Since when does doing the right thing make you a sucker?

ad213812
ad213812 Posts: 59
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Today I rode in to the back of a taxi and broke his rear light. There is no doubt in my mind that the accident was 100% my fault so I have offered to buy a new rear light to replace the one that I broke. However, there have been mumblings from other cyclists. I have been told that I should have just rode off or told him to go f^&k himself. Basically I have been called sucker for doing the right thing and I'm pissed off about it.

Since when does doing the right thing make you a sucker??

Comments

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    I'm with you, well done.!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If he'd driven over you and just driven off they'd be up in arms. Ignore them - idiots.
    You did the right thing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kja
    kja Posts: 259
    Well done mate, you did the right thing. Don't let the so and sos who say otherwise get you down.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited March 2011
    Jesus loves you but the other cyclists will burn in Hell :wink:
  • Grifcp
    Grifcp Posts: 283
    ad213812 wrote:
    Since when does doing the right thing make you a sucker??

Since never, and anyone who tells you otherwise betrays them self as a total a___hole.
    Your honesty and integrity does you credit.
  • popularname
    popularname Posts: 173
    +1 in spade, mate. Too many people would do a runner. They're pathetic. You're a star.
    just adding to the chorus here, you did the right thing. Don't really know anyone who would think differently tbh :shock:
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    Mate its good karma!

i reckon that being treated as you wanted to be treated is the key to this

A bet the taxi driver will have a better opinion of cyclist for it!

tell the neigh sayers to do one!
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Well done, only low lifes would do a runner.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    you did the right thing, good work.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • ad213812
    Thanks for the support on this one.

I am now smiling as the repair bill has come in and it's not too bad, the taxi driver got his mate to source the part and fit it so it's come in cheaper than I thought it would. Yaaaaayyyy.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    ad213812 wrote:
    Thanks for the support on this one.

I am now smiling as the repair bill has come in and it's not too bad, the taxi driver got his mate to source the part and fit it so it's come in cheaper than I thought it would. Yaaaaayyyy.

Good to hear. Good karma all round I think.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    you did the right thing, ignore whoever the idiots were. Who are these 'other cyclists' by the way? They shouldn't call themselves cyclists
  • Your a mug. What is wrong with you?

Only joking dude, glad to hear ya did the right thing. Not many people do these days. It's become the norm to break other peoples stuff, and pretend it didn't happen, leaving someone else in the pooper because of your mistake. I hate people like that.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    who are the people calling you a mug?
  • ad213812

People who I thought knew better!!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    doing the right thing is the right thing to do. Well done.

I reversed into a parked car a few months back... knocked on the owners door and appologised. They took my insurance details and interestingly I've heard nothing back. I get the feeling they were uninsured as she couldn't speak a word of English. I hope that is karma thanking me for 'doing the gith thing' :)
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    You did the right thing, it's the cyclists that would have a go and/or do a runner that give us the bad reputation!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    If you think it was your fault and aren't being ripped off on the cost of new rear light lense then fair play to you.

But the part of me that hates taxi drivers and this part was infuriated last week after having to taken major evasive action to avoid being right hooked by one, says you should have d-locked the driver on principal :roll:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    few weeks ago a taxi driver charged me 9 quid for what is normally a fiver

i was a bit worse for wear and said, "really, 9 quid??!, him: "yer". i handed over a tenner and he stuck a quid in my hand and then i had a bit of a moment: just sat there swaying with my hand still out and eyes glazed.. He hesitated, then said "sorry mate, that was a £20 right?" i grunted and he gave me a £10 note.

drunk jedi mind trick 8)
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I want to balance out all the self righteousness oozing from this thread abit. I bike to work 5 days a week and the number of times ive been cut up, cut off, had things pull out infront of me, blatantly ignore me as if im completely invisible, had doors opened on, actually pushed off my bike cos of muppets opening their doors etc etc etc is absolutely beyond a joke.

I have atleast one serious incident or very near miss a week and usually its more than that because drivers think they own the road, then theres the pedestrians that seemingly abide to no rules whatsoever when crossing the roads....

I have zero patience or tolerence for car, bus, van drivers and if it was me i would have rode off without a second thought just like they do with me everytime im nearly seriously injured or worse :evil:
  • owenlars
    jayson wrote:
    I have zero patience or tolerence for car, bus, van drivers and if it was me i would have rode off without a second thought just like they do with me everytime im nearly seriously injured or worse :evil:

Don't see what your problems have to do with someone else who has acted completely correctly after an accident.
  • jayson
    owenlars wrote:
    jayson wrote:

Don't see what your problems have to do with someone else who has acted completely correctly after an accident.

For those that cant read between the lines im saying he was an idiot :roll: taxi drivers especially are the spawn of the devil and deserve everythin they get and if it was me i wouldnt have batted an eyelid, its karma for all the times they nearly kill me.

Clear enough?
  • owenlars
    Two wrongs don't make a right......... clear?
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    ad213812 wrote:

People who I thought knew better!!

Is it?

Or is it (as is more often the case) one opinionated knob and a bunch of sheep that couldn't form an opinion if they tried?
    "Coming through..."
  • jayson
    owenlars wrote:

I'll try and bear that in mind the next time im nearly killed, wiped out or dangerously cut off :roll:
  • cooldad
    jayson wrote:
    owenlars wrote:

I'll try and bear that in mind the next time im nearly killed, wiped out or dangerously cut off :roll:

So someone else acts like a dick, you act like a dick to another unrelated person? Good one I think that's called escalation of violence. See WWII.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • jayson
    cooldad wrote:
    jayson wrote:
    owenlars wrote:

So someone else acts like a dick, you act like a dick to another unrelated person? Good one I think that's called escalation of violence. See WWII.

If it hopefully keeps me alive then yeh im gon do whatever it takes, if it upsets a few people then so be it, i think of them exactly as much as they think of me.
  • cooldad
    jayson wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    jayson wrote:
    owenlars wrote:

If it hopefully keeps me alive then yeh im gon do whatever it takes, if it upsets a few people then so be it, i think of them exactly as much as they think of me.

How is abusing an unrelated person going to keep you alive?
    Sounds to me like you've fallen on your head once too often.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    jayson wrote:
    owenlars wrote:

dont be such a drama queen.