 freeriders in the end out of pure frustration. Didn't want to do it but they actually fit.

Next problem. How do you get these sodding pedals off? Looks like the shop (read national store rhymes with 'heavens') put on my clipless pedals without any anti-seize paste. 8mm Allen key, GT85, boiling water all used and nothing :( Going to buy a long handled Allen key, if that fails back to the shop for some major moaning.....