Since when does doing the right thing make you a sucker?

2»

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    jayson wrote:
    owenlars wrote:
    Two wrongs don't make a right......... clear?

I'll try and bear that in mind the next time im nearly killed, wiped out or dangerously cut off :roll:

dont be such a drama queen.

I'll be aiming for him just for the hell of it. keeping a lookout for the hair.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jayson wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    jayson wrote:
    owenlars wrote:
    Two wrongs don't make a right......... clear?

I'll try and bear that in mind the next time im nearly killed, wiped out or dangerously cut off :roll:

So someone else acts like a dick, you act like a dick to another unrelated person? Good one I think that's called escalation of violence. See WWII.

If it hopefully keeps me alive then yeh im gon do whatever it takes, if it upsets a few people then so be it, i think of them exactly as much as they think of me.

LOL, you being an asshole is not going to help you at all. If anything, it makes it worse for cyclists. Makes people want to drive off more because of twods like you.
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Jayson, I place the bounty of innertube and handlebar wrap on your head. Cooldad get your axe and whack the thing between those and the mad man's head. Proper lesson shall be learnt.

OP, you did the right thing. Good karma will reward you in some way or the other. Big respect to responsible people.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • ad213812 wrote:
    Today I rode in to the back of a taxi and broke his rear light. There is no doubt in my mind that the accident was 100% my fault so I have offered to buy a new rear light to replace the one that I broke. However, there have been mumblings from other cyclists. I have been told that I should have just rode off or told him to go f^&k himself. Basically I have been called sucker for doing the right thing and I'm pissed off about it.

Since when does doing the right thing make you a sucker??

They'd soon change their tune if it was them that got smashed into.
  • Crazybear
    Crazybear Posts: 33
    Good going, as you can see you are not alone. It takes real grapes to be a stand-up
    kinda person. The others, and I have known a few, are of the philosophy that
    caring or giving a shit about something is not "Cool". Screw those loosers.
    "Leave the gun, take the cannoli"
  • Arkady001
    Arkady001 Posts: 201
    Most taxi-drivers are indeed pretty appalling - maybe though by this small act, that particular taxi driver may now view 'us' in a slightly different light...and give us an extra half-meter clearance...
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    jayson wrote:
    I want to balance out all the self righteousness oozing from this thread abit. I bike to work 5 days a week and the number of times ive been cut up, cut off, had things pull out infront of me, blatantly ignore me as if im completely invisible, had doors opened on, actually pushed off my bike cos of muppets opening their doors etc etc etc is absolutely beyond a joke.

I have atleast one serious incident or very near miss a week and usually its more than that because drivers think they own the road, then theres the pedestrians that seemingly abide to no rules whatsoever when crossing the roads....

I have zero patience or tolerence for car, bus, van drivers and if it was me i would have rode off without a second thought just like they do with me everytime im nearly seriously injured or worse :evil:
    It sounds to me like you're being treated in the same way that you're treating others. I sometimes commute by bike and yes there are tw@ts about who don't drive very considerately, but there are a lot who amaze me by their patience. If you ride considerately, then generally I think people appreciate it and will treat you with respect. If you ride like Mr big bo!!ocks people can tell very quickly and will treat you accordingly.

We need to move away from the “them & us attitude” that exists currently. I’m a petrol head, love my cars etc. But a-holes like Jeremy Clarkson need to stop spouting their bull about cyclists because there are too many mindless people who watch his shows and believe it. If he had half a brain he’d be encouraging more people to cycle, that way there would be less cars getting in my way when I'm driving…
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • I was once touched by god in deepest South East Asia, an indescribable experience bearing in mind I was religion's biggest sceptic.

Karma, Merit Making or lack of + Reincarnation = the difference between being re-born as something good or bad. :wink:
  • cooldad
    I was once touched by god in deepest South East Asia, an indescribable experience bearing in mind I was religion's biggest sceptic.

Karma, Merit Making or lack of + Reincarnation = the difference between being re-born as something good or bad. :wink:

I must have been really evil in a previous life in that case.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • marksteven
    marksteven Posts: 208
    always do the right thing ignore the muppets if we all did that what a lovely world this would be :roll:
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I was once touched by god in deepest South East Asia, an indescribable experience bearing in mind I was religion's biggest sceptic.

:shock: Are you Glen Hoddle???
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • cooldad
    PaulBox wrote:

That was no god, that was a ladyboy.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I think the key to this is treat people as you want to be treated. I'd be livid if a cyclist hit my car and rode off as I'd never do that to anyone else's car.

Although, if they've done something wrong it's a different story. My mate got passed by a taxi which instantly stuck it's indicator on and turned left across him, he had little/no chance of stopping so dropped his shoulder and hit the lighting cluster (he says he saw it break - he is a rugby player so a big powerful lad) and rode off. That one was completely fair to me as the taxi could have wiped him out.

There must be some taxi drivers out there who are also cyclists and will give us the proper amount of room, anyone admitting to driving taxis????
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    Can I just add, join British Cycling or the CTC or something similar. You get 3rd party insurance to cover things like this.
  • cooldad wrote:
    PaulBox wrote:

That was no god, that was a ladyboy.

Highly predictable cheap insult.

That;s +1 Karma points for me, -1 KP for you.

Please continue. :lol: