Burgess Hill Springtime Classic Cyclosportive 20th March.

THE BURGESS HILL SPRINGTIME CLASSIC CYCLOSPORTIVE

This years Burgess Hill Springtime Classic Cyclosportive is on the 20th March.

There are three routes to choose from :-

Classic 71 miles
Challenge 53 miles
Tour 35 miles

Notable hills on the Classic ride are, Pillow Mounds Hill, Kidds Hill, Groombridge Hill, with all routes going up the infamous short but steep Cob Lane Hill and the Ardingly Reservoir Hills,

CLOSING DATE 10th March
Website http://www.srs-events.cc

Comments

• leejdavies
    leejdavies Posts: 217
    Doing this for the first time (and my second sportive) this year.

On a scale of 1–10 how bad are the climbs? Any watch-outs?
    Up: Wilier Mortirolo
    Down: Orange Patriot
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    They are fine, "the wall" is more of a gentle slope, Cob Lane is steep but very short.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • bcss
    bcss Posts: 174
    climbs are not a problem, just get enough spare tubes, I punctured 3x last year
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    Thinking of this, looks good.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • leejdavies
    leejdavies Posts: 217
    Excellent. Good tip with the tubes I'll be sure to fill up the seatpack.

Flanners1, You should get involved. However, how would you choose a ride? :shock:
    eenie meenie miney moe :lol:
    Up: Wilier Mortirolo
    Down: Orange Patriot
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    I'm up for this if you can arrive in time from south London on the train.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Evil Laugh wrote:
    I'm up for this if you can arrive in time from south London on the train.

The start/finish town has two mainline stations (Burgess Hill & Wivelsfield). They are on the main London - Brighton line so are regularly sevred by trains from both Victoria & London Bridge.
  • flanners1
    leejdavies wrote:

Flanners1, You should get involved. However, how would you choose a ride? :shock:

Yes it is a bit like that, except if it is inclement weather and then it is the Viner with mudguards and winter wheels! Going to sign up and do this did HOTA weekend before last, hoping for good weather :D
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • flanners1
    leejdavies wrote:

Yes it is a bit like that, except if it is inclement weather and then it is the Viner with mudguards and winter wheels! Going to sign up and do this did HOTA weekend before last, hoping for good weather for this too :D
    Bizango 29er
  • Boleynboy
    Boleynboy Posts: 83
    Butterd2 wrote:
    They are fine, "the wall" is more of a gentle slope, Cob Lane is steep but very short.

That is the first time I have heard anyone describe Kidds Hill (The Wall) as a gentle slope! I would like to know what you consider to be a steep slope? The Wall is 10-15% all the way up the last section which is often called the tunnel, not the hardest climb you will ever ride but certainly not to be dismissed as a 'gentle slope'.
    Cobbs Lane is the sting in the tail of this ride, it appears right near the end and is 22% at its steepest point, but it is mercifully short!
    This is a good early season sportive which has enjoyed great weather in the past, beware the organiser's claim of a free meal at the end of the ride (do not know if they are offering this on this ride) however, this was offered on one of their summer sportives last year and it turned out to be a dry ham sandwich and packet of crisps in a brown paper bag!
  • guillaume
    guillaume Posts: 35
    kidds hill is uncomfortable, but cobb lane hill is more worthy of 'Wall' status - especially the view as you drop down before the ascent
  • SRS Events
    SRS Events Posts: 264
    The longest and hardest route on the Burgess Hill Springtime Classic Cyclosportive is the Classic Route at 71 miles

Classic Map can be viewed by following the link below

http://www.routeyou.com/route/view/5748 ... -200311.en

Statistics Link below

http://www.routeyou.com/route/stats/574 ... -200311.en

Other maps to follow
  • SRS Events
    711 entered

Late entries available until the 17th March on line :-
    http://www.srs-events.cc/event1/how-to-enter.htm

Obviously there is some debate here about how hard the hills are but then it all depends on how fast your are going up them as well doesn't it

GOLD Standards awarded if you do the 71 mile CLASSIC course faster than the following :-
    Men Under 18 4h 35 min
    Women Under 18 4h 40 min
    Men 18 - 39 4h 20 min
    Women 18 - 39 4h 30 min
    Men 40 - 49 4h 35 min
    Women 40 -49 4h 40 min
    Men 50 - 59 4h 40 min
    Women 50 - 59 4h 45 min
    Men 60 & over 4h 55 min
    Women 60 & over 5h 00 min

Some of the fastest riders have done the course in under 4 hours.

But remember this is not a race please take your time and enjoy the route.

Classic riders don't have to stop at all feed stations if they don't want to but they must stop at Hever Village Hall to book in their timing chip.

Gears

We recommend 50-34 x 11x23 or 53-39 x 12-25

[/u]
  • Butterd2
    Boleynboy wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

That is the first time I have heard anyone describe Kidds Hill (The Wall) as a gentle slope! I would like to know what you consider to be a steep slope?

See my "Col Collection" in my signature. Kidds Hill would be a little out of place on there.

(The Marie Blanque is probably still the climb I fear the most)
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • I'm only doing the smaller route but the longest road climb I have been on is to the top of Leith Hill. How do the hills on this route compare?
  • SRS Events
    Leith hill is hard and in general much longer than the climbs you will be doing on the Smaller ride (tour route) on the Springtime Classic.
    But .......... Cob Lane although short is steep at 20%, if you have lost your leg strength before Cob lane then you will be in a little trouble.
    THERE IS NO SHAME IN HAVING TO WALK UP COB LANE...............or is there :evil:

On the short ride (Tour Route) there is also the Ardingly reservoir hills to conquer, it is difficult to compare these hills with Leith Hill but they are a little bit easier than Leith Hill.
    Then again if you suffered up Cob Lane your going to die a thousand deaths getting up the Ardingly reservoir hills. Thankfully the organisers have organised a feed station in Ardingly after the Cob Lane hill and before the Ardingly Reservoir hills.

See You Sunday :!:
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    Gutted that i can't make it this year, first spring one i would have missed, but just can't get out of work. Have always had a good time on them, have fun and i will be doing one later in the year.
  • Ha, I'm doing this on 55-39 x 11-23. I think I shall be dying a slow and painful death!
  • Boleynboy
    Boleynboy Posts: 83
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Boleynboy wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

That is the first time I have heard anyone describe Kidds Hill (The Wall) as a gentle slope! I would like to know what you consider to be a steep slope?

See my "Col Collection" in my signature. Kidds Hill would be a little out of place on there.

I did and it is all very impressive I am sure, but you were still giving the wrong impression to someone who has not climbed Kidds Hill by suggesting it is a gentle slope because it is not, no matter how many cols you have conquered!
  • Butterd2
    Boleynboy wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Boleynboy wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

I did and it is all very impressive I am sure, but you were still giving the wrong impression to someone who has not climbed Kidds Hill by suggesting it is a gentle slope because it is not, no matter how many cols you have conquered!

Yeah fair enough but it's not insurmountable and I certainly wouldn't want someone not to come along because of it.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • bam49
    bam49 Posts: 159
    Kidds Hill was ok - goes on a bit but not too tough. Cobb Lane was the one to worry about, seen several riders get off and walk it..

Just got back home from a great day out on the Burgess Hill Classic.. Very well run event - sign on was quick and easy, signs were good and plentiful and there was plenty of grub at the food stations.. Pre start bacon rolls were v nice and only a quid ...
    I thought the 15 miles or so after Ardingley Reservoir were the hardest, draggy roads into a headwind had me wishing for a small group to come past so I could suck some fast wheels :) ... I did not feel that fast, need to lose a few more pounds and get some longer, hilly rides in but I was pleased to scrape a Gold with 4:29 for the 71 miles..
    All in all a great day out, I would definitely recomend this event.. Looking forward now to SRS ' Eastbourne sportive in May..
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    bam49 wrote:
    Kidds Hill was ok - goes on a bit but not too tough. Cobb Lane was the one to worry about, seen several riders get off and walk it..

Just got back home from a great day out on the Burgess Hill Classic.. Very well run event - sign on was quick and easy, signs were good and plentiful and there was plenty of grub at the food stations.. Pre start bacon rolls were v nice and only a quid ...

All in all a great day out, I would definitely recomend this event.. Looking forward now to SRS ' Eastbourne sportive in May..
    Me and Cobb lane are not speaking!.

As above once again all great, from start to finish, my only gripe is something you have no control over anyway, and that the quality of the roads.
    They went from fairly shocking to down right dangerous in places, sadly I doubt I'll be making it for a third time, I just can't imagine my 'lucky' holding for another 53 miles.

It's a real shame because as said it's easily the best organised event I attend, so well done for that.
  • I agree the state of the roads were really bad. There was a really annoying bump every 15 metres or so along the main road back to Burgess Hill that wanted to suck the last dregs of energy from my limbs and totally destroy any tempo I had going. But it was still a well run event with loads of food but not enough time to eat much of it! Little disappointed with the lack of tuna in my roll at then end though.
  • spezial
    spezial Posts: 142
    PostieJohn wrote:
    bam49 wrote:
    As above once again all great, from start to finish, my only gripe is something you have no control over anyway, and that the quality of the roads.
    They went from fairly shocking to down right dangerous in places, sadly I doubt I'll be making it for a third time, I just can't imagine my 'lucky' holding for another 53 miles.

+1 Superbly organised event, lots of well stocked feed stations, super smooth signing on and good signage. I've done 2 SRS events now, and that has been the case with both of them, looks like a lot of work has gone in to staffing the HQ and route. The route itself is really good too, I've entered their 127 mile Tour de Weald in June, which looks pretty daunting!

Also +1 on the roads. Obviously nothing to do with the event, but a lot of the country roads in mid Sussex/ Kent are really dangerous at the moment, at times there's not a lot you can do apart from hope for the best when you're going descending down narrow lanes. I know it's down to the previous snowfall and freezing conditions, and that these back roads aren't a priority for repair, so I'm not sure what the answer is. As PostieJohn says, I feel like I've used up my 9 lives on roads in this area, and it's only a matter of time before I have a serious off.
    "what's it pertaining?"
  • spezial
    spezial Posts: 142
    Sorry, didn't delete the tags properly, didn't realise I was quoting bam49, so substitute his name into that last sentence!
    "what's it pertaining?"
  • bam49
    bam49 Posts: 159
    Yeah - I have to agree about the state of some of the lanes..On the Classic route, there was a fast downhill section just before the final run in to Burgess Hill that was pretty hairy, lots of gravel, large puddles on both sides of narrow lane and I started fishtailing through it as I was hanging off the back of the saddle.. One With The Big Wang ( such a long user name :) ), - I remember that regular bump - most annoying...
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I did the VO2 sportive and it joined with the SRS for some miles.

Agree with the state of the roads. Descending on some hills was awful.

Toys Hill is very bad.

I have a very stiff bike (Canyon CF with Mavic R-sys wheels) and this setup really gave some sketchy moments due to the road surfaces.

Kent County council really need to pull their finger out.
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    Really well organised evet. Staff were all really friendly and the food was plentifull and more than enough to refuel you at the end. Liked the big screen showng cycle videos at the end also.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    leejdavies wrote:

He didnt show-up so guess he couldnt decide which bike to ride.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    The timing chips on ribbons were antiquated and mine stank of the sweat of a thousand riders before me. They need to be washed or updated. Had to ride the complete 71 miles alone – there were no groups for some reason. If that certificate is the best they can do they may as well not bother. Tougher than the Hell and a good ride apart from the third world roads.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo