Women's Insurance

Comments

• NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    NGale wrote:
    I still want to know how I pay more insurance on my 1.2 Fiat Punto with no points and 10 years accident free motoring than Jake does on his SLK and 6 points and an accident for while he was at fault 3 years ago.

I can only assume it's because he's an old git. :lol:

Hmm, I wonder if navy officers are low risk? Plus the Mercedes is an old man's car (sorry, Jake!), so the combination of age, vehicle and occupation may be actuarially attractive...

The Punto, OTOH, being driven by a young woman in a high risk occupation (Do I recall correctly that you work shifts in the general area of emergency medicine?)... may be considered high-risk by the insurer... have you shopped around much? Or considered changing cars to something driven by really boring people?

Cheers,
    W.

His job involves more driving around than mine (a few treks to London and back twice monthly as well as to Portsmouth) age may be on his side, but a £75k car isn't from my point of view, also his point history should really go against him. But yes he's an old git ;):lol:

When I was working for the ambulance service (left a few months back now, back in admin and a part time student) I was insurance wise classed as 'call centre' staff as I worked in the control room taking the 999 calls so never out on the road. So there wasn't an issue with being on the road in a high risk job. I might have broken a nail while answering the phone but not crash a car ;)
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    MrChuck wrote:
    This ruling actually does make sense

It is now illegal* to set prices based on the gender of the customer.

It doesn't make sense, because insurance prices aren't really set on gender- they're set according to the statistics describing the the risks associated with particular criteria. Women aren't being charged differently because they're women, they're being charged differently because the demographic to which they belong is shown to represent a different risk than other demographics.

Should women who live in houses on hills pay the same home insurance as men who live in houses on flood plains?*
    No, because they don't represent the same risk to the insurer. Their gender is not being taken into account, it's their chances of claiming that matter and if this is shown to be different for men and women then so be it.

Equality is fine but if there are measurable differences between the genders in a particular scenario then I don't see who gains by waving them away and saying everyone's the same.

*I don't know anything about home insurance but you get the point!

Don't be silly

They would pay the same as men who live on hills
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    MrChuck wrote:
    Should women who live in houses on hills pay the same home insurance as men who live in houses on flood plains?*

No, because they don't represent the same risk to the insurer. Their gender is not being taken into account, it's their chances of claiming that matter and if this is shown to be different for men and women then so be it.
    Ah, but you can choose whether you live on a flood plain or hill, or whether you drive safely or not.

Your sex/race/other innate characteristic is not something you can choose (well, not usually), so it is morally wrong to discriminate on that basis.
  • tailwindhome
    owenlars wrote:

As far as I am aware it has been illegal for a long time

My last hair cut £6.50. Wife's last haircut £75. Explain that then....

Actually simply looking at our respective haircuts would explain this difference very well...

£6.50 for a haircut?

[Jack Palance]City Folk![/Jack Palance]
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • MrChuck wrote:
    This ruling actually does make sense

It doesn't make sense, because insurance prices aren't really set on gender- they're set according to the statistics describing the the risks associated with particular criteria. Women aren't being charged differently because they're women, they're being charged differently because the demographic to which they belong is shown to represent a different risk than other demographics.

Equality is fine but if there are measurable differences between the genders in a particular scenario then I don't see who gains by waving them away and saying everyone's the same.

*I don't know anything about home insurance but you get the point!

The problem with charging based upon statistical risk is that you may find that race, religion, sexual orientation, hair colour etc. attracts different charges. I can see the Daily Mail headline now "British subsidise Ginger Lesbian Imigrants to drive luxury cars"
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    snailracer wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

Ah, but you can choose whether you live on a flood plain or hill, or whether you drive safely or not.

Your sex/race/other innate characteristic is not something you can choose (well, not usually), so it is morally wrong to discriminate on that basis.

I don't see that morals come into it. Is it morally wrong to say that women tend to be shorter than men?
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Strange thing is in some countries you insure the car and it doesn't matter who gets in and drives it. Avoids all the issues with who is or isn't insured and nonsense about naming drivers.

PS if you are single then name a friend of the opposite sex as co-driver. Works out cheaper
  • tailwindhome
    MrChuck wrote:
    snailracer wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

I don't see that morals come into it. Is it morally wrong to say that women tend to be shorter than men?

Would it not be wrong to assume all women are the same height, both in absolute terms and relative to men, and so charge them a different price for ladders?
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    Haven't tread whole thread, so apologies if this has been covered...

...but surely age discrimination is also illegal?
    "Coming through..."
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    What I could never understand is the fact that women have always, alwaqys hed it better than men in many respects, retire earlier/live longer, insurance cheaper, had doors opened for them, people stood on busses for them (showing my age) had time off for child rearing, posts held open for them to return to work, then they (and I) fought for womens lib, NOW they complain that having won so called equality they have to wait as long as a man to retire, and pay the same insurance.

When there is a divorce on the whole she gets the house and children and you ghet the bills.

Should of thought it out before you wanted equality, or did you expact the same benefits and more :twisted:

Women will finally have equality when I see them on the firing line in Afganistan, why should only young men be on the front line.

Fully paid up MCP and single DAD of three.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • snailracer
    MrChuck wrote:
    snailracer wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

Would it not be wrong to assume all women are the same height, both in absolute terms and relative to men, and so charge them a different price for ladders?
    :lol:
    Short women should just grow taller - problem solved.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    MrChuck wrote:
    snailracer wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

I'd say it's more like betting odds. If you could bet on mixed 100m sprints (maybe you can? I dunno) you probably wouldn't give them all the same odds, because you probably wouldn't expect that they all have the same chance of winning. It's likely that women will be less likely to win then men. Is there some sort of 70s- style discrimination against women going on, and is it immoral? I don't think so. It's just a recognition that group A are more likely to produce a given result than group B, and that's it.
  • NGale
    What I could never understand is the fact that women have always, alwaqys hed it better than men in many respects, retire earlier/live longer, insurance cheaper, had doors opened for them, people stood on busses for them (showing my age) had time off for child rearing, posts held open for them to return to work, then they (and I) fought for womens lib, NOW they complain that having won so called equality they have to wait as long as a man to retire, and pay the same insurance.

When there is a divorce on the whole she gets the house and children and you ghet the bills.

should have thought it out before you wanted equality, or did you expact the same benefits and more :twisted:

Women will finally have equality when I see them on the firing line in Afganistan, why should only young men be on the front line.

My bold there, and just a pointer. women are on the front line in Afghanistan and being shot at on a daily basis. Just because they are not in infantry regiments does not mean women aren't in the firing line.

Just look at the case of AB(MA) Kate Nesbett who while on patrol with a group of infantrymen saved the life of a rifleman who was shot in the neck and had to run across open ground while under fire to save the mans life. For her actions she won the Military Cross.

Then there is Pte Michelle Norris (RAMC) who again while on patrol with an infantry regiment saved the life of a man while under fire and again won the Military Cross being the first woman to do so.
  • If an actuary were to take the trouble to analyse the statistics along race lines and discovered that white people were on average a worse risk than black, would it be acceptable to charge accordingly? Discuss.
  • snailracer
    The car insurance companies can calculate risk from many factors, the most important being the driver's previous record. I don't see the problem, using sex was just a lazy shortcut.
  • NGale
    You just know insurance companies are just going to be raking it in. There will never be a chance that mens insurances costs would go down to meet those of women...god forbid the consumer should actually save money!
  • snailracer
    ...Women will finally have equality when I see them on the firing line in Afganistan, why should only young men be on the front line...
    Er... because our Army Chiefs, who are old men, bar women from infantry combat duty.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    "1,000 years from now there will be no guys and no girls, just wankers. Sounds great to me." - Irvine Welsh

Ridiculous equality laws like this will make it so.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    snailracer wrote:
    The car insurance companies can calculate risk from many factors, the most important being the driver's previous record. I don't see the problem, using sex was just a lazy shortcut.
    That's the point, it's not lazy, it's based on statistically significant, empirically measured sexual differences in perception of risk. It is an idealistic ruling and is anti science
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Women have less accidents simply because there are less women drivers on the road.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • tailwindhome
    JR I've said it before and I'll say it again....You're an absolute gem.
  • snailracer
    edited March 2011
    snailracer wrote:
    That's the point, it's not lazy, it's based on statistically significant, empirically measured sexual differences in perception of risk. It is an idealistic ruling and is anti science
    I agree there is likely a statistical difference between men and women drivers. However, this will be demonstrated in their claims history, choice of car, where they live, etc. which are more accurate predictors of risk as far as insurance is concerned, and more accurate than the driver's sex.

I am sure you could find a statistical difference between people of different colour, but that, apparently, would not be acceptable. If racism is banned, why not ban sexism as well?

Society decides what is fair and just and not the insurers, who still have plenty of other info to assess the risk. Otherwise, it is tail wagging dog.

It's also one less question in the annoyingly long list of questions the insurers ask you.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756

should have thought it out before you wanted equality, or did you expact the same benefits and more :twisted:

Yeah! You know who are the most discriminated against group in this country today? White, Middle-class, Males.

AMEN BROTHER!

Silly women have it so good.

:P
  • snailracer
    ^^
    You can always get a sex change, y'know? :P
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    snailracer wrote:
    ^^

Are you kidding? Transgender people are the victims of harsh discrimination. Some even say more so than white middle-class males.
  • snailracer
    notsoblue wrote:
    snailracer wrote:
    ^^

Are you kidding? Transgender people are the victims of harsh discrimination. Some even say more so than white middle-class males.
    But at least they'll get the same car insurance deal :)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    On Teenagers, they should pay the same. I'm tired of teenagers being heralded as societies outcasts.

I agree with the sentiment, DDD, but insurance is all about risk - and teenies are a BAD risk.

As are old f%rts, for different reasons - they tend to cause accidents. Thankfully my mum and Grandad both packed in driving when they realised they were getting a big past it. Most don't - because they are slaves to cars and, in many cases, damned selfish.

I'd make oldies take some form of test every couple of years (and pay for it), but sadly that's not going to happen any time soon, too many votes lost...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    NGale wrote:
    I still want to know how I pay more insurance on my 1.2 Fiat Punto with no points and 10 years accident free motoring than Jake does on his SLK and 6 points and an accident for while he was at fault 3 years ago.

I can only assume it's because he's an old git. :lol:

Seems odd that IIRC you're a paramedic, therefore a police-trained driver? Surely your premiums should be buttons, unless you're a 17 year old paramedic :lol:

Who's the Para in your avatar?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I thought it a silly ruling at first but have come around to the idea.
    I expect it'll just mean that the penalties for causing an accident will be more severe. Boy and girl both start at £1000 for example, and there'll be more boys that crash ('cause that's what the stats show will happen) so by year 2 then 80% of the girls will be on £750 and 80% of the boys at £1250.
    That a male who has demonstrated an ability to drive well is charged the same as a female with identical record does seem fair.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I'm a 28-year-old burd with 2 cars, therefore I don't support this ruling.

When I'm 65, however, I'll love it. Mind you, it will probably have changed back by then.